August 2014 Moms

Milk anyone?

So my LO will be 1 August 4th

Re: Milk anyone?

• Sorry, not sure why my entire post did not show up? Has anyone started introducing regular milk to their LO? Should I be starting that now or wait until he is one. Also, any tips on how to teach my LO to drink from a sippy cup?
  • My guy won't be 1 until the end of August, and I don't think I'll introduce milk until the pedi gives the go ahead, but he's been drinking from a sippy cup for a couple months now. It took a few times for him to get the hang of it, and I just kept offering it and showing him he had to tilt it up, but now he loves his sippy!
    Mrs. H
    Crohn's Dx: August 2008
    Endometriosis Dx: May 2010
    Married: 05/19/2012
    TTC #1: June 2013
    BFP: December 2013
    DS: Born 08/29/2014
    TTC #2: July 2015

BFP #2: September 25, 2015

• Loading the player...
  • Thanks... I will continue to try giving it to him. Guess I need to be more patient. [-O<
  • I had to get my LO a sippy that was just regular and not an anti spill one so he could get the hang of it without having to bite and suck. He now drinks from a straw which i love :)
  • I am so bad with being consistent offering the sippy cup (awesome for the straw blondee!!). I need to start replacing a bottle feed with a sippy cup soon though. We're waiting for 1 year (Aug 20th) to start milk and might ease him into it. Our plan is to go with goats milk since it's easier to digest.
  • Yeah i plan on going with almond milk first. I have so much breast milk pumped and frozen that i will gradually transition him once that is running low :) i give a sippy cup with every meal. He eats about 2-3 times a day.
  • Yeah i plan on going with almond milk first. I have so much breast milk pumped and frozen that i will gradually transition him once that is running low :) i give a sippy cup with every meal. He eats about 2-3 times a day.

I always thought you had to give toddlers full fat whole milk. That's what we drink at home anyways so not an issue for us but was surprised to see you mention almond milk. We haven't discussed the milk transition yet with our sons pediatrician so I'm just going on hearsay
  • I have read so much about milk and it isnt even necessary for people to drink milk. We drink whole milk here but i'm just a little hesitant. My pediatrician and i disagree on some many things so i will listen to what she says but i always do more research. Anyways. Some kids are allergic to milk so i dont think its necessary. But we shall see.
  • My ped even said soy milk would be fine past age one (though we aren't doing that). I think milk choice can be open so long as there is enough fat in baby's diet, especially for healthy brain development.
  • mokikimokiki member
    I started whole milk today. He won't be one until the 8th but my pediatrician said to start trying at 11 months. He loved it.
  • My LO is on whole milk all the time now and we had no troubles transitioning. I just talked to the doc about my worries and questions and then she told us to start.