April 2014 Moms

Flying with a toddler

Ok, it's been a while since I've flown with a one year old. Next Friday I fly to FL for my grandpa's funeral and it will be just me and dd. What are your best tips for flying with a 15 month old who loves to run around? Luckily it's only 2 1/2 hours on the plane, but I'm nervouse about getting through the airport, renting a car, lugging the car seat, etc.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Flying with a toddler

• I'm about to do the same! I know there have been previous threads about it on here so I was just going to look at those. So far I have a mile long list of what to pack in my carry on :D

Also, I bought one of those terribly frowned upon backpacks with a leash so that I could let C walk around and not worry too much.
  • I'm sorry to hear about your grandfather. When I travelled with the two kids I found that despite all my preparation of toys, the iPad was really the best tool. The toys were on the floor pretty quickly and with a baby on my lap in those cramped seats, it was tough getting them back. The apps kept his attention most and now, I could put on some shows and he would watch them. The downside is that he realized there were apps on the iPad and is now obsessed.

Oh and snacks.
  • Loading the player...
  • snacks and i mentioned before ice, cups, straws from the bev. cart have always helped! When you go to check in, ask if the bulkhead seats are available. They're that first row with extra leg room. We flew a bunch when our oldest was this age and we always asked for those seats and let her "play" on the floor.

Good luck! Unfortunately it's probably the worst age to fly IMO since they're all wiggle worms with no comprehension of what's going on but ready to tell you how much they *don't* want to sit right now!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thank! I'm always on mobile so I forgot you can search. I might actually have to use a computer for something other than work, lol.

@yellowflower15 how did you handle the car seats when you traveled with the kids? I want to gate check it, but I'm worried about lugging it through security by myself with dd and our bag.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • This past trip I didn't take car seats since I was visiting my parents and the borrowed some from some friends. That was nice! I've travelled with the seats before though and always had DH or a friend help me with the luggage and check in. Can someone go with you? I once had a very nice friend come with me and she borrowed the car while we were away since she didn't have her own. I guess if you're totally on you own, I would probably use a carrier until you got your stuff checked since you can't really push a stroller and luggage. Are you taking the car seat on the plane? I've never done that.
  • AmberLiz99AmberLiz99 member
    edited July 2015
    I'm gate checking it and carrying on a backpack for our luggage. It's just a 3 day trip. Am I crazy to think I can wear her in the front, wear the backpack and carry the car seat to our gate? It's a direct flight and I'm meeting my brother at the airport when I land.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I think you can do that! I often wear LO on the front and backpack on the back. So long as you don't have to walk too far, or can stop for breaks if your arm gets tired, I don't see why you couldn't carry the car seat. Maybe a trial run around the block?
  • I think I'd put the baby in the carrier and get a cart for the back pack and the car seat. You could throw an umbrella stroller on there too in case you wanted one upon arrival. Or would that be harder?
  • I just realized that I am clearly missing your point - you are not checking any luggage and can't take a cart through security. Silly me. I know you can buy special carts for car seats. You probably don't want to buy one for a weekend trip, but maybe you could buy one used? Or if there's a local moms' buy and sell on FB, I know I see a lot of lending of items on mine.
  • Hmm, that may be worth looking into.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • No advice, I'm so sorry for your loss @AmberLiz99 . I hope your trip goes smoothly.
  • Thanks @Talltrees82 Fingers crossed dd is just an angel for the whole trip :p

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Hope you made it through the first part of your trip ok. Let us know!
  • Thanks! I landed about two hours ago and met my brother to split a rental car. DD did so well! She played at te airport, she hung out on my lap on the plan without loosing it, and she fell asleep on the way to the house where we're staying. Perfect! And I managed to lug the car seat and our backpack without it being too cumbersome. The funeral is tomorrow, so if dd can hold up through that the trip will be a total success.

Thank you everyone for your advice and well wishes!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Hooray! Glad you made it safe and sound. Hope tomorrow goes as well as possible.