International Bumpies

What is the baby shower etiquette in your country?

Hey Ladies,
I'm new to this board. I am a FTM and I am interested in other cultures. I am curious about baby shower etiquette, customs and traditions around the world. Would you please share your ccountry's or your area of your country's etiquette and customs? Thank you very much. I look forward to interacting with all of you.

Re: What is the baby shower etiquette in your country?

• ecwkecwk member
    Hello! I'm from Ireland but live in the US. Baby showers are not really a thing where I'm from, at least not to the degree to which they are here. Frankly, they make me a little uncomfortable and seem grabby but I'm sure it's just a cultural difference. I've been to several here. My ILs would likely throw me one however, and I wouldn't refuse. I won't nor would I have one if I was in Ireland.

August '18 April Siggy Challenge: April Showers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @ecwk thank you, that's really interesting. Do you have other traditions when babies are born?
  • Loading the player...
  • ecwkecwk member
    Nothing unusual! Just buying gifts for the baby and visiting the mom in hospital or when she goes home!

August '18 April Siggy Challenge: April Showers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Pregnancy Ticker
  • ashhsaashhsa member
    In Australia baby showers are just like those in the U.S. All the same rules of ettiquite, games, and all of the rest. though I do think Australia is very "relaxed" about most formalities, but of course like anything it also depends on your social circle.
  • I'm from England, living in the US. Pretty much what @ecwk said, they're not usually done where I'm from and I feel a little uncomfortable with them here. Usually in England people just buy little gifts like clothes and such, and sometimes people will pass on hand-me-downs. Gifts are not usually requested or expected, so I won't be creating a registry and will unlikely have a shower, though that's mostly because I don't know enough people here to throw a party to celebrate the baby! 
  • kimey1kimey1 member
    edited July 2015
    In Korea there was no such thing. Instead we celebrate the 100th Day as a first celebration, since technically around 100days from birth would be the 1st birthday from conception. We have a party at a hotel or restaurant where guests are served a meal, and guests bring envelopes of cash to congratulate the family. Close family and friends also bring valuable gifts like a 24K gold ring or bracelet for the baby. Friends may bring gifts for the baby then as well.

Back in the day the 100th Day celebration was extremely important since so many babies died before it. Nowadays many families choose to celebrate it with just immediate family at home.

Nowadays people are starting to ask people for gifts since so many ppl have been educated abroad and take in the customs theyre used to there, like babyshowers. People who were brought up abroad often host baby showers at home or at a section of a restaurant and friends will bring gifts.
  • @kimey1 that's really cool. Thank you for sharing. I like the idea of celebrating the baby's first birthday after conception. 
  • kimey1kimey1 member
    @ChiccoBeanz here's a photo of someone's 100th Day Birthday party pic I found onlineimage
  • I'm in Guam, which is a U.S. Territory and from what I've seen baby showers seem to be similar to what is done in the U.S. Just bigger and a lot more food! however I have been to a Filipino baby shower here and while similar they don't believe in giving gifts, just being together to eat, play games and celebrate the new life that will be coming.
  • I live in the Netherlands.  As far as I know, Dutch people do not have baby showers.  Only expats.  But if anyone knows different, I'd be interested to learn.
  • I'm from India . Baby shower here is in the 7th month of pregnancy. Ladies come and bless the mother to be and there is an elaborate "Havan" a type of worship to ask for blessing for the LOs health happiness etc. people gift the mother to be. Nothing is bought for the baby before birth ( a superstition) . People may give hand me downs.
    However after delivery on the 40th day there is a big welcome home party for the baby along with another "Havan"again for the baby and her parents in which people can get gifts for the baby.
  • I am from the USA currently in the UK. I do see some things about baby showers here like venues advertising baby showers and discussions about how they are becoming more common. From the discussions I have seen about baby showers in England they seem to spend a LOT more on the gifts than most would in the USA, which is probably one of the reasons baby showers seem grabby. Most of the discussions do mention that it is an American tradition that is becoming more common here.

I think one thing that hasn't translated as showers become adopted in the UK is that outside of grandparents American's don't actually spend that much on baby shower gifts. I've been to multiple USA showers where the most common gift is a package of diapers and most gifts were $10-20. At more middle class incomes in the USA most showers I've seen for babies guest average $20-50 spent on gifts. The shower gifts discussed in the UK were a lot more boutique and designer things and the attendees report spending a lot more than most Americans would for a shower.

• I'm from Germany and baby showers (and wedding showers) are not a thing here. Neither are "gender" (more accurately "sex"...) reveal parties.