TTC after 35
Options

Experience with MC Pill? Weather or not to take it twice?

Hey there. So I was prescribed the pill to help my MC along since I wasn't cramping or spotting at all. I took it last Friday and long story short I ended up going to the ER because I was afraid of how much blood I was loosing. I didn't need a transfusion but was borderline anemic per my doctor. Well today I had a follow up ultrasound and it turns out that even after loosing what I thought was an insane amount of blood and passing lots of large clots the embryo/sack didn't pass. So now I'm waiting to see if it will pass naturally again. My doctor said that I could do the pill again to start the cramping and hopefully expel the sack, but she understands that I am a bit hesitant to try that again based on my first experience with the pill. She also said that if it didn't pass in the next 2 weeks they would have to do a D&C to clear it out. 

What I'm curious about is, if anyone has experience with this, would the second time taking the pill be less traumatic? Less blood, clotting etc? I would hope so since there was SO MUCH the first time but I'm nervous to try it again. Do you think it would be better to just wait the 2 weeks and see if my body takes care of it on its own? My doctor gave me the two options and said it was up to me what I wanted to do, so just looking for some advice.

Thanks!

Re: Experience with MC Pill? Weather or not to take it twice?

• Options
    I don't have that specific experience, but did take the pill 2 days in a row. The first day I was, well, in labor. Horrible pains for a couple hours. I took it again the next day, bc that's what my dr told me to do to make sure everything was passed, and nothing really happened. No real pain, but later that day I do think I passed the embryo. When I asked my dr about it, she said it's likely that the first day's "work" was sufficient and that my body knew it didn't need to respond as dramatically. And when I had my ultrasound everything had passed.
    I understand your concern, though. It's a terrible experience to have to go through it twice. I hope that your body takes over so you don't have to worry about more decisions and procedures.
    Hugs to you.
  • Options
    With my last loss, things weren't passing naturally and I was given the choice of a D&C or a methotrexate shot. We went with the shot since it was way cheaper and everything passed three days later. Not sure if that's an option if you already took the pill (I don't really know what the pill is, by the way). You could also wait a few days because sometimes it takes awhile for things to break down completely. So sorry you are going through all of this...
    ME: 36 (PCOS), DH: excellent SA
    NTNP since 11/12, actively trying since 8/14
    m/c @ 7w (4/22/14), m/c @ 6w (11/19/14)
    11/15: Letrozole, Ovidrel, TI = BFP!!!
    Beta #1(14dpo)=349, Beta #2(18dpo)=2,805
    12/17/15: Got to see the heartbeat (105bpm)!
    1/25/16: NT scan = normal (HB=163bpm)
    EDD: 8/10/16 
    8/8/16: Baby boy born @ 12:25am, 8lbs, 20.5 inches
    5/18/17: BFP!!! (11dpo)
    Beta #1(12dpo)=176.4, Beta #2(15dpo)=607.1
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I am so sorry you are still going through all of this.
    @KirstenAlecia had a similar situation with taking the pill. I believe she ended up with a d&c even with two doses. Try looking up her old posts if you want to read her story. Not sure if she checks In here all that often.
    I will be thinking if you and praying that this is all over for you soon.

Me:39, DH:40

DD born 8/96, DS born 8/04

TTC#3

NTNP since 2006, active trying 1/13

Natural M/C 3/13 at 7 weeks

CP 2/14

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

imageimage

All welcome

• Options
    Thanks everyone! I think Im going to wait a few day like @jilligan14 suggests. In retrospect I should have probably followed up with the second pill the day after I took the first but I was so certain everything had passed it didn't occur to me. Thanks @hooligans4 I will look up KristenAlecia's older posts for more info!
  • Options
    @rspalding001 - how is it going? Have you taken another pill or have things passed naturally? Hoping you are doing okay...
    ME: 36 (PCOS), DH: excellent SA
    NTNP since 11/12, actively trying since 8/14
    m/c @ 7w (4/22/14), m/c @ 6w (11/19/14)
    11/15: Letrozole, Ovidrel, TI = BFP!!!
    Beta #1(14dpo)=349, Beta #2(18dpo)=2,805
    12/17/15: Got to see the heartbeat (105bpm)!
    1/25/16: NT scan = normal (HB=163bpm)
    EDD: 8/10/16 
    8/8/16: Baby boy born @ 12:25am, 8lbs, 20.5 inches
    5/18/17: BFP!!! (11dpo)
    Beta #1(12dpo)=176.4, Beta #2(15dpo)=607.1
  • Options
    @rspalding001 I hope things went ok. 
    I went through hell and back with the pills and I hope that you had an easier time of it........I ended up with a D&C after all of it. 
    Let us know how you are. 
    I have had a crazy month here with work so not very inter webs  active as I would like to be......
    SIGGY WARNING
    Me 38   DH 34
    married 05-21-11 
    started TTC right away

BFP- 10-16-14 EDD 6/13/15: MC 12-1-14 
  • Options
    @jilligan14 @KristenAlecia So I decided against taking the pill again. The bleeding completely stopped about a week ago and I'm afraid the sack probably adhered back to the wall of my uterus again so to me that means there is too great a chance of massive bleeding again if I were to take the pill. The way my OB explained it to me is the cramps cause the sack to separate from the uterus wall and that causes an open wound which is why I got all the bleeding and blood clots the first time. In retrospect I should have probably taken the second pill right away to push the sack out after the first round of bleeding had subsided but I didn't because I thought it was all taken care of. At this point I'm just waiting one more week and then we will schedule a D&C for probably the 31st or maybe the 1st of August. Especially after considering how I might need a D&C even if I took the pill again it just seemed less traumatic to not try it again. I currently feel fine, no cramps, no bleeding, no discomfort. Just sucks havign to wait is all. Thanks for checking in on me ;)
  • Options
    ugh Im sorry. I had an an awful time with the pill route as well. It really was torture and I know what you mean about the bleeding. More than once I bled so much I went pale and weak and scarred the crap out of H in my 2 rounds of the pill.......I agree with you on just going the route of the D&C if thats whats needed. 
    SIGGY WARNING
    Me 38   DH 34
    married 05-21-11 
    started TTC right away

BFP- 10-16-14 EDD 6/13/15: MC 12-1-14