Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Night anxiety /SIDS

I'm a FTM and my daughter is 2 weeks old. Every night I get anxiety about sleeping. I have a terrible fear of SIDS, it's constantly on my mind and I can not relax. I'm fine during the day but a nervous mess at night. We get up every 2 hours for feedings but I'm constantly looking at her breaths and worry about heavy breathing sometimes. Anyone else feel like this?

Re: Night anxiety /SIDS

• Yes. My LO is 9 weeks and I still feel this way occasionally, however, with each night that passes, it does get slightly better!
  • Very normal for a FTM and even STM's! The anxiety could also be from your hormones being all messed up PP. Try to keep your mind occupied with something else so you don't sit and worry. It's hard to do but try. Read a book, take a bath, do anything else to ease the anxiety.
  • Loading the player...
  • Ftm here too! I'm the same. DD is 7 weeks and it's still there. But I bought a snuza and it helped a little!!
  • What's a snubs?
  • It attaches to the babies diaper and monitors movement. If it doesn't feel movement-or breathing on the tummy- after 15 seconds I believe, it vibrates on the baby and if it doesn't sense anything after a few more seconds it sets off an alarm. It also blinks bright enough to see thru clothes when it senses movement. Worth every penny!
  • Also, read about what to do to reduce risk. That way you can know in your heart you are doing what you need to do to keep your baby safe. Examples:
    - baby in room
    - sleep on back
    - no loose blankets
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I couldn't agree more the snuza is worth every penny we paid for it! Really does help put your mind at ease.
  • Glad this was posted. I'm terrified of SIDS! I couldn't imagine losing my Lo.
    We are getting a Snuza today!
    I'll keep following for other suggestions
  • Question about the Snuza.  My LO sleeps in a rock n play.  Will the motion of the vibration fool the alarm?  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • 2nd time mom. Still using the snuza. Worth every dollar to sleep better at night
  • Pacifier, a fan and breastfeeding also reduces risks I've read and one of the nurses told me that as well
  • Question about the Snuza.  My LO sleeps in a rock n play.  Will the motion of the vibration fool the alarm?  
    I worried about this, but yesterday I actually set the Snuza by itself in the RnP while it was vibrating, and the alarm went off right away.  
  • saric83 said:
    Question about the Snuza.  My LO sleeps in a rock n play.  Will the motion of the vibration fool the alarm?  
    I worried about this, but yesterday I actually set the Snuza by itself in the RnP while it was vibrating, and the alarm went off right away.  
    Thank you!
  • I'm a FTM and my daughter is 2 weeks old. Every night I get anxiety about sleeping. I have a terrible fear of SIDS, it's constantly on my mind and I can not relax. I'm fine during the day but a nervous mess at night. We get up every 2 hours for feedings but I'm constantly looking at her breaths and worry about heavy breathing sometimes. Anyone else feel like this?

I went through this & the hyper vigilance. I understand. If you can, perhaps give yourself permission to sleep knowing that your baby needs you rested as much as possible.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• I'm a Ftm, my LO is 1 week and I am constantly turning and checking on her!
  • I tortured myself with this. We had a family member who lost a baby to SIDS, so it was always on my mind. Even now, at 15 weeks, I look for her breaths. All I can say is that it eventually gets better. Do everything you can to prevent it, and then say a little prayer. I learned that there is nothing anyone can say that will make you feel any better. They also will make you angry by telling you not to worry...but shrug it off. Sometimes they don't remember how stressed out new moms are! You do your best, and your baby will, too. Babies have very strong survival instincts...they want to live as much as you want them to!
  • Where did you get the snuza
  • You can get the snuza at babies r us, and I'd imagine you could order it from them online too
  • I got mine on amazon.  It has really given me the ability to sleep much better.
  • I felt this way too for the first couple of weeks. I was obsessive. Having to be talked down by family members. I couldn't eat or sleep. I was a mess. I read and read and couldn't find any peace. It only got better with time. My LO is 3 months old now and sleeps through the night. I bought the sleep monitor thing that alerts you if baby stops breathing. Angel care! That helped me get to sleep finally. I honestly didn't think I'd ever feel better but now I can actually enjoy my life again. I think it's natural new mom worries. I thought my mind was going to SIDS for a reason and was driving myself crazy- I didn't realize EVERY mama feels this way.