Trying to Get Pregnant

Hello ladies!!

I have been lurking around the discussion boards for a little while now and I figured it is time to say hello! My DH and I have decided we would like to start TTC and we have our first OB appointment next week!!
I was wondering if there are any questions you forgot to ask or wish you had asked your OB at the start of your TTC journey? Thank you in advance and I look forward to many discussions with you all!

Re: Hello ladies!!

• BabyIntegersBabyIntegers member
    edited July 2015
    I don't wish I had asked my OB anything TTC related. However, I do wish I had asked my RE to explain everything about TTC to me (I plan on going back to her now that I can have a serious discussion about it all). I learned on my own with much research though. You really only need an OB to get your regular pelvic exam and pap smear, imho.

Welcome. I hope you get a sticky bean soon! 
  • Welcome! I never talked to my OB prior to TTC - learned everything from TCOYF, fertility friend and this board :) If DH and I are still trying after a year, I will be finding an RE, but until then it will be charting and BD time. Good luck and hopefully your stay on this board is short.
    me 30; DH 35
    TTC since May 2014.
    Aug 2014 BFP, EDD April 22, 2015. Low progesterone, started suppositories. Loss at 5w6d.
    Nov 19, 2015 BFP at 13 dpo, EDD July 29, 2016. MMC discovered 12/29 (9+4). Natural miscarriage 1/16 (12+1).
    AMH results 0.42, 1.2; FSH 12.1, AFC 10, dx DOR. 
    RPL testing results normal. Nurse recommended progesterone suppositories in TWW.
    Clomid + trigger + TI cycle August 2016 - failed. Thin lining.
    Femara + trigger + TI cycle December 2016 - failed. Thin lining.
    Short LP (8 days).
    Acupuncture & Chinese herbs starting January 2017, lengthened LP to 10 days 

Summer 2016 LFAF awards: 

Winter 2016/2017 LFAF awards:

• Loading the player...
  • Hello and good luck! The only thing I would think about asking this time around is a timeline for tests and appointments. Every OB seems to be different in when they do ultrasounds, if or when they do bloodwork to monitor hcg levels, etc. Just for your peace of mind, knowing that timeline might be helpful.
    DS Maxwell - 08/25/2009
    Wedded Bliss - 05/19/15
    MC - 05/15/15 & 7/29/15 & 11/25/15 (You were wished for, hoped for and loved)
    BFP#4; EDD 10/21/16 - Praying for a miracle.

• When I went for my annual, I told my OB I was thinking about stopping my BCPs.  We talked about upping my anti-depressants (I have PMDD) and I walked out with some PNV.  She said she hoped she heard from me soon.  That was about it.  We did talk about what to expect hormonally and about my expectations for being off BCPs but that was really more about me and less TTC.
  • Ob's don't always say much when it comes to ttc. I worked with many providers who would just say make sure your bmi is a little lower if you need to lose weight and start taking prenatals. I think TB is way more informative when it comes to what I should do bc there are people going through the same thing so they give accurate and relatable advice not just opinions. Good luck on your journey hope it's short!
  • Hello! I didn't really have a lot of questions for them. Best of luck to you!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    🌈  Preemie 2016  🌈
    ♥ Stillborn 2015 

• Thank you to everyone who has responded!
  • I told my OB we were planning for TTC at the end of the summer and she recommended prenatals. My general practitioner though had more to say! Below is a list of things I had to review or educate myself on:

1. Vaccinations. We reviewed my history and arranged for boosters to be taken. She also advised that I start taking a flu vaccine, when needed, while trying. This was hands down the most important thing I walked away with.
    2. Current Medications. Some things aren't great for pregnancy so we talked about alternatives.
    3. Bloodwork. We tested for the usual stuff as well as immunities and illnesses. If anything it was to create a "baseline."
    4. Weight, Diet & Exercise. I'm a vegetarian, yet a little overweight so we talked about losing weight prior to pregnancy and then getting appropriate nutrients.