Baby Names

Mara for a girl

SovvySovvy member
edited July 2015 in Baby Names
considering the biblical meaning of Mara would you consider it as a name choice for a girl? ETA we are NOT religious in any way and had no idea the meaning until I googled. Is this a common bit of info? Would it sway you?

from nameberry: Mara is the evocative ancient root of Mary, appearing in the Book of Ruth, in which Naomi, devastated after the birth of her two sons, says "Call me not Naomi, call me Mara." 

pregnancy #1 :: daughter lost to chromosomal abnormality at 18 weeks
pregnancy #2 :: son, born Aug 2011
pregnancy #3 :: due Jan 2016

Re: Mara for a girl

• Loading the player...
  • nurse714 said:

Naomi wasn't devastated over the birth of her two sons, she was devastated over the death of her husband and two sons and no longer wanted to be called Naomi and said to call her Mara instead because God made her bitter.  I'm religious, so it's common info to me and I wouldn't be able to use the name. You have to decide if it bothers you or not.

This.

Also I used to work with a Mara RN. While she was nice, people would trip on her name.
  • My sister's name is Mara and my family isn't mega religious but we all went to Sunday school as kids and it never bothered anyone. I don't see how you would want to avoid a name used in a book you don't read often lol like not to offend anyone, but if the bible doesn't mean much to you why would you let it influence your name choice? My sister has never had anyone mention to her any negative connotation from her name, I asked her about it and she said no one has ever said anything. I think it's a really pretty name and I wouldn't let some bible thing that not many people are super familiar with affect your decision :)
  • I live in a semi small town in the Midwest (about 12,000 people) and I swear everyone here are huge church goers and it's never been an issue for my sister or either of my parents for choosing that name. I also know a couple other maras in the area, just a few cuz it's not super common but it's not something that's really frowned upon or anything :)
  • SovvySovvy member
    The name itself doesn't bother me, nor does the meaning. I suppose I phrased my question poorly. What I meant to ask is this:

Is the biblical meaning of Mara commonly known? For example, I can't see Cane or Malachi without knowing their story from the bible, and I'm not religious in the slightest. Is Mara a name that would give those who have more knowledge than I do a reason to pause?

• I'm a practicing catholic - no issues or associations w Mara.
  • I don't think it's commonly known. I'm no biblical scholar, but attend church regularly and wouldn't have known the story. It also isn't a horrible connotation, just a woman devastated over the loss of her family. Not the same as naming your child after someone evil/sinister, like Cain or Judah.
  • SovvySovvy member
    Thanks for your input, @mamawren919 @hannahkay8515 and @dannylion24

• I love that name. My friend is named Mara. I didn't know that it was a biblical name. You learn something new everyday!
  • I had no idea it was biblical. I automatically thought of Mara Wilson, the child actress in Mrs. Doubtfire and Matilda. I think it's cute!
    Married 10/4/2014 (10-4, good buddy!)
    Baby Boy #1 born 1/9/17
    Baby Boy #2 EDD 11/4/18
    "It's when you know you're licked before you begin, but you begin anyway and see it through no matter what.  You rarely win, but sometimes you do."  -Atticus Finch, To Kill A Mockingbird

• I think it is a beautiful name and I wouldn't assume it is religious (just like I would never assume someone named their son Joseph for religious reasons)
  • Not religious, but I know my Bible, and Mara didn't ring a bell. How about Maren if it really bothers you? 

BFP #1: Nov. '12 - Bunny born in July '13
    BFP #2: July '15 - Goodbye, Kitty

Benched.

• I've always thought Mara was pretty, but always ruled it out because of the meaning!
  • nurse714 said:
    Naomi wasn't devastated over the birth of her two sons, she was devastated over the death of her husband and two sons and no longer wanted to be called Naomi and said to call her Mara instead because God made her bitter.  I'm religious, so it's common info to me and I wouldn't be able to use the name. You have to decide if it bothers you or not.
    Yes to this. I am familiar with the story as well and would not be able to use Mara because of it. However I don't think it's that commonly known.
    Anniversary 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • mattandloramattandlora member
    edited July 2015
    I consider myself fairly religious and didn't know the connection to Mara. However, I DID know that Mary also means "bitter," and that was the #1 girls name for decades. I think that is evidence enough that the general public is ok with it.

Edit: my phone's autocorrect kept insisting we were talking about Mars

**siggy warning**

Current Age 35, DH 33

Married 9/2011

BFP 8/2012, Miscarried 9/2012

BFP 9/2012, DS 6/2013

BFP 6/2014, Miscarried 7/2014

BFP 7/2014, DD 4/2015

• LNic5LNic5 member
    I wouldn't have made the connection and assume a lot wouldn't. I think it's an ok name, it's not my style but it's not common which is nice