September 2015 Moms
Options

To the Heartburn Club Members

I have suffered with heartburn through my entire pregnancy and made the difficult decision to tell my OB about it, despite the fact that I could usually control it with Tums. I honestly struggled with telling my doctor because I am one of those 'grin and bear it' type of people who don't like to bother the doctor with every little ache and pain. I did it though, and she told me I could take Pepcid (you do need to consult with your Doctor before taking) and I feel like a new person. I was constantly chasing the burn, and now, I head it off at the pass. I'm so glad I asked, and was so elated that I practically screamed from the rooftops that my heartburn was gone, only to be told subsequently that I must have a hairy baby. Oh well.

Re: To the Heartburn Club Members

• Options
    WDDCHWDDCH member
    Lol to the hairy baby bit! I have heard heartburn means more hair. I don't get heartburn (maybe once or twice but not persistently) and my kiddos were all bald after they lose their newborn fuzz!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    My OB has me take Zantac since the Pepcid wasn't doing enough and I feel so much now lol I feel your pain I didn't want to say anything figured it was just something I was going to deal with but it got so bad I finally mentioned it and it's amazing the difference it makes :)

Origami Owl Independent Designer 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    WDDCH said:
    Lol to the hairy baby bit! I have heard heartburn means more hair. I don't get heartburn (maybe once or twice but not persistently) and my kiddos were all bald after they lose their newborn fuzz!

I really believe in this old wives tale of Heartburn= hairy baby. With DD, my heartburn was unbelievable, truly. She was born with a full head of hair. It seems to be the same this time around.
    My mom said she suffered with heartburn when she was pg with myself but even more so when carrying my brother and he was born with long, wavy hair!
    Same goes for a number of other women I know who suffered of heartburn while pregnant, all their babies had lots of hair. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I have been on a 2 tums 3 times daily regimen from my doc, but still pretty bad. Last ultra sound the tech kept pointing out all of babies hair. It was showing up on the ultra sound!!!
  • Options
    Papaya enzyme! I was having horrible heart burn and my midwife told me about the papaya and it's been a life saver. Tastes much better than tums.
  • Options
    I've been taking Zantac too recently to help with the acid reflux ... it's horrible! That is one pregnancy symptom I can't wait to get rid of!
  • Options
    I have terrible acid reflux when not pregnant. With my first, I tried to go off Prevacid and do the Tums and Zantac. Within days I couldn't even swallow meals.
    I didn't even try to go off Prevacid this time. (Again, don't take anything without a doctor!)
    It's been 8 or 9 years since my last scope, I should probably look into that after this whole delivery thing (like I'll have time haha!)
  • Options
    Tums dont work for me and I have not tried the others. Milk always works for me so I make sure to always have some with me. I have also tracked the food that have made the heartburn worse, anything fried and oily, garlic, red sauce, spicy food, etc. I'm pretty sure this baby will be bald but everyone has told me he's probably a hairy baby haha :)
  • Options
    I must be giving birth to a very hairy baby, cause I've had unrelenting heartburn since about 12 weeks. My Grandma recommended papaya enzymes and they are magical! Not to mention they taste way better than tums and their ilk.
  • Options
    I've had go avoid one of my favorites - tomatoes - since getting acid reflux this pregnancy ... they definitely make it worse for me!
  • Options
    A more natural approach that works is taking a tbsp of white vinegar. Your heartburn will go away within 15min. I'm allergic to most antacids and vinegar does the trick for me.
  • Options
    2chihuahuas2chihuahuas member
    edited July 2015
    Zantac and I are best friends right now! My husband knows to give me one about an hour before I go to bed. Lol
  • Options
    Since this post, I've added a few more tums to tide me over until my next Pepcid. The max is 2 per day. Ugh. I'm wondering now if my baby will have hair on her ears.
  • Options
    I have fortunately only had heart burn recently and maybe it isn't too bad but eating an apple really helps me. I hear drinking a little apple cider vinegar helps too and you can water it down.
  • Options
    I wake up choking/drowning on acid reflux! It's awful and terrifying. My dr. said to chug Malox or get Pepcid. That hasn't worked and tums are the only thing to help alleviate the taste of acid once I have an episode. May have to get some prescription strength stuff next appt. I wonder how hairy my kid will be because I never had anything like this prior to pregnancy.
  • Options
    A glass of milk before bed keeps me from waking up from heartburn. I wish it would keep me asleep through Charlie horses and pee trips!
  • Options
    I'm at the point where I'm going to try sleeping on an upward recline position because when I'm laying down I wake up every 2 hrs with painful heartburn. So annoying!
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    I wake up choking too, usually around 12:30 every night. It's awesome.