Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Baby has HORRIBLE gas pains - FTM out of ideas

Hello everyone. I am a FTM and my LO is 5 weeks old and has had horrible gas pains for about 4 of them. I'm talking turning purple from screaming kind of pain. My heart absolutely breaks for him and it kills me not knowing how to make it better. I am EBF and even met with a LC to see if it was something I was eating. I've tired mylicon drops (as recommended by the pediatrician), gripe water, fennel tea and most recently gerber colic drops and nothing seems to help. As for my diet I have completely given up dairy, spices and broccoli. Has anyone else even gone through this that might have some encouraging words of advice? I know babies cry but to see him in so much pain is torture. :-( 

Re: Baby has HORRIBLE gas pains - FTM out of ideas

• Options
    rae430rae430 member
    Ugh I feel you. My DS is 8 weeks and has been having horrible gas since week 3. Sometimes I think some babies just react worse to gas than others and we just have super sensitive little guys! He still has some gas issues, but is usually able to sleep in 3-5 hour stretches now instead of waking up every hour with pain. I've been burping him religiously after every feeding, bicycling his legs and massaging his belly at every diaper change, and trying to keep him either upright or on his belly for as long as possible every day (especially by carrying him in a wrap). When I carry him in the wrap, he's a little fart and belch machine, but I think it's easier for him to pass gas when he's not laying down. I've also been nursing him in the laid back/natural position, which puts some pressure on his tummy and makes him burp a lot more DURING the feeding. I've also given him gas drops but I don't know how useful they really are. Good luck! It will all be better when they can sit up and start getting more mobile, so at least we know it's temporary :)
  • Options
    My pediatrician recommended making baby wait 3 hours between feedings. Seemed to help. After he realized he had to wait, he eats more in one sitting and it helps with the gas. Also, Google the I love you massage. It has really helped. I do the massage and then push his knees to his chest. I just keeping doing that over and over again until he stops passing gas or poops. Hope this helps for you, too! I totally feel your pain. My baby has horrible tummy issues also.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I was also going to recommend pumping their legs. It really helps--my son always relieves his gas immediately when I do that
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options
    About eating: I know that my LO will suffer from gas if I eat raw veggies especially paprika and fruits (even steamed veggies are no-no for us), bread, pancakes, jam, chocolate, milk and juices. Can you try to put down what you eat and how LO is feeling after that (within 6h)? You will see if something in your diet is wrong. If everything is ok than I can only say that gas will pass about 4 months. Try bathing! It also helps a lot;)
  • Options
    Baby massage videos on You Tube, gripe water, bicycling legs.
  • Options
    Slpst5Slpst5 member
    Also have your pedi/lc check for lip and tongue tie. My DS had a severe lip tie and his latch while bf and on the bottle were causing a ton of gas issues. We got the lip tie fixed and saw a HUGE improvement.