Toddlers: 24 Months+
Options

Why does my 2 year old (29 months) asks to be carried when she is scolded, or when she is told "No"

My 2 year old daughter often asks to be carried, which is still understandable at this age. (when she is tired, wants to be coddled, when she is scared etc) 

However, she recently started to ask to be carried in the midst of being scolded ( I will be scolding her and she will suddenly say "mama carry! carry!") then when i don't comply she will go in to a fit and eventually a frenzy. The screaming and frenzy can last 20-30 minutes or longer.
I have tried, ignoring her, talking to her, negotiating (as much with a 2 year old…!) scolding her more, everything but nothing stops her unless she is carried.

The same thing also happens if i tell her she can't do something. (i.e.: she wanted to take a different route when walking back from nursery and I told her no). She will suddenly ask to be carried.

I don't think i should arry her just to stop her tantrums, especially when she is in the middle of being scolded, as it would seems like a reward instead.

Why does she do this and what can i do about it. Any advice?   Thank you!

Answers

• Options

Seems like she does it because she's having some insecurities when you are upset with her. I agree that picking her up won't help the situation. Can you try talking to her?

I'm sure it's just a phase like everything else so try different things to see what works.

• Options
    She's probably trying to reconnect with you. I don't see carrying her as a reward but if you're not comfortable with it maybe kneel down and give her a hug and explain what you would like for her to do and offer to hold her hand.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    red3yered3ye member
    That actually helps me as well. My 2 year old has begun to want kisses when he gets into trouble. I thought he was just trying to "suck up " and get out of trouble. But you girls could be right: insecurity could cause it to. Time for a new tactic.