March 2016 Moms

Nausea - what to do?

So, since nausea is already kicking in for some of us and will follow soon for lots of others (but some escape! lucky you!), I thought we should collect advice here. Maybe ask the good Bump people to make it sticky?

What tips have you heard? What worked for you, what didn't? Any questions on nausea? Share, share, share!

BFP #1: Nov. '12 - Bunny born in July '13
BFP #2: July '15 - Goodbye, Kitty

Benched.

Re: Nausea - what to do?

• Loading the player...
  • Everything Rabbit said. If that doesn't work, you can ask your OB for Zofran. The downside to that is that it can cause constipation (which you'll also get later in pregnancy, sucks).

I had m/s from 5 weeks to 20 weeks and threw up damn near every day. It was awful. Around 18 weeks a new OB I saw recommended taking Unisom/B6 and it was the ONLY thing that worked for me.

• Saltines were a life saver with my first. I kept some everywhere around the house.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

BabyFetus Ticker

Me: 25, DH: 28
    Married: July 2012
    DS: December 2013 
    TTC #2 since July 2014 
    M/C: March 2015 
    My Ovulation Chart
  • edited July 2015
    Last time I drank morning wellness tea (ginger) and it helped. I've heard good things about nux vomica, but I don't have first hand experience with it. I'm going to try it this time.

Edit because typing is hard
    *TTC since July 2010
    *BFP #1- 11/12/12, m/c 11/16/12 @ 6 weeks
    *BFP #2- 1/23/13 EDD 10/4/13  

*Emma Rose: 10/8/13

*BFP #3- EDD 03/9/16

March '16 December Siggy Challenge- Favorite Christmas Movie/Quote
  • My miracle cure for my second pregnancy was the Unisom/B6 pair.  The Unisom has to be the doxylamine succinate (25 mg/dose) - start with 1/2 a tab and work up to a full one if needed.  And B6 is 50-100mg.  Thankfully the nausea has been tolerable this go around but I'm about to pick up my just-in-case meds.  (And FYI if that stops working, there is no shame in using Zofran - just ask your OB/Midwife for a prescription).  Other things that have worked for me are salt and vinegar chips and jolly ranchers.  Good luck!
    DS1 - 9/21/11
    DS2 - 7/4/14
    DS3 - 2/21/16
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Our family of 5 is complete!!  Love our boys!

• Ditto the coffee beans/grounds. 

Early in my last pregnancy I used sour candies and crackers before getting out of bed, but ultimately the morning sickness progressed to throwing up after nearly every meal and I felt terrible. Zofran was a lifesaver - but oh, the constipation. Awful.
  • jess9802 said:
    Ditto the coffee beans/grounds. 

Early in my last pregnancy I used sour candies and crackers before getting out of bed, but ultimately the morning sickness progressed to throwing up after nearly every meal and I felt terrible. Zofran was a lifesaver - but oh, the constipation. Awful.
    If you find yourself on Zofran, definitely use a stool softener.  Major life saver (the constipation resulted in more nausea).
    DS1 - 9/21/11
    DS2 - 7/4/14
    DS3 - 2/21/16
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Lemon drops, mint tea, ginger tea and a lot of bland foods
    imageimageimage
    LFAF September Siggy Challenge

• Gk2688Gk2688 member
    My nausea is getting worse by the day (week6)
  • Gk2688Gk2688 member
    edited July 2015
  • Ginger, ginger, ginger. I HATED the stuff but with my first I live off ginger ale, ginger gum, ginger candy. Anything with ginger was getting put to use. This time so far it just seems as though I constantly need SOMETHING in my stomach...difficult to do while working but I find those PB crackers are a great quick fix (and I like to think they are better than chips, since we sell both at work I go for crackers lol)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Eat small amounts of food throughout the day, including protein. I used to do peanut butter crackers or PB on a toasted bagel. Drink lots of water. Rest. Peppermint suckers or ginger chews (Trader Joe's sells them) can help settle your tummy. 
    Met DH - Aug 2001 :: Married - Jan 2010 :: DD born - Sept 2012

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • With my first I was never sick, but always nauseated. I lived on lemon everything. It was the only thing that helped.

Also, take your prenatal vitamins at night with food. The only time I threw up was when I took one in the morning and didn't eat fast enough.
  • Just got my bag of salt and vinegar chips :)
    DS1 - 9/21/11
    DS2 - 7/4/14
    DS3 - 2/21/16
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• I had the worst sick feeling yesterday ... All day. And it finally clicked that my prenatals were making me feel awful. Take them on a full stomach!!!
  • I have this ginger and mint tea called Queeze Ease I found a while back. It tastes really good, to me at least but then I like ginger and mint. It works for me.
  • I have been downing the firey ginger beer.... its a Jamaican drink that is also big in the UK (large population)...

I have only been craving fruit and meat so I don't feel bad getting the full sugar made one and having a glass here and there.  There is no caffeine and I would rather have a little real sugar than synthetic substitutes. 
  • Preggy pops work for me! I tried everything in the book during my last pregnancy, even Zofran, but Preggy pops were all that worked. Morning sickness has already kicked in big time for me. Flu like feeling all.day.long.
  • Has anyone been prescribed phenergan before? My doctor prescribed it for me, but it's class C so I'm kinda nervous...
  • So FYI... I was at IKEA "NOT" shopping for baby things (I resisted!) and I found these awesome pop makers.  Are a lot easier in my freezer then the typical popsicle forms that have to be right side up.  I plan on doing some fruit/yogurt  and electrolyte ones to get me through when its too hot to eat.

• I've been doing acupuncture since even before I was pregnant and so far, just a little sour stomach every once in a while.  Nothing major.  I've read acupuncture can help with morning sickness.
    BabyFetus Ticker
    BFP 6/16/13 ~ EDD 2/22/14 ~ CP 6/20/13 @ 4W3D
    BFP 1/1/14 ~ EDD 9/6/14 ~ CP 1/4/14 @ 4W2D
    BFP 6/24/15 ~ EDD 3/6/16 ~ Here's hoping 3rd time is a charm!
  • Has anyone found that lemon lime Gatorade helps? I have never bought that flavor my whole life, but in the last two days I have made a trip to the store just to buy this flavor. It's full of sugar, but it seems to help my stomach a bit.
  • I did the B6 and Unisom that others had mentioned with my other pregnancies. That at least took the edge off. Other than that, just eat/drink what sounds good to you WHEN it sounds good to you. Hopefully we'll all be on the other side of this by 2nd tri. :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @BumpAdmin - can we make this sticky, please?

BFP #1: Nov. '12 - Bunny born in July '13
    BFP #2: July '15 - Goodbye, Kitty

Benched.

• lawrightlawright member
    edited July 2015
    I took phenergan for a week in my last pg. It's in the same class of drugs as benedryl. I slept through week 5 of my first pg because of it (and then switched to Zofran.) It's been used for over 50 years and is extremely safe.
  • I wanted to come here and recommend Preggie Pops. I've had severe nausea every day all day long since Thursday. Preggie Pops are working for me right now, but obviously I can't eat them all day long :( For one, they've got too much sugar, and for two, they're kinda expensive- you get 21 for ~$6 on Amazon. I'm wondering if Jolly Ranchers would work just as well? That's what they taste like.

There's still the sugar problem so I think I'm going to ask OB for Zofran. I haven't had my first visit with them yet so I don't know if they will prescribe it or make me wait for my appointment, which isn't for 2 more weeks. I'm miserable though.
  • I forget this every time but if I don't eat protein every 2-3 hours while I'm awake, I get so stinkin' nauseous. I was feeling awful this morning and went and grabbed an egg/cheese breakfast sandwich and within 10 minutes I felt better. I know it feels counter-intuitive to eat when you feel like barfing, but your body is trying to tell you something. Your baby needs you to be nourished.
    DS1 - 9/21/11
    DS2 - 7/4/14
    DS3 - 2/21/16
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• If it's really bad, you can get a pregnancy related nausea medication. I used diclectin and it worked great. But it's a proactive medication, so you continuously take it until your prescription runs out. It's not a proactive like gravol ... Which is not pregnancy friendly. If you can survive... Ginger everything! Lots of water and eating small meals more often. Also, trader joes has this ginger thin cracker/cookies that work wonders. Oh! And ginger mints, also from trader joes
  • A good tip if your prenatal makes you feel sick, take it right before you go to bed. I do this with any vitamins I take as they all make me sick if I am awake 
    Anniversary

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

MMC 8/11/15

imageimageimage
  • megzee91megzee91 member
    edited July 2015
    Saltines and "preggie pops" lollipops have helped me. I also picked up some morning wellness tea by Earth Mama Angel Baby since my cousin swears by it and this is her 5th pregnancy.

Edit for spelling

BabyFruit Ticker 

BabyFetus Ticker

• Has anyone found that lemon lime Gatorade helps? I have never bought that flavor my whole life, but in the last two days I have made a trip to the store just to buy this flavor. It's full of sugar, but it seems to help my stomach a bit.

Lemon-Lime Gatorade helps me too! I'm currently 6w2d and NOTHING sounds good and the thought of eating makes me sick. That has been the one thing which has helped me. I want to try ginger ale but that doesn't sound good at all right now either... I'm hoping this doesn't last too much longer!

• lightroxlightrox member
    edited July 2015
    I keep ginger snaps and ginger ale next to my bed with two boys but with this one I take my prenatals which have ginger in them and a digestive aide and I haven't gotten sick yet. Unison and B6 are what my OB recommends.

Edit: because words are hard
  • I was just feeling sick during the night (taking my prenatals right before bed), but today the nausea never ended. I feel somewhat hungry but the thought of any specific food makes me gag. Ginger ale and ale 8 (any other ale 8 lovers out there??) have been the only relief for me today. I'm wondering if this is all from the prenatals, or if the ms has started.
  • The second I saw the word nausea, I had to come see all your advice!

With my first pregnancy I felt pretty gross most of the day, but nothing too major, and I wouldn't even say it was a nauseous feeling... more like a constant fog. This pregnancy, on the other hand, is kicking my butt. :( I am 7 weeks today and starting last Friday I have felt SO nauseous on and off all the time, and get hit with waves of dizziness as well. That, on top of the fatigue and chasing a 2 year old is horrendous. It sucks SO much!

Literally just made a list of all your suggestions. THANK YOU!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • eec129eec129 member
    I take unisom at night, eat lots of small meals (mostly carbs) through out the day, and suck on lemonheads and preggy pops. I noticed I get a little sicker during the day while I'm in front of my computer, so I try to get up and take short walks when I can.
    DD: 1/8/12
    DS: 3/12/14

Pregnancy Ticker
  • roo1ooroo1oo member
    edited July 2015
    Taking unisom tabs at night has really done the trick for me. I was nauseous all day about a week and a half ago and only have some slight breakthrough nausea in the evenings now. I'm still taking B6 but didn't notice it helping at all. FYI diclectin is available in Canada and is basically a Unisom Tab/B6 combo that you can take throughout the day. In the US it JUST came back on the market under a different name. But you can get the same active ingredients OTC by getting Unisom Tabs (NOT the gel caps or anything else, it has to be Unisom Tabs, they all have different active ingredients), splitting them in half, and taking with 25mg of B6. Diclectin is actually 10 mg of each B6 and Unisom. 

Legal note - Of course, talk to your doctor before doing this. 
    image    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Unisom/B6 isn't working this time for me so I called the midwife and she's hooking me up with Zofran for the bad days. 
    DS1 - 9/21/11
    DS2 - 7/4/14
    DS3 - 2/21/16
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~