Babies on the Brain
Options

The End of the BC Pack...

Hi everyone! I am just wondering if anyone else has been worried/nervous about this. I've been on BC since I was 15, and several months ago I made the decision, along with my hubs, to not fill my prescription once this month runs out because we want to start trying this November-December timeframe. July is going by so quickly, and as I near the end of this pack I am getting nervous. I suppose it's making the TTC process that much real!

Re: The End of the BC Pack...

• Options

I think it is completely normal to be nervous about TTC. It is a huge decision and warrants extra thought.

While I strongly believe that there is no perfect time to TTC, you can do some things to help feel more prepared. H and I ramped up our savings, went on a big trip, bought a house. All of these things made me feel more comfortable to the idea of TTC.

Also, know that just because you stop BC, it can still take awhile to get pregnant.

• Options
    I would suggest to start temping so that you can become familiar with your post-bc cycle and that way it will be easier to conceive later on when you're ready. Something I was told (and witnessed with three of my friends) is that the first month without bc you're extra fertile so if you want to avoid babies right now, definitely be aware of that and use some other type of protection. Good luck!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I would suggest to start temping so that you can become familiar with your post-bc cycle and that way it will be easier to conceive later on when you're ready. Something I was told (and witnessed with three of my friends) is that the first month without bc you're extra fertile so if you want to avoid babies right now, definitely be aware of that and use some other type of protection. Good luck!

I don't think there is any truth to this.
  • Options
    My best friend's midwife told her this plus three of my friends got pregnant the very first month they went off bc. Maybe it was luck or coincidence or maybe it's true. Either way, I'm hoping to take advantage of this possibility and hopefully get pregnant this cycle
  • Options

I don't think there is any truth to this.
    Whether there is or isn't any truth to this... I've also heard this. Idk.
    houston, tx. eharmony 7.3.11. married 3.7.15. oilfield wife.

• Options
    I am in almost the same exact boat as you! We just stopped BC this month and plan to start in November/December. I wanted to get off BC, off hormones and help my cycles regulate themselves before we started. I'm going to just reiterate what others said- read TCOYF and start temping when you finish the pack.. it's a great way to naturally TTA.

I've been temping my first month off BC and it looks like I may have an anovulatory cycle, which makes me even more happy with my decision to get off BC a few months ahead of TTC. 

If you weren't nervous about TTC, I would think you didn't know what you were getting into! Kids are life changing and you and your partner are taking it seriously!
  • Options
    My doctor also told me to be aware of an extremely fertile first month
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for your comments! I am going to take the advice to start temping once I'm off BC. My husband and I are as prepared as we can be for this huge step. We've traveled, have a good savings and are settled into our new home. I never thought I'd want kids but this year baby fever just hit me! Exciting yet scary at the same time.
  • Options
    So exciting!!  Congratulations!!  We're (hopefully) starting when my pack ends next month.  Its scary how fast those little pills disappear!
  • Options
    Another one on the same schedule here! I was so excited to finally ditch the BCPs and (TMI) have a sex drive again. I'll definitely feel some healthy nerves in December, though!
  • Options
    @xstatic3333 Right?! I had no sex drive on my BC (Mirena) and now it's finally back. So frustrating. I'm thinking I never want to go on any form of hormonal BC again.
  • Options
    @rachelT1234 I feel the exact same as you! For the longest time I always said some day, not now, we want to be ready for babies when the time comes and right now we are just going with the flow. Then this past May/June a switch just went off in my head that was like I am ready for a baby! And now I can't turn it off lol, it's definitely nerve wrecking even if you do feel prepared though! Good luck going off of your BC :)
  • Options
    Just take precautions, I got pregnant the first time off the pill. I ovulated later because my body was out of whack from stopping the pill. A very high chance you could get pregnant the first time off the pill without protection. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I've got one more BC pack before I'm done and TTC. I can understand how going off BC would make your cycle more unpredictable (and therefore more people get ku?) but I have my doubts about how else someone could be "extra" fertile. Then again, I'm no doctor.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • Options
    wcookcwcookc member
    I'm in the exact same boat. We talked about going off of BC after vacation (which ended 2 weeks ago) but I haven't had the balls to do it yet. How do you know when you are actually ready? We have been married almost 5 years (I'm 28, he's 30). He always says it's my decision, you don't HAVE to take BC. I sort of think he only wants to start because he thinks we are getting older and that it will take over a year to conceive. Too many thoughts in my head lately!!
  • Options
    You don't know if you are ready. I just decided to stop it, if you are going to do it you just do it. It is a little scary but it is a nice feeling. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    My last pill was over the weekend and I didn't wimp out and refill another month. FF just reaffirmed my decision to quit BC after reading a recent email lesson stating,

"Ovulation could return as early as the next menstrual cycle after you stop taking birth control pills, although regular cycles (every 24 to 32 days) could be delayed for a few months. Once your ovulatory cycle does return, your chances of getting pregnantare about 20% per month. If regular cycles don’t return within six months after you stop taking birth control, talk with your doctor."

I'm going to start temping and let it sink in that I was very naive to assume that I'd become pregnant the instant I quit taking the pill. Of course that's always a possibility, I am just worried that I waited too long to stop BC because my cycle may end being crazy.
  • Options
    I went off BC at the end of May with plans to start TTC in Sept.  I agree to start tracking your temps - it is very helpful to get a sense of when you have O'ed.  That way, if you are sure you don't want to get pregnant yet and are using backup protection, you can stop using condoms (or whatever other protection) once O is confirmed.  You should also start tracking your CM and cervical position, if that is something you plan on doing, to try to get the hang of it for when you're actually trying.

I also noticed that my sex drive reappeared after stopping BC and it seems to be particularly prominent around O (makes sense) so be aware of this!
  • Options
    Wishing you lots of luck! I was on birth control for 11 years and I've been off it for about 3, it took quite some time for my cycle to regulate itself out. Obviously that meant that my ovulation was also a bit wonky for a bit. I found it really helpful to start using an app on my phone after I stopped taking it to still chart it, which ultimately was a helpful tool to have now that im TTC as well.
  • Options

I also noticed that my sex drive reappeared after stopping BC and it seems to be particularly prominent around O (makes sense) so be aware of this!
    I had the same thing happen with me as well!
  • Options
    Once off the pill, has anyone experienced hot flashes? I have been experiencing one a day, mostly in the evenings. My doctor laughed when I told her and asked if it was just hot in our house and to turn on the AC, and clearly did not believe me. (As a side note, I'm also looking for a new doctor.)
  • Options
    So I guess this applies but I did finally ovulate this cycle after I got Mirena out on July 1st. And just like some people here said, it happened very late in my cycle. So yep, just another reminder to be cautious!! 

And another reason to temp. I'm so thankful I'm monitoring my cycles so I can talk to your doctor at the six month mark if my cycles are still wonky.