High-Risk Pregnancy

Type 1 diabetics and baby size

Are all you T1D moms expecting bigger babies? My son has been measuring 4 weeks ahead of time. Which I know is expected with diabetics, but wanted to hear others experiences.

Does diabetes necessarily mean c section? Any diabetics deliver naturally? Or plan on it? I am NOT referring to gestational diabetes or type 2. Type 1 diabetics only. Thanks :)

Re: Type 1 diabetics and baby size

• I have been diabetic since I was 9 and am currently 29 weeks pregnant. We just had an ultrasound yesterday and baby was measuring right on track (length wise, etc) but was weighing 3.5 lbs already. That weight puts baby in the 90th percentile. My husband and I are both 6 feet tall and were chubby babys so I am fully expecting a chubster (diabetic or not). How have your sugars been? Is all of baby's body measuring 4 weeks ahead or just it's tummy?
  • I'm only 10 weeks. My sugars have been good. I have an ultrasound in 10 days. What I'm currently doing, multiple injections, is working and I'm sick of being pushed off like I don't matter when they all supposedly want me to be on the pump.
  • Loading the player...
  • @tpete12 I will also be 29 weeks on Monday. At 25 weeks he was 2.5 lbs, so I will see how much bigger he's grown this coming Tuesday. His head is measuring larger, his stomach, and his limbs. I am somewhat tall at 5'9" so perhaps that in conjunction with the diabetes will make for a big guy. I believe we measured either in the 85th or 89th percentile at 25weeks, I can't recall. Sugars have been good, a1c has been 5.9---6.2. Been having lots of lows lately because had to recently adjust carb ratios and sensitivity. My carb ratios are down to 3 and sensitivity is at 16, it's crazy. What about you? are you planning on delivering naturally if baby's size and your body allows? I am nervous that a natural delivery will be more strenuous on my diabetic body and organs. Thoughts?
  • @PedsIsHardcore as obnoxious as it is to hear, the pump truly gives you tighter control and makes your life so much easier. I say go for it. I didn't want to make the transition 8 years ago either...but I am so grateful I did.
  • My A1C as been in the 5.6-6 range too. I am starting to struggle with keeping my sugars under 10. I swear some days I can be 4 and drink water and spike to 16 and the next days I can be 5, eat 20 carbs with no insulin and stay at 5. My insulin has always been on a sliding scale and my base unit has increased from 8 to 15 over the last little while. My long lasting insulin does has also increased from 27 units to 35 units. I too have been getting a few more lows as I try to find the perfect balance of insulin to food. We have made it 29 weeks...we can make it 8 more!! Here is to hoping our sugars behave and we have nice sized babies. I would like to deliver naturally, but I am mentally preparing myself for a c-section. I really hope I don't need a c-section because I will have to drive 3.5 hours to get home after we leave the hospital.
  • What do you mean when you reference your sugars as being 10, 4, 16..? Do you mean 100, 40, 160? Lol I am confused. As long as my a1c remains where it's at I feel okay as long as my sugars are below 200.
  • Sorry. I think this is one of those Canada vs. US things. 10=100, 4=40, etc
  • I am 25 weeks and this is my first so I don't know exactly what to expect.  So far she is right on track according to my most recent appointment.  At most, she was measuring about a week ahead early on.  I hope that this continues.  I really want to avoid a c-section or induction if I can.
  • I am type 1 and have been so for 9 years now. I delivered my first child naturally at 37 weeks due to low amniotic fluid but she was a healthy 8lbs 4 oz. I was induced but happy I didn't have to have a c-section. I am currently pregnant with my second. All diabetics and pregnancies are different. Good luck ladies because the blood sugars go on one hell of a roller coaster for 9 months. I was higher in my first trimester and low throughout my second. I became cry sensitive to insulin in my 2nd trimester. Once you hit the 3rd trimester your Insulin consumption will go thru the roof. I had to fill up my reservoir daily for my pump! Keep up the good work ladies. Being a type 1 and preggo is a lot of work.
  • Hi I'm 12weeks tomorrow 7/23/15 and I'm a type 1 diabetic since 2011. I'm on the pump and if it wasn't for it id be losing yet another baby. It's the best thing ever.
  • YES!  I love my pump!  The control is sooo much better.  :) 
  • @alisabowen I am going through 1.8 reservoirs daily too. It's crazy! My a1c is currently at 6.0. At 29 weeks he is measuring 4 lbs....at this rate I am almost certain I am headed for a c section.
  • I believe c-sections are recommended for diabetic moms once the baby reaches 4500 grams or surpasses the 90th percentile... but certainly check with your OB. Do keep in mind also that ultrasounds are notoriously off (as in +/- at least a pound). My kiddo has been increasing about 10% with each monthly ultrasound. This month we hit the 83rd percentile! I'm 36.4 today and am crossing my fingers (and toes) for spontaneous labor and a vaginal delivery before my little monster gets too big.
  • I am very concerned he will grow too large too soon and I will need to deliver even earlier than expected. I'm currently in the 86th percentile for size. But he's 4 lbs and I have another 9 weeks to go...just concerned.
  • I was told today by one of the OBs that being induced is very "artificial." There is nothing natural or organic about it. I was a bit insulted, especially since being diabetic I have no other choice. Just didn't sit well with me.
  • Being diabetic and pregnant is crazy and it's nice to know others are going thru the same things too. My first pregnancy was a disaster. We weren't trying so I wasn't in tight control when we got pregnant. At 16 weeks I got a kidney infection that turned sepsis and double pneumonia, they told me that baby wasn't going to make it and they called my family in because neither was I. Three days later I was home, and baby fine. At 36weeks I got preeclampsia and they did a c-section 3 days later. She was 11lbs 6 oz and 22 inches. Once we were separated we both were normal! Everything was fine! Looking back it was a roller coaster but those little babies are fighters and can come thru a lot! I am now 26 weeks and everything has gone by without a hitch. Hoping for a VBAC. Baby is measuring a tad small but not for concern. Every pregnancy is different and all we can do is the best we can. Hope this was somewhat helpful.
  • Why only Type 1s can respond? All diabetics face the same questions regardless. 
    As long as you follow your doctor's directions throughout your pregnancy you and baby will be good. The ones who have big babies are the ones who didn't stay in control of their sugars. We all have to watch our sugars. In my OBs practice all diabetics are induced before their due date. 
  • leylacorbett1leylacorbett1 member
    edited July 2015
    Type 1s do face different obstacles and risks, because if your disease is not controlled upon conceiving---your baby is at risk of complications. Not to mention we have years of effects of the disease on our bodies and organs, whereas border lines and GDs do not. Type 1s also experience impaired uterine contractility, etc...I get confused weeding out who has what so figured it'd be easier just to direct the question to those that have had T1 long before pregnancy entered the picture. But thank you for your input. My a1c has been 6 or lower the entire pregnancy and baby has always measured large...so I don't know if there's truth to size being a result of poor control. It's all so overwhelming.
  • I am 13 weeks pregnant and have had type 1 for 18 years. My pregnancy wasn't planned but luckily I was already taking folic acid with iron supplements when we conceived. My bloods have been normal with the occasional spike after meal times which can't really be avoided. I am hoping for a healthy baby and am willing to put the work in. There is defo a lot of worry to be had because pregnancy can make blood sugars so unpredictable. I would agree that type 1 is very different to GD. Good luck to everyone. ☺️
  • Had an ultra sound this morning and baby girl is a little bit on the high end of average at 28 weeks.  They said that it is nothing to worry about right now.  I am just hoping we can stay in this range for the next few weeks...fingers crossed....

On the negative, blood sugars are getting more and more unpredictable!  I feel like I can eat the same thing two days in a row and have totally different reactions with my insulin!  Grrrr.
  • What did she weigh? We were 4.1 at 29w. Im now 31 weeks, sensitivity is at 15 and carb ratios are at 2.5. What about you?
  • She is just under 3 pounds.  My sensitivity is 30, carb ratio is 4.8 and so far that has been doing well by me for the most part this week but the doc told me we would be changing it more frequently for the next few weeks until the baby is born because the insulin resistance will likely just continue to increase.  I guess we will see.  So far I have been doing pretty well I guess, but I am just used to being able to better predict my body to maintain control.  I certainly had more than a few days along the way that my blood sugar was high which worried me about her size.

• Anyone in here using a CGM with their insulin pump?  My husband has been putting mine in my arm for me because it is hard to see to do it myself since we took it out of my abdomen.  I was wondering if anyone has experience with the CGM in a location other than the abdomen or arm because I am going to be without my husband for a few days and will need to change it.  Any ideas would be helpful!  
  • Jessica, I put my cgm in the top of my thigh, right smack in the middle. It works really well for me, I just have to remember it's there when going to the bathroom or changing clothes :)
  • Been diabetic (T1) for 19 years- now on second child. I'm 33 weeks as of today and my baby has been measuring large almost since the beginning. As of last week she was already 5.8lbs. I'm also poly, meaning my amniotic fluid is high. I had the same issues when pregnant with my son. I, personally, opted for c-sections, both, with my first and with this one. For me it's just the safer choice. Not all diabetics end up having them or are pushed to do them- I think it more or less depends on your long term stability. I've had a lot of ups and downs over the years and pregnancy has only brought more interesting experiences. I've been dealing with a great deal of insulin resistance. Diabetics commonly have much larger babies and that's why we tend to end up going to c-section route. Hope this was helpful. Anyone else having insulin resistance and high fluid?
  • My fluid levels have been normal but insulin resistance has increased throughout pregnancy. First pregnancy, 33 weeks today. A1c is 6, baby was 4.1 lbs at 29 weeks. I have another u/s this week so we will see how he's grown.
  • @Leylacorbett1 A1c of 6....that's awesome!  Great job!!!!
  • So this is normal, I guess?! Ive been Type 1 for 20 years now and had my first child, 12 years ago with the insulin pump and have been on it ever since. I'm pregnant again and at 22 weeks. Just the past few days, my blood sugars have been spiking 200 whether I've eaten or not...it's crazy. I'm thinking, is the insulin just not absorbing or what??
  • @Missykay28  Insulin resistance and hormones.  I am at 30 weeks and have more than doubled my daily intake of insulin and every few days I increase it a bit more.  My doc said I could triple by the end.  Crazy!

I suggest talking to your endo about changing basal rates and carb ratios to something that will work better for your body right now if you think your blood sugars are getting too high too constantly.  Mine has been very helpful through this process.  I feel your pain though.....it still kinda freaks me out to take so much!
  • Yeah, it's like all of a sudden, Thursday morning I woke up to a high of 200 and its been crazy since. I left a message with my endo that day and never got a call back on Thursday or Friday and after going all day without hardly eating, on Thursday, I knew I couldn't go all weekend like that, so I went into my pump and changed it all myself and I'm about back to normal ranges. It sucks!
  • Hii ! I am type 1 and I have had the hardest time dealing with the symptoms PLUS trying to keep sugars in check !! I have heard of the "bigger babies" deal.. but I have no idea why !

Good luck to everyone<3
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • leylacorbett1leylacorbett1 member
    edited August 2015
    yeah the placenta sucks up all the insulin so get with your Endo on making adjustments ASAP.

My OBGYN told me something very interesting yesterday. He said that type 2 diabetics, and those with gestational, are known for having larger babies. But that type 1's are usually at risk for low birth weight babies?? I was shocked. Anyone else ever been told this? So he was pleased that at 33 weeks, little man is already measuring 6 lbs.
  • My doctor just told me this last week when I asked him about this last trimester and his thoughts about how this baby was going to be born.  I was also surprised.  I had always thought diabetes = big babies (some of the time).
  • So, met with the endo and my insulin resistance keeps getting worse and worse at 31 weeks.  My A1C is inching up.  Fortunately baby seems to be doing ok.....great heartbeat and plenty of movement.  I have a growth scan on Monday.  I am hoping my blood sugars are bothering me more than her.

I hope all you ladies are doing better with the blood sugars!
  • yeah the placenta sucks up all the insulin so get with your Endo on making adjustments ASAP.

My OBGYN told me something very interesting yesterday. He said that type 2 diabetics, and those with gestational, are known for having larger babies. But that type 1's are usually at risk for low birth weight babies?? I was shocked. Anyone else ever been told this? So he was pleased that at 33 weeks, little man is already measuring 6 lbs.

I have heard that some diabetics (Type 1) have smaller babies because of nerve damage that has been done over the years. My doctor told me that she likes seeing type 1's with pudgy babies because it means that the placenta is healthy and doing what it is supposed too.