Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Options

Handling nosey people ( little rant )

mybabyama15mybabyama15 member
edited July 2015 in Babies: 3 - 6 Months
hi all, I have a 4 month old baby girl and even before she was born people would ask me if I was going to be breastfeeding her, I did plan I doing so and I still do but it just surprises me how important it is to everyone to know if I'm bfing or not :/ . When I say yes I'm told I'm doing good and that I'm breastfeeding is the best

Re: Handling nosey people ( little rant )

• Options
    I was at the Dr a few weeks ago with my twins and started chatting with a 90-year old man (he told me his age). The very first question he asked me was whether I was breastfeeding. Not are they twins? Or how old? Or one of each? The very first thing on his mind was breastfeeding! That is seriously a concern of a 90-year old man? It was so strange....
  • Options
    Maybe because it isn't that common for twins to be bf or at least not exclusively? May have had twins in his family and/or some how related to him during his 90 years here lol ? Haha not sure, you should have laughed and made some joke! At 90 years I can't imagine what really goes through your head and how clear minded or aware you are of your behavior especially socially lol!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Mummy0315Mummy0315 member
    edited July 2015
    @mybabyama15 people will always be nosy and judgemental especially with parenting. Just say, well this is what works for us, every baby is different, or to each their own and move on. Do what you feels comfortable for you and YOUR baby! This is your child and you're its mommy, you make the decisions! It's great to take advice and learn more about different topics from others but don't feel like you're doing something wrong if it works for you and your little one, especially if they are healthy!
  • Options
    @mybabymama15 maybe they were trying to be supportive? I know a few ladies that didn't have any support breastfeeding, so they tend to over-support anyone who is trying to breastfeed. At least I like to think they were being supportive. 
  • Options
    @mybabymama15 I get it. I also BF my daughter, but I don't advertise it, nor do I do it because I think its the "best". I do it so I don't have to spend money on formula.  I find it odd when people are holding my daughter & she gets a little fussy & their first reaction is "she must want the boob" (from my FIL).  Stop talking about my boobs unless you're my doctor, kid (who can't talk - she's 5 months), or husband.
  • Options
    i had a similar experience, not about BF though. i was on the bus with my LO and this lady started asking questions, at first it was oh how old ? boy or girl? then she started getting more personal when was he born? was he early? i told her they delivered him early. then why? i was induced bc of placenta lakes i didn't tell her that though. THEN SHE HAD THE NERVE TO ASK ME HOW MUCH WEIGHT I GAINED !! i was so shocked! i couldn't believe it. like who asks a complete stranger that on bus?? and the questions. then she was going on my feet and how they were going to swell i told her my feet only swelled for like 4 days PP, but oh no they were going to swell back up again ! she just wouldn't leave me alone. i actually got off the bus early bc i couldn't take it any more. .. some days i just wish i was more of a b**ch and tell people to mind there own business. Some people just don't have boundaries, or know when to take a hint.
  • Options
    Who cares. Don't give that crap a second thought.
  • Options
    I have found that my mommy friends ask and they don't care what the answer is, but when they find out I am they serve as a support system. Breastfeeding is hard and I have found to appreciate the community of mommy friends I have. Their tips whether they're breastfeeding now or in the past are helpful to me.
  • Options
    Don't take it personally. I run a music nonprofit and one of the soloists at a concert (an elderly Russian man) asked me at top volume just offstage if I "had milk". The first few rows in the audience could definitely hear him. When I nodded, he was thrilled for some reason. What can you do, lol? Nosy, but whatever. People are nuts.