Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Transition to Crib Pep Talk

I need a pep talk, or words of encouragement! My baby girl just turned three months and I'm trying to get the courage to start putting her in the crib for the night. I'm not even sure if I really need to have her sleeping in her crib at this age, but I've read it is better to start early before the baby develops bad sleeping habits. The problem is I worry about SIDS. I also sort of have a weird feeling like I'm abandoning her to be alone in this big room all by herself. But mostly I worry about her safety. She needs to be swaddled or she won't stay asleep, but I worry about her safety. Any moms who can support me or offer any advice?

Re: Transition to Crib Pep Talk

• Options
    I was afraid to do it as well.. Our pediatrician really pushed us at 2 months. For the first few nights, I didn't sleep at all, kept checking in on her. That goes away eventually. Maybe start slow by using the crib for naps?
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice. I do try to put her in t there for naps, but she doesn't sleep very long. She definitely doesn't self soothe yet. One of the biggest problems is she loses her pacifier and cries for it. I tried putting her in the crib last night and she woke up three times. She normally sleeps through the night with no feedings. What do I do tonight? Try it again?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Yes! It will take a little while for her to adjust but that is normal. Do you swaddle her?
  • Options
    I do swaddle her but she is the ultimate escape artist now. She likes to suck on her hands. I'm trying a swaddle sack tonight to see if that helps. Night number two, crossing my fingers she goes back to her sleep all night routine. I feel so lovely not having her next to my bed. Its so sad to not have her close. Between daycare and putting her in her crib I feel like all I'm doing is pushing her away. Its sad.
  • Options
    Keep her next to your bed for a little while if you want to. We transitioned our son to his crib at 5 months and he did just fine. We now have a 9 week old daughter and will do the same with her. Just do what feels right for you. If you want to keep putting her in the crib now, that is totally fine too, she doesn't feel like you're pushing her away! It's just mom guilt, I have it too. As for swaddles, we use these and they're great:

https://www.diapers.com/p/summer-infant-kiddopotomus-swaddle-me-cotton-knit-21429?cookies_set=1

Good luck!

• Options
    pixieprincsspixieprincss member
    edited July 2015
    They are only this little once! If you aren't ready, or it doesn't feel right, there is no rush. A baby sleeping alone is contrary to most of human history and even to most of what the world does now. It will be just fine if you wait.