December 2014 Moms
Options

Has anyone started giving their LO a sippy cup?

I'm a FTM and my son is 6 months I was wondering if it's a good idea to buy him one to try.

Answers

• Options
    NOW!  My LO was using a sippy since just before 5 months.  If they can hold a bottle or almost hold it, they can use a sippy.  You might need to transition the nipple from bottle to sippy slowly though, but the Nuby 3-1 sippy cups fit the Dr Brown's nipples.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

• Options
    We use a sippy with water on extra hot days when we're outside or days we he's extra active
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    pchungpchung member
    Any recommendations on sippy cups?  There are so many out there. 
  • Options
    Nuby 3-1 bottle/sippy cup works well

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

• Options
    Oh geez I've tried giving my 6 1/2 mth old a training sippy cup with some water in it and she has no clue what to do with it. She won't even put the nipple in her mouth. I'll just keep giving it to her so she can get used to it and eventually I think (I hope) she will take to it. I'm going to research the Nubby 3-1 bottle/sippy cup mentioned. It sounds like it might help her transition because all we have ever used is the Dr Brown's bottles. :)

• Options
    My LO really liked the dr brown soft sippy or a nubby one (not sure what it's called it had hot air balloons on it)
  • Options
    We bought this one and LOVE it -- the LO is able to drink more water out of this one than any other. I like that it's glass and has a silicone nipple (no plastic touches the water of the baby's lips). We also have some Tommy Tippees that are OK but this is — by far — our fave. 

• Options
    My little one drinks when I hold it for her. But she doesn't know how to hold the cup on her own and tilt it to get the water out.
  • Options
    My LO has been using sippy cups at lunch time when i spoon feed her. She is ok with it
  • Options
    Yeah. I have the cheap "take and toss" sippy cup, and he immediately figured out to hold the handles and put the spout in his mouth. But the he tries to suck. Tilting it up seems beyond him right now! If I let him have it while reclining in my lap though he can drink on his own. But he spits a lot of the water out so we get a little wet. :-)
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Question for @teaismCAgal, you said you really like the green sprouts sippy cup and that it is glass. So it must be the type of glass that doesn't break easily? I'm looking at various sippy cups right now and am interested in the one you mentioned but the one plastic one we have and have given our LO she bangs and drops that thing so much. Mainly because she has no clue what to do with it. You are not concerned with a glass one breaking?

• Options
    @vrae0606 - It's an awesome design, the interior is glass and the exterior has a protective plastic. Our LO has yet to throw it, but my guess is that it would be able to withstand throws as long as they weren't from a really high distance. We also use glass bottles, so I don't think this sippy cup is any more likely to break than our glass bottles. But that's just me b/c I'm not a fan of LO consuming so much plastic. 
  • Options
    Ahh gotcha! I'll have to check it out then. Thanks!
  • Options
    For those who are interested in using glass sippy cups, try the stainless steel ones instead. My LO has a stainless steel one (a little pricy) and it's great. Atleast if she throws it, which she loves doing with everything right now, atleast I'll have peace of mind it won't break
  • Options
    My daughter chews on the spout.
  • Options
    diz1313diz1313 member
    edited August 2015
    I've heard doing straw cups instead of sippy cups is prefereable by speach and such therapists. Anyone heard that or have any thoughts on it?
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Yes. I started giving my daughter the Nuby 3 in 1 with the first nipple as a tradition and she didn't like that one much so we bought her the other sippy cups with a spill proof nipple I think it is also Nuby. It comes in a pair. She loves that one so much more. I give her nursery water with her food and breast milk alone. Definitely try them out and just see which one works for your little one.
  • Options
    Last night we skype with LO's aunt, who is a speech therapist and she told us we shouldn't use a sippy cup. We just got a camelback kids water bottle with a straw as a gift so I guess he'll be using that! He also can drink from a cup, but that's very messy!
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    i have this sippy cup and love it!  It took a few times for my son to figure out how to get it to work, but has it down like a champ now

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker