Trouble TTC
Options

Ovulation Testing while on Clomid

Hello everyone,

I have just entered into my second cycle of Clomid (1st one ending with a period).  I was using the Clearblue Easy OPK, but feel like it wasn't accurate.  I was hoping to get some insight on "back ups" I can use on this next cycle that may have been beneficial to you.

Thank you,
Linda
DX: PCOS (no cysts)

History:

Cycle 1 Clomid (50mg):  Monitored with 17mm follicle ovulated on my own - BFN
Cylcle 2 Clomid (50mg): July - August 20 -  Monitored with 22mm follicle - HCG Trigger shot - AF arrived DPO 24
Cycle 3 Clomid (100mg): Monitored with 26mm - no trigger - AF arrived DPO 13

Re: Ovulation Testing while on Clomid

• Options
    jnissajnissa member
    Hi!

Most women here are going to recommend temping with a basal body thermometer and charting the data in fertility friend if you want to be spot on accurate. I don't personally have temping experience (I'm sure a bunch of other ladies will jump in here!), but I will tell you that those opk's can be inaccurate. I was using one and when I had my first monitored cycle it turned out to be almost six days off. So it is possible that your instinct that it isn't right is correct. 

If you're on clomid though, you should be getting regular monitoring while on it that would help indicate if/when you ovulated. If not, don't do any more rounds until you are!
    Me: 41, DH 38, Diagnosis DOR
    Started TTC 12/2013
    First Trip to RE: 11/2014
    IVF Round 1: 2/2014 - BFP
    DD Born 11/9/2014
    TTC a Sibling Started 5/2015
    First IVF Round 8/15 - BFN
    Taking a break to go on vacation + enjoy the holidays before FET and/or another IVF round in 2016!

• Options
    I am on my 3rd round of clomid. The first 2 rounds I tested with First Response OPKs. I received positives both rounds. I didn't actually ovulate either time, as confirmed by ultrasound and blood draw. When I finish this round, I'm not going to test as the false positives made me hopeful and the let down was very difficult. My doctor said it's not uncommon for women with PCOS to have false positives. I thought about temping, but honestly, I think it would just cause me to be more fixated on ovulating and stress me out. My husband works in the oil fields and is only home 1/3 of the time. We're very active when he's home, so if the timing was right (as my doc does her best calculate), we'll catch ovulation regardless if I'm testing or temping.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Hey I just did my first round of Clomid days 3-7 I started testing on CD10 that whole week I got positives and even felt like I ovuklated. I had my p4 drawn onCD21 and it was 51.3 . They said either I'm lregnam or I'm ovulating . Come to find out I just ovulated on CD21 with was actually late. Crazy right! I'm not out of the race yet but if I were you I'd get the bulk cheapies from Amazon and test every day 3 days after your last pill keep them and compare them. You will see the line grow darker.
  • Options
    Thank you for all of your feedback.  Totally got the bulk pack on Amazon!  I ended up getting a HCG shot on this cycle with one 22mm follicle - fingers crossed!
    DX: PCOS (no cysts)

History:

Cycle 1 Clomid (50mg):  Monitored with 17mm follicle ovulated on my own - BFN
    Cylcle 2 Clomid (50mg): July - August 20 -  Monitored with 22mm follicle - HCG Trigger shot - AF arrived DPO 24
    Cycle 3 Clomid (100mg): Monitored with 26mm - no trigger - AF arrived DPO 13
  • Options
    GL! I wasn't sure if OPKs worked when you're on Clomid. I know that when you're temping Clomid can affect your temperatures so if you do temp, keep that in mind. :)

Me: 31

DH: 29, SA - Great

Married: June 12,2011

TTC #1: 1/2014

Diagnosis: Hypothalamic Amenorrhea

Treatment: Clomid:  50mg, 100mg, 150mg - not successful and not monitored

Menopur 75ml (upped to 112.5ml), Ovidrel, & IUI  IUI #1 8/31/2015

9/15/2015: BFP HCG - 400, 9/17/2015: HCG - 827, 9/21/2015 - HCG 3,327!
    Heartbeat 10/2/2015: 118bpm
    DS: 5/27/2016

TTC# 2: 12/2017
    BFP: 4/20/2018
    EDD: 12/29/2018
  • Options
    Clomid can also affect OPKs to a degree, but I don't know how much.
    Me- 39 (turning 40 in April), TTC for the first time ever (since Jan 2015), low ovarian reserve
    Married 3/14/14 to my wonderful wife, but her sperm count is rather low
    TTC with frozen donor sperm and science

7 IUIs, 7 BFNs.
    2 IVF attempts, both cancelled and converted to IUI, both BFNs.
    Decided that my tired old ovaries are ready to retire.
    Next step- reciprocal IVF, using my wife's eggs, my uterus!  
    fresh 5 day transfer (2 embryos) 4/17/17- BFP! 
    Identical twins "due" 1/2/17 (but anticipated arrival sometime December)