February 2016 Moms
Options

Hormonal Acne... Help!

BabyB5512BabyB5512 member
edited July 2015 in February 2016 Moms
In the past week and 1/2 my chin went from clear to covered in every type of blemish possible. I just want to hide under a rock. I'm trying to stay natural and not use over the counter products that have benzoyl peroxide or salicylic acid. I started using Aztec clay combined with apple cider vinegar as a mask, as well as apple cider vinegar as spot treatment. It is somewhat working, drying it out a little, but isn't nearly as effective as I'd like. Any suggestions from someone who has experienced or is experiencing a similar problem? Help!

Re: Hormonal Acne... Help!

• Options
    TegzyTegzy member
    I work on pregnant ladies at work constantly and unfortunately hormones just be crazy and generally if you're not going to use topical gels or treatments it will come good with time and once you've given birth most of the time your skin settles down....

I've had problem skin my whole life and it sucks I know how you feel :( it sucks, makeup can only cover so much.

i maintain a very strict skincare routine and i do use a salicylic acid scrub but it's very mild...i know it's considered a no no but it also depends on how much you use and how often...but again that is a decision I made for me I don't go recommending for others.

It's a good idea to try out different facials with different skincare brands and see whether any resonate with you...we use a French organic skincare line called Phyts at work which is 100% safe for baby and I am in love with it...my skin loves it! :)
  • Options
    starsinnightstarsinnight member
    edited July 2015
    I would also recommend not trying out too many new products now (perhaps just one or 2) to prevent any irritation. I have sensitive skin with rosacea & acne flare ups, which happened last week in my 5th week a bunch of breakouts.

I cleared it all up by using my standard Aveeno calming face wash & witch hazel once a week as a natural astringent. I finish with Argan oil or a natural face oil to moisturize. Hope this helps! Also, try not to scrub or do face masks more than 2-3 times a week.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    TegzyTegzy member
    Best to also use witch hazel sparingly..its quite astringent and definitely dries the skin out...make sure to follow with a good moisturiser to combat the dryness :) sometimes when you dry the skin out too much it will cause excess oil flow...thus can cause more blocked pores and...yeah can lead to more breakouts :/

What you can do is mix a little witch hazel with some floral waters such as rose or chamomile water which aids in soothing and healing the skin without over drying :) can make some great toners that way!
  • Options
    Yes I forgot to say that! I only use the witch hazel once a week or so! I also have an Acure organic toner spray that is more gentler than I use almost daily. Thanks for that! Don't want her skin to get worse or too dry!
  • Options
    I also once made a turmeric, honey, & milk mask that really helped calm redness which I'm not sure if that's also a problem for you. But if so, it worked wonders! I'd just google homemade turmeric face masks.
  • Options
    TegzyTegzy member
    Stars that sounds like an awesome mask! :)

Another oil I forgot to mention which really isn't well known at all but I did a bit of research into a while back is Tamanu oil...great for acne, stretchmarks, scars ect...a very healing oil which I'll Def. be using on my belly and possibly my face if i start breaking out! It's worth looking into!!! :)
  • Options
    I had the same thing just happen and went and got a professional facial, I let them know I was pregnant so she wouldn't use anything too harsh. It was two days ago now and I notice I still have dark spots but the pimples have gone down so much. I can easily cover with concealer now.

Feb '16 Siggy Challenge: Favorite Thing About Fall: Haunted Houses and Scary Movies! 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    LMMamaLMMama member
    I was just raging over my new acne this morning. It's awful! I've read that applying a baking soda and Epsom salt mask sparingly can be effective. I know that will seriously dry out the skin if used too much but it has helped me in the past. I've also tried the apple cider vinegar astringent as well and it kind of worked. So frustrating!
  • Options
    Oh, witch hazel! I don't just get pimples, I get big gross cysts. A little witch hazel would go a long way to drying those suckers out. Thanks!
  • Options
    I actually already have some Tamanu oil because I had also read it helped with acne scars. Didn't know it also helped with acne too. Thanks!
  • Options
    I love using my clarisonic brush. I feel like I get a more thorough cleaning from it. My issue is body acne (chest and back), so I have a handle attachment that makes it easier to use on your body. I tried using an oil (I can't remember which one but it's great for your hair) and it caused cystic acne for me after just two days of using it, so I stopped and switched to coconut oil which I love for my face.

Married.....09/08/2012
    Baby F.......02/02/2016
  • Options
    I use a clarisonic too.. but I've found that a paste of baking soda and lemon juice on my face for 10 mins or so a few times a week really makes a huge difference. I switched to Younique cleanser because it's all natural and we're supposed to avoid salycilic acid during pregnancy, which is common in a lot of face washes- especially if they are formulated for acne. 

Spontaneous pregnancy #1
    DD1 July 31, 2011

Trying for #2 since Oct 11
    732973 Clomid Cycles
    2 IUIs 
    3 Fresh IVFs= 1 Ectopic treated with MTX
    Spontaneous pregnancy #2= Ectopic #2= lost left tube
    Spontaneous pregnancy #3= DD2 January 29, 2016
    Spontaneous pregnancy #4= Ectopic #3
    Spontaneous pregnancy #5= Baby #3 is a BOY!!! 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    we're supposed to avoid salycilic acid during pregnancy, which is common in a lot of face washes- especially if they are formulated for acne. 
    FWIW, my OB last time said if you're not using prescription strength or eating it, you're fine to use face wash with salicylic acid. 

KBJ-SEJ married 8.18.2012
    BMJ born 5.27.2014
    MMC 7.2.2015 @ 5w5d
    SMEJ born 6.5.2016
    BFP 6.8.2018 EDD 02.18.2019