December 2014 Moms

Any other LOs not quite ready for textured food?

Just curious if any other LOs out there are slow to take to textured foods like puffs, cheerios, yogurt melts, etc? My LO is 6 1/2 months. I know every baby is different so I'm not concerned or anything but just thought I'd see where other babies are at food wise. She likes her pureed foods we have tried so far and her rice cereal but just isn't interested in the "hard" foods. She watches us like a hawk when we eat so I have a feeling it won't be long before she gets the concept and takes to them. She sticks everything she can get her hands on into her mouth to chew on so I was surprised she didn't take to the puffs or yogurt melts. I want to try giving her peanut butter but wondering if I should wait on that until she likes thicker textured stuff more.

What do your LOs love and not love right now? :)

Re: Any other LOs not quite ready for textured food?

• I thought textured foods were for around 8mos?
  • I looked it up because I know nothing about different textures for different ages (so lost and confused lol) and based on what I read, yes closer to 8 months for textured. Right now should be puréed foods. So give your little one more time.
  • Loading the player...
  • Well I think every pediatrician recommends different things. Ours gave the go ahead for puffs, yogurt melts etc. And my SIL has been giving her LO stuff like that since she was about 6 months too and her LO has taken to all the stuff! But like I said I know every baby is different. Definitely not trying to push anything on mine. I think I'll just keep giving her a couple of puffs from time to time so she can get used to grabbing food.
  • at 6 months, my pedi gave the go ahead for solids actually and thicker mashes.  She says growing research indicates we need to encourage babies to learn to 'chew'.  I have to agree that my 6 mo old DD much prefers soft solids and the chunky purees to the liquid.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

• Our pediatrician told us he's ready for 'finger foods' when he can grasp them between his fingers. He's 7 months and still on purees.  
  • We are doing "baby led weaning." He absolutely refuses anything from a spoon, but loves feeding himself!
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • So @damerida, how old is your LO? Just curious. My LO is totally opposite of yours. She loves being fed with a spoon but has no clue how to feed herself. But maybe that is because I started with puree's and spoon feeding first? Obviously, I did not do the BLW method ;)

I've actually put a puff in her mouth and she just spit it out and gave me this look like "BLECH". Ha! She did just this past weekend pick up a puff and try to put it in her mouth but didn't quite get it there because she had it in her fist more than her fingers. So, she is showing some signs of getting the concept of feeding herself. Yay!
  • It works best with big pieces. He is 28 weeks. He is a handful at dinner time, and whenever we are eating. He's pretty quick with trying to grab food for himself! So it could be something that's good for him but not other babies. He pretty much will "eat" anything I do. He doesn't actually swallow much, but he loves figuring out how to pick it up, and then moves it around his mouth. A lot of things he eventually spits out at this stage. We actually went to a nice Italoan restaurant over the weekend. He loved the broccolini! Also had cooked carrots, mashed potatoes, and some chicken! Keeps him busy for at least 45 minutes a meal so we got a nice dinner. The hardest part is not making a huge mess!
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Also, he already has two teeth and is working on the third, but I'm told teeth aren't necessary. He really likes using them though! This morning he was holding watermelon and just gnawing away. He was a happy, sticky baby!
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • My LO can eat the rice crackers that dissolve and can pick up shredded cheese and feed herself but when I try small pieces of avocado she gags and throws up a bit :( not there yet I guess
  • My LO just turned 7 months. We are still on Formula with pureed foods. I felt like we should increase the pureed stuff and start with some finger foods but was nervous about her lack of teeth. Everyone keeps saying the puffs are good. I'm a FTM so i'm a bit lost on this as well. I planned to call my pedi though to get some insight.