Success after IF
Options

If you usually spotted before AF, did you have any spotting when you got your BFP?

DH and I have been TTC for 15 cycles. Each cycle, I usually spot 2-3 days before AF rears her nasty face. Each month it makes this TTC roller-coaster ride even worse. I get depressed that I'm out, then try to convince myself maybe it's late implantation bleeding or perhaps decidual bleeding, then get my hopes up again only to be crushed when AF shows. I still spot even when on Progesterone supplements, so I guess it's just something my body decided to start doing after ending BCP over 3 years ago! I was wondering if those of you who have been blessed with pregnancy and usually spotted prior to your AFs also spotted before your BFPs. I'm hoping to slow my TTC Rollercoaster ride down each month! Thanks for any guidance!
Married to DH 10/6/12
TTC since 5/14
Unexplained with (controlled) hypothyroidism and suspected ovulatory dysfunction (but, I do ovulate on my own)
Clomid 50 mg 3/15 (unmonitored) - BFN
Clomid 50 mg + metformin 4/15 (unmonitored) - BFN 
First RE appt. 5/15; Natural cycle 5/15 monitored with 2 mature follicles and Pregnyl Trigger (full dose) + prometrium - BFN
6/15 HSG - clear tubes & normal uterus; great PCT test results
TI - 100 mg Clomid + prometrium (AM & PM) + vaginal estrace (AM & PM) 6-7/15 (monitored) --> no additional response and thinned lining - BFN
TI - Injectables (follistim + Gonal-F, Ganirelix, & 1/2 dose Pregnyl) + prometrium (AM & PM) 9/15 --> 3-7 mature follicles (3 definites and 4+ that could have matured due to trigger) @ O -->BFN + 5 large cysts
BC for 2 weeks due to cysts
TI - Injectables (Gonal-F, Ganirelix & full dose Pregnyl) + prometrium (AM & PM) 10/15 --> 1 mature follicle --> BFN 
TI - Last attempt at injectables (Gonal-F, Ganirelix & 1/2 dose Pregnyl) + crinone (AM only) + vaginal estrace (AM & PM) 11/15 --> 3-4 mature follicles --> BFP!! 11/27/15 @ 13dpo (shockingly, actually waited until then to test)

Beta #1 @ 16dpo (11/30/15) = 1,075
Beta #2 @ 19dpo (12/3/15) = 3,150
One baby: Saw heartbeat @ 5w5d (114 bpm; baby measuring 2.3mm)

"Great Things are Happening"

Re: If you usually spotted before AF, did you have any spotting when you got your BFP?

• Options
    mnj05mnj05 member
    I did not spot before either BFP but I know plenty of women who have, it's common. What kind of progesterone are you on? Vaginal suppositories can cause spotting too as they can irritate the cervix.

imagePhotobucket

TTC #1 since 3/2011
    DX: anovulatory and severe MFI
    DH is a testicular cancer survivor
    IVF#1 w/ICSI lupron, gonal f, ovidrel
    ER 6/15/12 6R 6M 6F! ET 6/20/12
    Beta #1: 154 Beta #2: 509 Beta #3: 7326
    Baby Boy born 3/1/2013
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

TTC#2: 6/2014 all testing came back normal

IVF#2 (#1 for LO#2) 9/2014 - 17R 10M 10F 4 blasts frozen on day 6.

FET #1 10/15/14 - Beta #1: 216  Beta #2: 823

Baby Boy born 7/10/2015

• Options
    I spotted two days with my 1st sticky BFP. I did not spot with my 2nd BFP. During my 8 yrs TTC my cycle changed a lot (after ea. pg loss), so I can't say what was usual for me. AF varied from 7-day flow to 1½-day flow, from no spotting and severe cramping to spotting beforehand with light cramping. FX for you.

Unexplained IF/RPL

TTC#1 2003 BFNs, 2004-2009 imageimageimageimageimage 5 angels above

2010 IVF-PGS-FET#1, DD b. Aug-2011 image

TTC#2 2012 BFNs, 2013 FET#2, DS b. Nov-2013 image

TTC#3 2015 BFNs, FET#3 image (my 6th and last angel above)

Journey Complete.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Sorry for the delay in thanking you both for your insight (I had limited internet access the last several days). This last month didn't work out for me, so I'm taking a month off to refocus before jumping into injectables.
    Married to DH 10/6/12
    TTC since 5/14
    Unexplained with (controlled) hypothyroidism and suspected ovulatory dysfunction (but, I do ovulate on my own)
    First RE appt. 5/15; Natural cycle 5/15 monitored with 2 mature follicles and Pregnyl Trigger (full dose) + prometrium - BFN
    TI - 100 mg Clomid + prometrium (AM & PM) + vaginal estrace (AM & PM) 6-7/15 (monitored) --> no additional response and thinned lining - BFN
    TI - Injectables (follistim + Gonal-F, Ganirelix, & 1/2 dose Pregnyl) + prometrium (AM & PM) 9/15 --> 3-7 mature follicles (3 definites and 4+ that could have matured due to trigger) @ O -->BFN + 5 large cysts
    TI - Injectables (Gonal-F, Ganirelix & full dose Pregnyl) + prometrium (AM & PM) 10/15 --> 1 mature follicle --> BFN 
    TI - Last attempt at injectables (Gonal-F, Ganirelix & 1/2 dose Pregnyl) + crinone (AM only) + vaginal estrace (AM & PM) 11/15 --> 3-4 mature follicles --> BFP!! 11/27/15 @ 13dpo (shockingly, actually waited until then to test)

• Options

Sorry about the bust cycle. Wishing you a restful-in-its-way month. FX for your TTC cycle to come.

Unexplained IF/RPL

Journey Complete.

• Options
    @SharonB222 did you TTC for 8 years naturally? Or did you have assistence through an RE? Reason I ask is we've tried for 10+ and 2015 was our first year with an RE and IVF, I was on vag. Progesterone with one failed fresh and one BFP from FET but lost with MC and RE contributes it to lack of progesterone considering I started to spot 3 days after BFP, so he's suggesting PIO injections at start of next FET cycle right after lining check... Thank you for answering XoXo
  • Options
    I spotted some BFPs and didn't spot for others.  The one that stuck I did have some spotting, but until I was 5 weeks pregnant.
    TTC #1 Since 4/2010, Cycle 30
    Positive for HLA-B27, I'm a mutant :p
    Testing - Me ok, gluten issue? DH - borderline count, low motility
    4/28/11 IUI#1 = BFP!(5/25), EDD 2/2/12 - m/c 5w3d
    7/3, 7/31, 9/25 - IUI#2-4=BFN
    IVF#1 - 1 blast = BFP!! (12/30), EDD 9/9/12, confirmed c/p 4w2d
    FET#1 3/2/12 - 2 blasts =BFP!! EDD 11/18/12, us#1 = twins! Confirmed m/c 5w6d
    4/20-surprise BFP and another c/p 4w2d
    FET#2 7/16/12 - 2 blasts = BFN
    FET#3 8/20/12 - 1 blast - BFP!! Beta #1-2=177, 354
    1st u/s 5w6d, one beautiful little HB :), 2nd u/s 146bpm
    baby girl born 5/10/13

TTC#2 since 12/17/2014, Cycle 8
    Repeat Testing...FSH=12, AMH=3.8, AFC=28. 
    IUI#5 5/10/15- c/p?
    IVF#2 8/19/15 - cancelled due to cysts
    IVF#2 take two 10/2015 - 5 blasts frozen
    FET#4 12/11/2015 - BFN - 4 blasts remaining
    FET#5 2/18/16 - BFP!!!  Beta1-3, 126, 250, 745!!

Image and video hosting by TinyPicLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Tons of love and ((hugs)) to my IF sister NMscubagirl

• Options
    The 8 yrs TTC was natural. I did TCM (acupuncture, herbs). It definitely improved things but obviously didn't overcome whatever medical issue there was. I visited an RE early in the journey who recommended IVF, but I wasn't ready. I was "unexplained" so sought 2nd opinion, 3rd opinion. Did two Clomid cycles (BFNs). By the time 8 yrs past I was onto my 4th RE and ready for all that leading technology could bring to the table.

Unexplained IF/RPL

Journey Complete.

• Options
    @SharonB222 I am trying TCM at the moment... I'm curious on how it improved things for you? Did you ovulate on your own? Were your cycles regular? Thank you :)
    **Trigger warning**

Me: 25  DH: 28
    TTC Sept-Oct 2013

Journey:
    -Stopped BC pills Sept-Oct 2013
    -First ovulation June 2014 *8 looong months later
    -Very long and irregular cycles.  Sometimes spotting during tww. Always BFNs.
    -On cycle 9 of TTC: BFP @11DPO.

Testing/Therapy:
    -Hormone testing with Naturopath showed very low progesterone  
    -Prescribed topical Progesterone cream twice a day starting at ovulation
    -Husband's SA excellent  
    -My HSG normal.
    -Undergoing treatment by TCM (Chinese acupuncture/herbs)

• Options

@Echogirlxo, I was regular and charting BBT prior to TCM (acupuncture combined with herbs) so it was interesting to see the improvement in my BBT charts. Three things happened:

1. My cycle variance (26-34), became more concise (28-30)
    2. My BBTs which had gone up and down normally enough but were choppy, became smoother
    3. My LP increased 1 day

Come to find out part of our problem (b/c we don't really know) is that I had a uterine septum; really not too much TCM can do about that. Heck, even 2 clinics and 3 REs missed it (took a 3rd clinic and 4th RE).

My DH did TCM also (just the herbs) and his SA would improve a bit for a month or two and possibly contributed to increased opportunity. (The vitamin regime our RE prescribed him for IVF had more of an impact.)

FX that once your cycle is stable (enough), your child-bearing will be underway!!!

Unexplained IF/RPL

Journey Complete.

• Options
    @SharonB222 Thanks for your reply! I'm feeling much better about it now. That's very rare (uterine septum), and very hard to catch... In my job (ultrasound) I've seen arcuate, bicornuate, didelphis... but a septated uterus is almost undetectable :(. Did they do an MRI? My OBGYN says she might want me to have one (which worries me).
    **Trigger warning**

TTC Sept-Oct 2013

Journey:

Testing/Therapy:
    -Husband's SA excellent  
    -My HSG normal.

• Options

@Echogirlxo, it was a 3D u/s that caught it. I had had multiple SHGs, HSGs, hysteroscopies and even a laparotomy, but as you know they only look from one side, and do not have the perspective of inside relative to outside. I did not have an MRI that I recall. Your input is comforting, b/c I wonder if I could have been a better advocate for myself and had it identified earlier and saved myself more years of grief. After pg loss#2, an RE mentioned a slight irregularity at top (fibroid maybe he suggested?) which I didn't pursue beyond typical testing (looks good!). But then I'm no doctor either and I did my best.

Unexplained IF/RPL

Journey Complete.

• Options
    *TRIGGER WARNING*

I had very light pink spotting last night, and a little bit today.... but it stopped.  I took a test just in case to see if I should drink tomorrow night for Halloween, and BFP @ 11 DPO.  FX that it sticks!!  I truly believe that the Chinese herbs and Acupuncture worked.  I told myself that at the very least, it relaxed me.  It relieves my stress/anxiety, so I can focus on getting pregnant and staying healthy. :)
    **Trigger warning**

TTC Sept-Oct 2013

Journey:

Testing/Therapy:
    -Husband's SA excellent  
    -My HSG normal.

• Options
    Figured I'd go ahead and update my own post in case anyone in the future looks for this and would like to know the same answer. I finally got my BFP and had no spotting beforehand. I did, however, change up/add a few meds post-O. After my second round of injects was a fail, and I continued to have pre-AF spotting, I asked for a sit down with my doc because I felt that my pre-AF spotting wasn't even being considered as a concern. While waiting for the doctor, the nurse told me it could be that my estrogen level was dropping prematurely and causing spotting especially since the only time I didn't spot since stopping BC years prior was when I was put on prometrium 200 mg 2xs and estrace 2xs vaginally (to thicken lining after Clomid thinned it). My doctor apparently hadn't read the notes that I called to report spotting after my inject rounds and when I told him how my spotting was after my first inject round his response was, "that isn't good". He switched up my progesterone from prometrium orally to Crinone 8% suppositories. He stated that estrace had no proven increase in success for injectables rounds, only with Clomid and IVF. I still felt like the nurse's explanation made sense, so I asked if it would hurt if I tried it. He said no, so I asked for the prescription and started estrace 2xs a day vaginally the night before triggering. I started crinone the 3rd morning after triggering. Of course, I don't know what stopped the spotting and if that was preventing me from getting (or knowing I was ever) pregnant, but figured I'd share the concoction that helped with my BFP and no pre-AF spotting.
    Married to DH 10/6/12
    TTC since 5/14