Multiples

Calories

How many extra calories per day are you all consuming being that you're carrying more than 1? I read somewhere it's 300 more each baby. That seems like such a huge amount so I'm curious to know what you all are doing?

I use an app called myfitnesspal and have been using it since becoming pregnant so I don't want anything to think I'm going crazy stressing over calories. Just curious. Thanks.
1st child DOB 9/3/02

SO and I met 6/25/06

Married 9/2/12

Due date 1/16/16 with our twins!

Re: Calories

• I don't really track calories but have also heard 300 extra calories, per baby--so 600 for twins. I just try to eat lots of small snacks throughout they day & don't stress if I splurge on something :)
    DH & I married 12/17/2012
    Me (31)-dx w/PCOS 2007, when married to ex-husband after MC
    DH (41)-no MFI
    07/2014-Femara 5mg + trigger + IUI= chem preg ;(
    08/2014-Femara 5mg + trigger + IUI + 2nd trigger= BFN
    09/2014-Clomid 100mg + trigger + IUI + 2nd trigger= BFN
    10/2014-benched due to RE out of town, tying naturally!
    11/2014-benched due to cyst
    12/2014-Femara 5mg + stair step with additional 5 days Femara 5mg + trigger + IUI=BFN
    01/2015-Femara 5mg + Gonal F 25 units + trigger (plus additional Gonal F 100 units on trigger night) + IUI= BFP!!! Twins due 10/2015
    09/28/2015- Surprise!  Conrad and Hudson born at 35w6d!  
  • Oops, I meant to say I've been using this app since BEFORE becoming pregnant. I've been using it about 2 years now so I don't want anyone to think I'm depriving myself lol. Thanks
    1st child DOB 9/3/02

SO and I met 6/25/06

Married 9/2/12

• Loading the player...
  • It is 300 per baby- I have triplets so basically I need to consume about 3000 calories per day!
    It's overwhelming really. It also takes a lot of calcium to grow three skeletons. I've switched to whole milk and try to drink lots of it. I also add a carnation instant breakfast to milk and have that in addition to a meal.
    Hyperemesis has made it pretty difficult to get food in period, so when I actually can eat and crave something, I eat it!
    My fitness pal is great for tracking, if you aren't meeting your cal goal, try to add in something high calorie- protein bar maybe?

Two years, two losses and three IUIs...

We are having TRIPLETS!

EDD 1/26/16

GGB born November 2015!

• @Kelley421 thank you so much. And wow congratulations on your triplets! An extra 3000 calories. I didn't eat the normal 2000 calories a month before pregnancy so I couldn't imagine me eating 2600 today. I tend to do between 1700 and 2000. I'm thinking I'm doing okay. How far along are you?
    1st child DOB 9/3/02

SO and I met 6/25/06

Married 9/2/12

• I didn't track my calories but after I got Gestational diabetes during my pregnancy my diet switched to high protein, and eating multiple small meals a day which really helped with morning sickness. I gained very little weight, but had very healthy babies. :) just talk with your doctor :)
  • @keshakdavis I am 13w4d, due Jan 26.
    That many calories IS insane! Now I've found out I'm anemic, my hemoglobin yesterday was less than 10 :/
    I can't stand iron pills, they make me so sick, so I'm not sure what we will do. I also read calcium can inhibit iron uptake- it's like, damned if you do, damned if you don't!
    Perhaps your OB knows of a dietician that can help? I'm thinking that may be the next step for us too!

We are having TRIPLETS!

EDD 1/26/16

GGB born November 2015!

• @kelley421 - you may want to try ferrous gluconate instead of ferrous sulfate for your iron pills. You can get it at any drugstore (ask the Pharmacist if you can't find because sometimes it's behind the counter). It was waaaaaay better on my stomach than the other kind. Ferrous sulfate is cheaper and more common so I think most people think it's the only kind.
  • I have just been eating to hunger and listening to my body. I have noticed I feel much better when I eat tons of protein and fruits. I haven't bothered with tracking calories. I am 34 weeks and 5 days and have gained 35 pounds. My OB wanted me to gain 45 total, so I am doing well. I have lost inches in my legs and arms though. My boys are both measuring ahead on the ultrasound and growing very well.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @blairdavis99 thanks for the tip! I will check this out tomorrow!

We are having TRIPLETS!

EDD 1/26/16

GGB born November 2015!

• @kelley421 - no prob! Hope it works for you. I was hospitalized at 31 weeks and literally brought it with me to the hospital because they only gave out the yucky sulfate kind. Every time I got a new nurse I had to tell them about my "special" iron pills. It was a pain in the butt but it was that important to me!
  • My OB said I should not worry about caloric intake and just listen to my body and eat when I am hungry.  

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • @happyandhopeful3 mine said the same thing. I went in to be seen yesterday and talked to her about it. I was worried I was gaining too much weight because I keep comparing myself to my first pregnancy when I was 20 years old and only carrying one. I didn't show until almost 6 months and here I am looking like I'm already 6 months. I've gained 12 pounds and I'm 17 weeks today and she said even if I were only carrying one that amount would  be normal. I feel so much better now. No more stressing myself about what I'm eating, although I will continue eating healthy and working out but I won't stress about it.
    1st child DOB 9/3/02

SO and I met 6/25/06

Married 9/2/12

• @keshakdavis, I went back to look at this thread, as I had an appointment yesterday and gained 12 lbs at 16 weeks. So I am at the same pace as you- no stress!  

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Yay someone to help me not feel so bad. I was beginning to feel so fat and bloated and out of control. It is difficult to know what is considered normal with a twin pregnancy because I only have my singleton to compare it to.
    Thank you
    1st child DOB 9/3/02

SO and I met 6/25/06

Married 9/2/12

• blsav23blsav23 member
    edited August 2015
    Oh, I've gained at least a pound a week & have been assured (repeatedly) that my weight gain is fine. I was 124lbs pre pregnancy & am 161lbs at 30 weeks.
    Edited for spelling
    DH & I married 12/17/2012
    Me (31)-dx w/PCOS 2007, when married to ex-husband after MC
    DH (41)-no MFI
    07/2014-Femara 5mg + trigger + IUI= chem preg ;(
    08/2014-Femara 5mg + trigger + IUI + 2nd trigger= BFN
    09/2014-Clomid 100mg + trigger + IUI + 2nd trigger= BFN
    10/2014-benched due to RE out of town, tying naturally!
    11/2014-benched due to cyst
    12/2014-Femara 5mg + stair step with additional 5 days Femara 5mg + trigger + IUI=BFN
    01/2015-Femara 5mg + Gonal F 25 units + trigger (plus additional Gonal F 100 units on trigger night) + IUI= BFP!!! Twins due 10/2015
    09/28/2015- Surprise!  Conrad and Hudson born at 35w6d!