December 2015 Moms
Options

Gestational diabetes support group

alright ladies. I'll be one of the first on here as I was tested early because I've had it before, but maybe this thread will be helpful as some more of us get diagnosed. I was diagnosed last week- I failed the 1 hour so spectacularly at 18w that I didn't even need to do the 3 hour- I have my counseling appt on Thursday. I'm not shocked I had it with my DD and even ended up on insulin. Just mentally preparing myself for the upcoming

Re: Gestational diabetes support group

• Options
    ksrkimksrkim member
    Great idea! I'll be a part of it if I get it again!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have gestational diabetes and I'm on long acting insulin I'm 19 weeks today. I was diagnosed about a month and a half ago so pretty early. It sucks I'm not going to lie! Nothing seems to maintain consistent blood sugar whether I eat healthy or not but I try to stay away from sweets, and sugary drinks. I have only gained about 2 lbs but was a bit over weight before pregnancy which is why they tested me early.
  • Options
    I was tested early due to family history of diabetes. Failed the 1 hour, took the 3 hour and also failed that. I was diagnosed at 12 weeks, and am currently 17 weeks. I was a little surprised since it was so early, and now I wonder if I was diabetic before getting pregnant. I'm now on 1.25 mg glyburide at night because I couldn't get my fasting numbers below 90 without it. Also struggling with HG, and having a hard time eating the amount of protein that my dr said I should because I just can't seem to keep it down.
  • Options
    Honestly I don't know if I was before pregnancy, but in don't think I was. I have had my dr check in the past and numbers were normal. My OB wanted to do a blood test to see what the last couple months looked like but I declined. I've had 12 blood draws in 18 weeks and that one seemed unbecessay. If I am, I will be after the baby. If I'm not, I won't be. Seems like water under the bridge at this point it's not going to change my plan of action. Just hoping to stay off insulin with diet for as long as possible
  • Options
    Good idea! I am doing the 3 hour test on Friday since I failed the 1 hour test last week after bloodwork showed my glucose level was a bit high.
  • Options
    I had GD with my first pregnancy 10 years ago. I've had prediabetes and got my a1c out of the prediabetes range as well. I have my 18 w 1 hr check coming up, I'm nervous but if it comes back positive I'm going to ask for insulin right away because I have a history of macrosomia
    BabyFetus Ticker

DD May 2005 MC Nov. 2012
    MC Aug. 2014
    Chemical Feb. 2015
  • Options
    I'm having issues with the insulin not being very effective to lower my blood sugar even though I'm on two different kinds. Anyone have this issue? Also today it's higher than normal and I've been sick all day, nauseated and super tired! I'm 20 weeks. Any of you have symptoms when blood sugar is high? I haven't in the past but I'm feeling it today
  • Options
    I failed both my glucose tests (1hr and 3hr) and had to start monitoring my levels two weeks ago (family history of diabetes). I just had my AS yesterday and my MFM said I will need to be on insulin because my fasting levels are high as well as high levels in the evening. I'm really scared because I have a fear of needles. My insurance won't cover the quick pens so we are working with syringes and vials. I am dreading going to the pharmacy today to pick everything up. I'm having twins and my doctors said that I will be induced 37/38 weeks so I just keep telling myself that I'm over the hump and just a few months left (they confirmed gestational and not pre-diabetic so I'm hoping everything will resolve itself after I have the babies). Thankfully my husband has been great and said he will give me the shots so I don't have to do it to myself. 

I'm tired all the time but I thought that was because of the babies! :) 
  • Options

I'm having issues with the insulin not being very effective to lower my blood sugar even though I'm on two different kinds. Anyone have this issue? Also today it's higher than normal and I've been sick all day, nauseated and super tired! I'm 20 weeks. Any of you have symptoms when blood sugar is high? I haven't in the past but I'm feeling it today

When you are sick your blood sugars tend to run higher. Check your sugar before every meal and before bed time and write those done. Do a couple checks two hours after a meal and write those done as well. If you are taking your insulin as directed and they are still high do a day or two food diary and talke ALL a this info into your doctor to determine what the problem might be. Sometimes it's as simple as needing to increase the insulin dose and sometimes it's your diet that needs more adjustment.
    BabyFetus Ticker

DD May 2005 MC Nov. 2012
    MC Aug. 2014
    Chemical Feb. 2015
  • Options
    @rmortinsen I'm having that issue too- they have me on insulin at night because my fasting numbers are ridiculous but they just keep upping it and it doesn't seem to have any effect its soooo frustrating
  • Options
    I've had diabetes for about 3 years. My dr put me on glyburide and my numbers are great at fasting, however, no matter what I eat for Bkft my numbers are high. A few days ago I increased my morning dosage and I thought I was going to die. Sweating, trembling, dizziness. I drank some juice and started feeling better. I'm going to the dr this morning to see what else I can do to control these numbers! This is a terrible disease with or without being pregnant.
  • Options
    I had GD with my 3 previous pregnancies. The Drs didn't seem that worried about it and told me to avoid sugar. Totally different story with this pregnancy since I am 36 and they are identical twinnies. My Dr is making me test 1st thing in the morning and an hour after every meal. I go in next week for her counceling and they want me to go in for diabetes education class. My fasting test is between 82-85...the lunch test seems highest between 110-135. 135 was after eating a lot more than I usually do. I am hoping I don't have to go on insulin. I am also walking 60-90 minutes a day so far.
    My DH loves to tease me by eating cereal and sweetened foods... Even watermelon which I crave but can't have any :(
    It sucks but having full term twinnies will be reward enough. I Think I will beg for a bowl of froot loops after delivery, lol.
  • Options

I've had diabetes for about 3 years. My dr put me on glyburide and my numbers are great at fasting, however, no matter what I eat for Bkft my numbers are high. A few days ago I increased my morning dosage and I thought I was going to die. Sweating, trembling, dizziness. I drank some juice and started feeling better. I'm going to the dr this morning to see what else I can do to control these numbers! This is a terrible disease with or without being pregnant.

Glyburide if I am thinking of the name correctly is a sulfonlurea, it's a great drug and it tells your pancreas to secrete more insukin. Hypoglycemia is one potential adverse effect. You could talk to your doc about nutritional dose insulin to help with meal time spikes. I would define you ask to refer you to a diabetes care clinic they have more experience than OBS with DM and might be able to help get you more under control.
    BabyFetus Ticker

DD May 2005 MC Nov. 2012
    MC Aug. 2014
    Chemical Feb. 2015
  • Options

@rmortinsen I'm having that issue too- they have me on insulin at night because my fasting numbers are ridiculous but they just keep upping it and it doesn't seem to have any effect its soooo frustrating

Fasting goal is under 150. Are you on lantus (glargine) or levemir? How much are you taking at bedtime?
    BabyFetus Ticker

DD May 2005 MC Nov. 2012
    MC Aug. 2014
    Chemical Feb. 2015
  • Options
    @nik6499 nope my endocrinologists fasting goal is under 95- I'm on NPR 16 units at bedtime
  • Options
    So you have a tighter fasting goal during pregnancy, we typically use 150 for Type II diabetics to ensure proper long acting dosage. Is that NPH? Is it cloudy? I'd have to look I'm used to the full names and don't recall NPR, but we typically use lantus and levemir with our regular diabetics and I don't always see the other preps. What's your fasting running right now
    BabyFetus Ticker

DD May 2005 MC Nov. 2012
    MC Aug. 2014
    Chemical Feb. 2015
  • Options
    Is this still an active Thread??? Just got diagnosed at 20 weeks!
  • Options
    Same question! Let's make it active again! I just got diagnosed at 23weeks. I failed the 1 hour test. For the 3-hr, the fasting and first hour were normal, then the 2nd and 3rd hours were only a little bit high, but just enough that my regular doctor has to send me to an Ob/Gyn. Hopefully the new doctor will be as open to nutrition and natural remedies as my regular doc!! I don't usually eat much sugar, so the glucose drink was really a lot, and I think that may have affected the test a little. Here's hoping I can control it with diet.
  • Options
    I was just diagnosed today, 25 weeks. My fasting, one and 2 hours were all high...by the third hour I was back in range. I am also hopeful that it can be controlled with diet. 
  • Options
    I take 2 shots of insulin a day & still can't seem to get my fasting number down. Wth? I'm 21 wks with my 5th frustrating!
  • Options
    I hope this is still an open thread. I just got diagnosed today with GD. I failed the 1 hr test and just barely failed the 3 hr test. My fasting was just under and the 3 hr was just under but the 1 and 2 hours were pretty high. Since I failed two out of four my doctor said I have GD. I'm making my appt. for dietician for this week. I'm so nervous. I'm a FTM. My dad has type 2 diabetes and my sister had GD with both of her pregnancies. She had to go on insulin. I'm really hoping I can control mine with diet and excessive. Any advice and diet suggestions are welcome! Please and thank you!!!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Catherine1021Catherine1021 member
    edited August 2015
    When I was diagnosed (at 12 weeks,) I was also fine at fasting and 3hr, but was high at 1 & 2 hours. My fasting numbers slowly started to creep up though, and I am now on medication for fasting. Exercise helps with my numbers after I eat, but it didn't seem to help with fasting numbers. I felt so bad about not being able to control those numbers with diet and exercise, but my OB says that with GD, fasting is often the most difficult to get under control.

I was super scared/nervous about GD at first, but now it's all just become habit. I still have difficult days once in awhile, but overall I think it's going pretty well.
  • Options
    I've been diet controlled since about 18 weeks. My fasting is approx 80-111 depending on how late I eat at night. If I eat after 8pm I'm over 100 in the am, if I don't im in the 80s and 90s
    BabyFetus Ticker

DD May 2005 MC Nov. 2012
    MC Aug. 2014
    Chemical Feb. 2015
  • Options
    I tested just enough high to fail, but I've been monitoring my sugar and it's completely normal. I haven't changed my diet at all. I don't usually eat much sugar, so that's why I think I failed. I was just seeing my friend, who is a family doc, so now I have to switch to a Ob/gyn. I'll see her Friday. Hopefully she just lets me keep what I'm doing, so long as I'm "normal"!!! :)
  • Options
    I have known I had diabetes for about a year.  Checking my blood four times a day.  Taking insulin four times a day.  Had lots and lots of gd or undiagnosed type 2 diabetes problems with my previous pregnancies.  This one-so far so good.  
  • Options
    I just scored 214 on my one hour.....very surprised as I am not overweight or have a history of it and not sure if they will make me do 3 hour or just say I failed and start to monitor me. Uhhhhhh.
  • Options
    JennaAmiDe, I'm not overweight either and never have been. I've gained the right amount of weight my entire pregnancy so far. My doctor said it's just genetics and hormones, not much we can do about it. My sister had GD and my dad has type-2 so I was already prone to have it thanks to my family genetics. I meet with my dietician next week. I'm nervous because I've heard the dietician will recommend peanut butter and nuts, but my husband is severely and deathly allergic to peanuts and tree nuts. I can't even keep anything in the house. If I eat something (which I normally don't) I have to make sure I brush my teeth, floss, and use mouthwash before I even kiss him. So I'm going to have to tell the dietician that peanut butter and nuts just won't work for me. I'm really hoping this diet won't be too hard to follow or make it really difficult for my husband. I guess I'll know more next week. :(
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @MrsMangis thanks! No diabetes in my family either but dr called and confirmed I have it. Waiting for a call from the nurse for finger pricks and all the other fun stuff that goes along with it. That is scary about the nuts hopefully you are able to figure out the right snacks for you!
  • Options
    SamanthaMO127SamanthaMO127 member
    edited September 2015
    @MrsMangis I just met with the nurse today to talk about diet and get my blood sugar monitor.  While nuts and peanut butter are low carb foods, they were only one of many things that are on the approved list. Basically, at least where I am, it's all about counting carbs and making sure you don't have too many carbs at one sitting.
  • Options
    I don't like peanut butter and rarely eat nuts. I'm managing my GD just fine. I avoid drinking my carbs and try to stick to 4-5 servings of carb per meal, some days I do better than others.
    BabyFetus Ticker

DD May 2005 MC Nov. 2012
    MC Aug. 2014
    Chemical Feb. 2015
  • Options
    Just joined the club.. Although i didn't want to :(
  • Options
    I'm so glad I found this discussion thread. Thanks for all the advice ladies and the encouraging words. It's good to know I'm not alone in this battle. I'll update once I've visited with my dietician next week. For right now, I'm only drinking water (nothing else) and trying to count carbs. Carbs are in a lot more food than I had originally thought. LOL! 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    For what it's worth, I have had GD with both of my pregnancies and the first time around I was working in a nut-aware school (I wasn't really supposed to bring nuts to school with me). I was able to find plenty of alternatives that I could have. My dietician was really good about coming up with alternatives. Nuts are a good easy snack, but it is do-able without them, at least in my experience. So far I have been able to handle the GD with diet alone.
  • Options
    Does anybody have any good, interesting, snack ideas that are friendly for GD? I recently discovered a delicious spreadable cheese with 5g of protein for every two tablespoons (Dubliner spreadable cheese) and it was a much needed change in my snack routine. I also heard of some new protein yogurt drinks but I haven't tried them yet. Does anybody have any good recommendations?
  • Options
    You really want to focus on ensuring that the carbohydrates are within portion. 1 serving of carbohydrates = 15 g snacks should be about 15g of carb meals should be about 60-75 g carb
    BabyFetus Ticker

DD May 2005 MC Nov. 2012
    MC Aug. 2014
    Chemical Feb. 2015
  • Options
    I had GD with both pregnancies 2005 & 2002, & was then Dx with Type 2 in 2011. This pregnancy we started off on Glyburide (I was controlling with diet and exercise pre-pregnancy) & just last week started on insulin. My OB said that as the placenta gets bigger, it secretes more anti-insulin hormone. So with that said, I'm taking 1 type of insulin at bedtime and breakfast & another type just to cover my dinner.

Food wise... Some snacks/foods that have helped me are cottage cheese with strawberries, I drink almond milk instead of regular milk, apples and peanut butter. I think it's by Orowheat and they make these bread thins. I will usually have 1 slice and some cream cheese at night so I don't go low.

The important thing which I think we all know now, is to be mindful of those dreaded carbs. But you can get creative & actually have a decent meal. =) walking after meals also helps with bringing your blood sugar down.
    All I can say is I'm so thankful for the insulin pens that I'm using now! The needles are so tiny I can't even feel anything compared to when I had to do insulin with my previous pregnancies. Those needles were huge and they hurt!!!
  • Options
    Hi all, I saw my OB today and he said the blood glucose test came back well. When I got home and read it though my level after the 2 hours was right on the cusp of having gestational diabetes. I had an ultrasound the other day and Bub is measuring in the 95th percentile so I'm just a bit concerned. What were your readings after the 2 hour tests?