Trying to Get Pregnant
Options

Trying to fall pregnant with PCOS

Hi all, I have had PCOS since I was 16, I am now 28 and trying to fall pregnant for the first time.
My husband and I have been trying quite activily for about 6 weeks now, in which I have not had my period since my last cycle... And I'm not pregnant, two tests have come back negative.
We stopped using protection in October of 2014 and took an 'if it happens it happens' attitute towards it. But as I said within the last 6 weeks we've realy started going for it.
I saw my doctor about a month ago and she has prescribed about 3 different pills to take which my husband doesnt want me to do yet.
Has anyone had any experience with falling pregnant naturally with PCOS? And what medication have you been prescribed if not?

Re: Trying to fall pregnant with PCOS

• Options
    I don't have advice for you because I haven't been pregnant yet, but I also have PCOS and wanted to offer up some good vibes and wish you good luck! 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Thankyou!!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Yes.  I have PCOS and was able to get pregnant.  The hardest part of getting there was trying to figure out when to "do it" at the right time.  Unfortunately, I was not able to maintain the pregnancy.  I don't know what or why it happened, but it just did.   It is possible to get pregnant.  My doctor prescribed Metformin because I have insulin resistance.

First Pregnancy
    • BFP: 01/25/2015
    • EDD: 09/28/2015
    • Incomplete MC: 02/28/2015

Second Pregnancy

• BFP: 09/11/2015
    • EDD: 05/25/2016
    Baby Born
    04/15/2016

PGAL
  • Options
    mrskalmrskal member
    What pills did the doctor prescribe? Did They do the full blood work? Ultrasound?

I have pcos and high insulin and prescribed metformin and myo inositol with other supplements, according to my doctor it increases chances of fertilisation and improves the egg quality.
    So what medication is it??
  • Options
    I was prescribed provera metformin and clomid
  • Options
    St0v3sSt0v3s member
    edited July 2015
    My doctor prescribed me metformin before i Was TTC. The metformin is used to help prevent diabetes because I have insulin resistance.

Me- 25,DH-28

Anniversary

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Options
    mrsdrags said:
    I was prescribed provera metformin and clomid

Do not take the clomid! You should only take under the proper care and monitoring of an RE. It's a serious drug that can have serious consequences.
  • Options
    Provera will jump start your next period.
    Metformin helps with PCOS.
    but don't take clomid unless youve dobe dobe all the testing and will do all the monitoring.
    Here's my normal spiel on Clomid.
    Ok. Hello and welcome. I have been on clomid myself and have read many stories on this board for 6 years from women on clomid.

First of all before you take clomid, you need to make sure you don't have any other problems that would make the clomid moot. That is because clomid has a lifetime max of 6 cycles. After that some doctors won't give more clomid because of a potential concern about cancer. Although that link has not been proven. Also, if it doesn't work after 6 cycles, it's probably not going to work. The two most important tests are a semen analysis for your husband and an hsg to make sure your tubes are open.

For each cycle you are on clomid, you need Bloodwork and vaginal ultrasounds on cycle day 3 and then starting mid cycle about every other day until you ovulate. Opks are not reliable when you are on clomid. The tests on cycle day 3 are to measure your hormones, check for pregnancy (clomid is not good if pregnabt) and check for cysts (clomid causes cysts. Also, if you start a cycle with a cyst and take more clomid, the cyst may grow exponentially and cause you to lose an ovary. I have seen some women on this site end up in the ER because they weren't monitored.)

The ultrasounds also check if you are overresponding or underresponding. If you overrespond (like I did) you have to decide whether to cancel the cycle or risk high order multiples and a second trimester selective abortion. If you underrespond, you doc may change meds for next time.

The ultrasounds also check your uterine lining, because clomid might cause your uterine lining to be too thin and prevent pregnancy.

Another side effect is that clomid may dry up your cervical mucus, thereby decreasing your chances of pregnancy. That's why reproductive endocrinologists usually pair clomid with an intrauterine insemination.

Finally, I would very highly recommend you see a reproductive endocrinologist for infertility and not an OB. REs are the experts here, not OBs and they do the proper tests and monitoring as a matter of course.
    My TTC History:
    2009: missed miscarriage #1 at 9 weeks (trisomy 16)
    2010: Infertility
    2011: Diagnosis and treatment (low sperm count, anastrozole for DH, clomid for me + IUI)
    2012: Baby #1
    2014: Baby #2
    October 2015: missed miscarriage #2 at 11 weeks (trisomy 22)
    March 2016 BFP#5, due November 2016.

My Charts since 2009

• Options
    I have PCOS, and I was able to conceive with Metformin. With PCOS, you REALLY need to chart. It will tell you if you are even ovulating.
  • Options
    mrskalmrskal member
    From your post it suggests it was your first visit to the doctor, he/she just gave you all the medication together,
    As pp said- provera is to jump start your period, but that's if you go 60 days without it,

Metformin is for pcos with insulin resistance(like me)

And obviously clomid should never be taken unmonitored.

I recommend a new doctor!
  • Options
    -dirty lurker-

I was diagnosed with PCOS in September 2014 though I had the symptoms for many years prior. I got pregnant naturally right after getting married this May. We were NTNP starting the night of our wedding, and conceived in June (my LMP was in APRIL.) I decided that once AF showed up, I would get serious about temping because I hadn't previously confirmed if I was ovulating (and of course AF never showed, because I got knocked up). But my plan was to start charting to figure out what was going on.

Getting pregnant was dumb luck. My last several cycles were 45, 63, 41, 76, 62, and 47 days long. Though I wasn't temping, I tracked other signs of fertility and believe I O'd on CD 56, got a BFP on CD 70. We only had sex when we were in the mood (which was a lot, bc #newlyweds).

I think being aware of and tracking other fertility signs could be very helpful (in addition to temping of course). Good luck. I hope you don't feel any sort of shame if you do need drugs to help you get there. Do you know why your partner is opposed to them?
    LFAF Awards

me: 27 | husband: 35
    IR PCOS  dx Sept. 2014

married May 2015 --> started NTNP
    BFP 6.28.15 - EDD 3.6.16 
    baby #1 born 2.19.16 

TTC #2 in April 2017
    BFP 12.30.17 - EDD 9.6.18

Fertility Friend Chart
  • Options
    Thanks for all your help and advice and suggestions! I had NO idea that clomid had to be monitored my Doctor didnt tell me any of that. Definately going to be looking for a new doctor and second opinion!
    My partner is opposed to taking anything for now as we have only really started trying properly for the last 6 weeks and by properly i mean, having sex every 2 days.
    He wants to see if it will happen naturally within the next few months and if not we will then look at the other options.
  • Options
    @mrsdrags makes sense. good luck!
    LFAF Awards

IR PCOS  dx Sept. 2014

BFP 6.28.15 - EDD 3.6.16 
    baby #1 born 2.19.16 

TTC #2 in April 2017

Fertility Friend Chart
  • Options
    fwtx5815 said:
    Just remember, PCOS can make you have long and irregular cycles. So you may not ovulate at all one cycle, then O on cd 19, then the next may be on CD 35. Who knows with PCOS.
  • Options

fwtx5815 said:

Just remember, PCOS can make you have long and irregular cycles. So you may not ovulate at all one cycle, then O on cd 19, then the next may be on CD 35. Who knows with PCOS.

Yes, I have first hand experience with the long and irregular cycles myself (as noted in my PP). My thoughts are, if OP and her husband are wanting to give it a try for a few months the natural way, that's not harming anything - I assume they're aware that it could take some time and they may be in the same position six months later. If they're okay with potentially losing time, then there's no issue.
    LFAF Awards

IR PCOS  dx Sept. 2014

BFP 6.28.15 - EDD 3.6.16 
    baby #1 born 2.19.16 

TTC #2 in April 2017

Fertility Friend Chart
  • Options
    mrsdrags said:

Thanks for all your help and advice and suggestions! I had NO idea that clomid had to be monitored my Doctor didnt tell me any of that. Definately going to be looking for a new doctor and second opinion!
    My partner is opposed to taking anything for now as we have only really started trying properly for the last 6 weeks and by properly i mean, having sex every 2 days.
    He wants to see if it will happen naturally within the next few months and if not we will then look at the other options.

That's a lot of sex! :)
    My TTC History:
    2009: missed miscarriage #1 at 9 weeks (trisomy 16)
    2010: Infertility
    2011: Diagnosis and treatment (low sperm count, anastrozole for DH, clomid for me + IUI)
    2012: Baby #1
    2014: Baby #2
    October 2015: missed miscarriage #2 at 11 weeks (trisomy 22)
    March 2016 BFP#5, due November 2016.

My Charts since 2009

• Options

mrsdrags said:

That's a lot of sex! :)

I just thought if ovulation isnt regular you cant really go wrong with every two days.. Eventually must be bound to happen right, if not now maybe in 6-12 months. Fingers crossed