Breastfeeding
Options

Going insane!

I was able to BF at birth and had no complications. For the first week or so he woke up to feed the normal 2-3 hours. But it seems like a couple days after being circumcised his pattern changed. And then the 10 day old cluster feeding started. He hasn't been the same since. He feeds anywhere from 5 to 20+ minutes, falls asleep but when I put him down he wakes up screaming in less then 5 minutes. I try to let him soothe himself back to sleep, also because I need to eat, get dressed, etc but it doesn't work. He feeds haphazardly until falling asleep again, repeating the cycle. I don't know what to do. SO feels I should use sample bottles we received to fill him up. I don't really want to introduce a bottle (breast milk or formula) just yet. I'm tired of crying, feeling like a failure and I can't stand hearing him cry/scream, but I need to find both of our sanity. Any advice?

Re: Going insane!

• Options
    Can you try pumping, then supplement with your own milk if he's inefficient at the breast? He may just need to grow some to get better at nursing. By introducing the bottle, you do risk nipple confusion, but in my case it was no problem at all - my 7 week old happily switches back and forth...
  • Options
    bunnyabunnya member
    edited July 2015
    Try keeping him awake while he feeds to make sure he gets enough at each session. Feed him undressed, tickle his feet, use a damp face cloth, anything that will keep him awake the full session it takes to fill him. I second PP. You can pump and give him a bottle. I've heard nipple confusion isn't as common as we think. Mine didn't have a problem going from breast to bottle multiple times a day when she was a week and a half and wasn't gaining weight fast enough. Also if you are going to pump this early be sure not to pump too much more than what your lo needs as it can cause an oversupply. GL

Edit: Also if you do give a bottle be sure to use the slowest flowing nipple so the bottle flow mimics breast flow. If you use a fast flow then lo may start preferring bottle over breast which can make breastfeeding difficult.
    Me 26 DH 31. Off oral contraception since 1/2012. Actively TTC # 1 since 4/2012. CD3 bloodwork, hsg normal 6/2013. SA performed 7/2013 - low count, low motility. First RE appointment 9/4/2013. Were told SA not good enough for IUI. Repeat SA and additional bloodwork ordered. RE suggests DH see a urologist. http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/3e32d9/thumb.png
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    wintersongwintersong member
    edited July 2015
    His old is your lo? We are talking a few weeks, right? He is incapable of soothing himself to sleep yet.

My first thought is to suggest baby wearing.

A few questions:
    - How old is he?
    - Does he eat like this all day, our way certain times?
    - how many wet and poopy disagrees per day?

I would not supplement with a bottle unless you had reason to believe he is not gaining well. Sometimes babies just like to be held...

ETA sorry, my phone won't let me change the typo. Disagrees is diapers.
    BabyFruit Ticker