Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

FTM needing help! Fussy baby!

My LO was born 5 weeks early. She was great for the first 5 or so weeks. I attempted to breastfeed for the first 3 weeks but wasn't producing hardly any milk/mostly supplementing so we went strictly to FF. She was started on Enfamil Newborn in the hospital so we stuck with that. Around 5 weeks, she started to get really fussy, so the pediatrician suggested we switch her formula. Tried Gentlease, which seemed to slightly help her temperment but it made her really constipated -- she had very dry, clay like poop and screamed bloody murder when trying to pass them. So we then tried similac sensitive along with Zantac, because she was just getting fussier as the days go on.

It has been 3.5 weeks since and I can tell she is still just so uncomfortable. I hate to switch her formula again, so I called the pediatrician looking for advice and all they suggested was increasing her zantac dose. We have also tried regular doses of gripe water and gas drops.

Can anyone suggest anything for this stressed out, FTM? Luckily she sleeps pretty well throughout the night but when she is awake, she is miserable.

Re: FTM needing help! Fussy baby!

• Options
    uta10uta10 member
    Has she had a stool sample tested for food allergies? I doubt that's what it is because she would likely have soft stool if that was the issue, but it wouldn't hurt to check.
  • Options
    @uta10 no she hasn't. Since she has been on the sensitive formula she has loose stools that range from dark green to yellow.. Maybe I should ask about that anyways.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    els831els831 member
    I haven't tried it personally, but one thing I saw when I was making my registry was The Windi. It had amazing reviews and might be helpful for you.
  • Options
    leela02leela02 member
    edited July 2015
    Ask your LO's doc if you can give her a little prune juice. It has really worked with my LO's constipation. We used to give her about an ounce a day & her doctor said that was fine. We give her less now because her bowel movements have improved. You can also try a hypoallergenic formula like Nutramigen. They are a lot more expensive but it might be worth it to try at least once to see if it helps.
  • Options
    My daughter's ped swears by probiotics.  Like, half a capsule of an adult dose once a day.  I've not tried it yet because I have anxiety about basically everything, but a friend goes to the same dr and swears by the probiotic. I think it's called Kyodopholus?
  • Options
    Tarebear17Tarebear17 member
    edited July 2015
    I had the same experience with my baby girl. We tried everything! Honestly, things didn't get better truly until our LO put on weight. But we did buy the windii and it was gross but did help. We just reused them by sterilizing them in boiling water. You can get them on Amazon. Probiotics, gas drops, formula, all did not help. In fact some made it worse. The iron in the formula constipated her. I would see if you can give her some breast milk. The oils in breast milk are like lubricant that makes it easier to pass. Even a little breast milk helps. I did formula and breast milk, still do. The bonus to formula is they put on weight faster and then seem to have an easier time passing gas and poop. I hope that helps.
  • Options
    I stopped breastfeeding 9 weeks ago, I doubt I'd be aable to produce any now, especially since I just went back to work this week.