Nurseries and Baby Gear
Options

Changing Table vs. Dresser with Changing Pad

I am due in December and have started looking into furniture pieces for the nursery. The room we're using for the nursery is on the smaller side, so I don't want to clog it up with too much furniture. I am trying to decide if it's worth buying a changing table, or if using a dresser with a changing pad will suffice. Pros & cons? Anyone have experience or tips for me? Thank you in advance!

Re: Changing Table vs. Dresser with Changing Pad

• Options
    asm07asm07 member
    We have a changing pad on a dresser, and it works perfectly. I have a basket of diapers and wipes on top, and I use one of the drawers for other diapering/cleaning items. Originally I wanted a separate table, but I'm glad we didn't go that route. Our LO is getting old enough that it's just easier to change her on the floor anyway. At least now we don't have a piece of furniture that can't be used for anything else.
  • Options
    Agree. Dresser! Our oldest is 6 now and we store his clothes in the dresser and took the changing pad off the top and changed it with a lamp etc. you get much more use out of a dresser. DS2 is 1 1/2 and will not sit/lay down to change him so the changing table and or pad is worthless after 1 year.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Skip the changing table! You will only use it for a few months, then baby outgrows it and it's easier to change them on the floor. We just put a diaper changing pad on the dresser. Kept the diapers in the top drawer of the dresser and the wipes on top of the dresser. Once they outgrow the changing table--it just takes up space. So glad that we skipped spending money and space on one. 
    BabyFruit Ticker image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    When I was looking we saw some cute dressers that actually had a removable part that held the changing pad in place. I thought it was a pretty cool idea but we ended up going with a dresser with a hutch instead. We just removed the bottom shelf and have plenty of room to use our changing pad on the top. Everyone told us we would never used it and just change our baby in the floor but we always take him to his room for changes (except when we changed him at night in our room when he was a nb).
  • Options
    We have a changing pad on a dresser. My daughter is almost two and we still use this. I rarely change her anywhere else. I find it much more difficult to change her on the floor or anywhere else other than the changing pad. I don't think a changing table is necessary, but a changing pad on a dresser is great.

Jamie

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    Definitely a pad on a dresser.  I picked up an older dresser at a 2nd hand store & had my husband paint it to match baby's room.  We switched out the hardware & made it our own.  I love it & it functions so much better than a changing table.  Now when they're older I don't have to buy another piece of furniture.  I also just usually change diapers on the floor.  With our first we used the pad/dresser combo.  Now its just on the floor wherever we are in the house.
  • Options
    I have a changing table, and I agree with PP. go the dresser route!
    image image
  • Options
    We went with this from Ikea and we love it.  Our LO is 20 months old and we still use it everyday. We like it because the change table part folds up, to make it more compact, and the shelf underneath the change area is perfect for storing extra diapers, wipes, etc.

• Options
    We used dresser and will again!! But my stepdad on the pad scratched the surface on the dresser top :( so put a pad down in between!!
  • Options
    We didn't have enough room in our nursery for a changing table, so that made the decision for us.  We planned to use the dresser and spent lots of time researching one that was a good height.  And then we changed her up there...maybe once?  When she was small, we'd just put a changing pad down in the basinet of the pnp and when she got bigger, we went straight to the floor.  But at least we needed the dresser regardless.  I would have been very upset to have bought the changing table and never used it!
  • Options
    I would never buy a changing table for the sole purpose of using to just change baby. They are kind of waste in my opinion. My daughter's dresser came with a changing table attached to the top, and I just used that for decoration. However, I did receive a pack n play as a gift and it had a changing table attached that I did use occasionally. But more often than not, I just used a blanket and changed her on the couch, floor or bed.