High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

Low papp-a and low free beta hcg on first trimester screening

I had my first trimester screening last week. The nuchal translucensy came back normal but my papp-a and free beta hcg came back low. I am now debating having an amniocentesis done. Has anyone had this result? 

Re: Low papp-a and low free beta hcg on first trimester screening

• Options
    No, but my husband and I asked for C.V.S. because we had a loss last year. Did they offer you any of the genetic blood tests like Materna Plus? My doctor advised that first, then amnio based on those results.
  • Options
    kamio92kamio92 member
    edited July 2015
    Heya,

I had the same thing in regards to Papp-A. I'm not sure which other thing in had low numbers on.

I opted in for the amniocentesis because they were worried about Trisomy 18. It was a really hard decision to make. Amniocentesis does come with a 1/200 chance of miscarriage and my husband and I weren't sure how we'd handle things if she was a healthy baby and we lost her because of the amnio.

Scariest thing we've done. I was put on bedrest for 2 weeks because my uterus reacted so badly to the amnio and I went into preterm labour at 18 weeks. Thankfully they managed to stop it.

I'm 36 weeks now and about to be admitted to hospital. Bub is crazy healthy. They were worried with my low Papp-A and the fact that the amnio came back clear that it was my placenta causing the low numbers.

I've had growth scans every 2-4 weeks checking up on her and she's gone really really well. My placenta is slowly packing it in but I'm the trouble maker now. I've got shocking blood pressure problems and a headache that's been around for a month.

Try not to worry too much and trust your instincts. The doctors can be so full of doom and gloom but mine knew what they were doing/on about... even though I hated coming in to see them I have trusted their advice

The doctors never thought I'd make it this far. I almost can't believe that I'll be 37 weeks before I'm induced/have a cesarean. Bub could surprise you!
    [color=purple]Married July 2014[/color]
    [color=pink]First Monkey July 2015[/color]
    [color=green]Baby No2 March 2018
    ~Team Green~[/color]