Pregnant after a Loss

Scared.... But more ANGRY! (Long, sorry) **UPDATE, see below**

Las135Las135 member
edited July 2015 in Pregnant after a Loss

Hi everyone,

I haven't been on the bump for a while, life just got busy and I didn't have time to keep up.  So a little background.  In 2012 I had an early m/c the month before getting pregnant with my son who is now two. It was a fun pregnancy, but I was high risk due to having some abnormal bloodwork at my 12 week screening. I didn't mind the extra ultrasounds, it just meant I got to see my baby boy more.  Anyway, my husband and I weren't trying but weren't preventing either and got pregnant in January this year, I was shocked that it happened, but super excited.  Well I ended up having another m/c. 

So I find myself pregnant today, and it is a strange story.  Again, hubs and I are not doing anything to prevent, but I am also not charting or anything (charting about drove me crazy my first go around).  So 2.5 weeks ago, I had what I thought was a normal period, came on time, steady flow for 5 days with normal menstrual cramps.  After my period was over, I noticed my boobs continued to be sore and tender, which normally goes away. I also noticed that I had light pink spotting and brown discharge for a few days, and again last week.  I decided to take a pregnancy test on Saturday, and wouldn't you know... IT WAS POSITIVE!  I was shocked, and now I am a little confused.  I am wondering, is this really a pregnancy, or did I miscarry again and it is residual HCG that hasn't fallen.  My breasts are still sore, and I am still having a brownish discharge when I wipe.

So here is why I am angry... I called my OB-GYN on Monday morning at 9:00 and explained my situation (and my history). The nurse said that my doctor was on vacation and one of the other OB's or Midwife would call me back shortly.  Well 1:00pm rolls around, and no one had called me back, so I rang them again.  This nurse seemed more concerned, and asked me a lot of questions, and assured me that someone would call me right back.  Well I heard back at 5pm, and the doctor wanted me to get a beta level drawn, I knew that would be the outcome and wish I could have went earlier that day!!! The next morning (yesterday) I was at the lab at 7am, the tech was awesome, and said "we always put a rush on these, we know they are important", I loved her for her compassion.  She said my doctor would have the results by the afternoon, but I never received a call. I tried to be patient..... So, today I waited, and waited and waited.  I called at noon, and was assured again the doctor would get back to me.  I called again at 3:45 and asked if they had my results.  The receptionist said "yep, we have them, I got them right in my hand.... but the doctor hasn't signed off on them so I can't give you the results".  Okay, so have her sign off so I can stop driving myself crazy. "She left early for the day so no one is here that can give it to you, so you will have to wait till tomorrow". 

I was halfway between crying, and jumping through the phone.  I didn't know what to say, I had a knot in my throat.  The more I think about it, the more angry I get!!! Am I being ridiculous??

Thanks for reading, and I hope I get to stay for a while.

BFP#1 -3/18/12- M/C 3/31/12,
BFP#2 -4/25/12, Beta#1 17dpo= 800, Beta#2 20dpo= 3800, Ethan James born 1-5-13

BFP#3- February 2015- natural miscarriage

BFP#4- June 2015- Ruptured ectopic, severe hemorrhage and loss of left tube on 7/10/2015

BFP#5- 12/18/15

Re: Scared.... But more ANGRY! (Long, sorry) **UPDATE, see below**

• No, that sounds so frustrating! I would have been like, "Cough once If I'm pregnant."
  • Vets1Vets1 member
    That's just not fair on you! it's enough of emotional roller coaster without your Dr not helping! Hope you get an answer soon.
  • Loading the player...
  • Las135Las135 member
    They opened at 9:00 this morning.  I called again at 9:30 since I still had not heard anything, and was told the doctor was too busy and would call me back later today. Really?!?!

BFP#4- June 2015- Ruptured ectopic, severe hemorrhage and loss of left tube on 7/10/2015

BFP#5- 12/18/15

• Can you get someone else's extension? When I can't get my doctor's nurse to call me back I call another girl in the office.
  • Las135Las135 member

I called back again, and they told me the doctor left early for the day and she must have forgot to call me back. The office is closed tomorrow, but someone could call me on Monday!! I was livid, and insisted on speaking with sometime. I am glad this doctor is not my regular OBGYN, but still irritated with how my office treated me. I work in woman's health and would never treat one of my patients like this.

A few minutes later the nurse midwife called me back, and continuously apologized, and said that this was the first time she heard that I called. Anyway, my HCG was 699, which she said is low and they would expect it to be higher. So I went today for another lab draw, and wont know what exactly is going on until Monday.  Looks like a long weekend of waiting.

BFP#5- 12/18/15

• Bah! I'm sorry, it will be a long weekend. Did you get her extension? They told me not to, but I Googled my first hcg and everything on the internet said that it was low. They told me that as long as it doubles that's all that matters, though. Sending you sticky baby dust and positive thoughts all weekend!
  • I almost would have just went to the office and stared them down until someone talked to me! I hope you get good results on Monday. Maybe you are just earlier than you thought? Praying for you and baby!
  • So what were the results? Dying to know.  I hope it was good news after having to go through all of that.

First Pregnancy
    • BFP: 01/25/2015
    • EDD: 09/28/2015
    • Incomplete MC: 02/28/2015

Second Pregnancy

• BFP: 09/11/2015
    • EDD: 05/25/2016
    Baby Born
    04/15/2016

PGAL
  • Las135Las135 member
    UPDATE: I was totally right, and my doctor would not listen to me. For a week prior to this past week I was questioning them about slow rising betas, brown spotting, and cramping. When the US showed my uterus was empty despite my beta being over 1500, I had a feeling it was ectopic. I even questioned them about it, and asked if I should come in for an internal/bimanual examination. They said no, and told me get MORE bloodwork done on Friday, and we would discuss a plan on Monday. Well I never made it to Monday. I ended up in excruciating pain last Friday. I drove myself to L&D triage, and literally crawled through the door before collapsing. I had a ectopic pregnancy that ruptured, hemorrhaged into my abdominal cavity, rushed into surgery and lost my left tube. It was so scary. I was admitted throughout the weekend, and I am trying to recover physically. I am so incredibly mad at my OB-GYN. Needless to say I will be finding a new one. Trust your bodies ladies, we know ourselves better than any doctor does. I wish you all luck in your pregnancies!!

BFP#5- 12/18/15

• O.M.G. I'm so sorry that happened to you. Thank God you're O.K. and thank you for the reminder to trust our instincts!
  • Oh my gosh I am so sorry! How awful!

DD1 born 5/24/10.

Missed M/C at 14 wks Feb 2012.

DD2 born 5/14/13.

Missed M/C at 9 wks July 2015.

Expecting someone new 4/17/17.
  • Vets1Vets1 member
    That is horrible I hope your ok, & definitely find a new OB-GYN!