Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Options

at how many weeks/months were you able to stop holding for naps? pls share!

desperate mama over here with a 4 week old who i have to hold all ay for naps :(
if your LO would only nap in your arms to take naps longer than 30-40 minutes, at how many weeks/months were you able to put them down for longer naps on their own? tia!

Re: at how many weeks/months were you able to stop holding for naps? pls share!

• Options
    My LO would wake up after a few minutes if I left his side or if he weren't in my lap or carrier. He started to be OK sleeping on his own at the 3 month mark for 30 mins up to 2 hrs. Then a week later he went into a growth spurt and stopped napping on his own. After another 2 weeks, he is just getting comfortable staying asleep alone.

With DS, I find that when he wakes up crying 15-30 mins into the nap, it is often because he needs to pee (we EC) or needs a diaper change. I try to get him back to sleep in these instances.

It's not great but can you try having your LO nap in a carrier? Hang in there! It does get better.
  • Options
    4 weeks is still really young. I wish I could tell you when his pattern week change, but every baby is different. My nephew always napped solo. My son is five months and still prefers to nap with a naked boob between his fists. We both practice attachment parenting, so the difference is in the babes, not the parenting style.

Baby wearing is great advice!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

4 weeks is super young and my first child needed to sleep on me a lot for the first month or so. Eventually I tried other things like the swing, vibrating seat, Boppy newborn lounger, etc. All of those things worked for my second child as well.

• Options
    My son was the same way. Probably around 6 weeks old he started to allow me to put him down to nap. He still falls asleep in my arms though before I can lay him down. 
  • Options
    RubyEggi said:

desperate mama over here with a 4 week old who i have to hold all ay for naps :(

if your LO would only nap in your arms to take naps longer than 30-40 minutes, at how many weeks/months were you able to put them down for longer naps on their own? tia!
    My Barnacles didn't allow this until around 16 to 20 months old. My almost 2 year old still prefers human contact to drift off unless he is in his car seat. My four year old started putting herself for a nap (unaided) around 3 years old.

However, it's all completely individual. As your child grows you will learn her individual needs. Moms have all these "things that must get done"... They lose sight of the real priorities. Take the nap time of holding your child to enjoy them.

I used to read (or bum on the internet) during "nap jail". Truly, you'll always have dishes, laundry etc. that doesn't go away but the babies grow up & you don't get this time back.

I have always believed that you can't spoil a child (even a toddler) with your physical affection. There are all these societal expectations that "babies should be able to X, Y or Z by a certain month" . I threw it all out the window & parented according to my own kids' preferences & needs.

At 4 weeks old wanting to be held is not abnormal & for secure attachment-- should be expected.

So, my advice? Roll with it.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    erin79erin79 member
    Have you tried swaddling?  4 weeks is still so young, and the comfort of the swaddle will really help them sleep.  Make sure you swaddle tightly, so they can't free their arms.  Babywearing is also awesome.  At that age, my DD would sleep for 3 hours in the Sleepy Wrap.
  • Options
    I agree on swaddling. Also try a sound machine. But don't worry, I know it's hard because mine was the same way, but they go through phases and change weekly.
  • Options
    DD is 3.5 months and will wake up after 10
    Mins if I'm not holding or wearing her. I'm busy with my two big kids so most of her naps are in the Ergo. I'm just rolling with it. I would rather her be able to sleep in the carrier so we are not stuck in the house for nap times.
    S- March 09 E- Feb 12 L- May 15

• Options
    LO is 2 months and naps on me. I can get her into the bassinet for the first two sleep cycles at night, but otherwise she only sleeps on top of me. In 3 weeks I have to go back to work, so I'm secretly hoping daycare will get her napping on her own...they're only allowed to sleep at daycare if they're in a crib, so it's either that or she won't sleep. I'm hoping the professionals can make sleep happen.

I'm a sucker though, so I'll probably still let her sleep on me on weekends for naps for a little while...I'm sure I'll miss the snuggles when I'm at work all day.