Breastfeeding
Options

Menstrual cycle with breastfeeding

Are you supposed to get menstrual cycle while breastfeeding or not? I've heard that you don't get a menstrual cycle, however I'm breastfeeding and noticed my cycle started last Friday. Baby turned 6 weeks today. I also noticed breasts to be saggy, thinking that my milk production is low.

Re: Menstrual cycle with breastfeeding

• Options

My post-partum bleeding didn't stop until 5w5d with DD and 6w3d with DS. If it were me that would still be post-partum stuff and I'd call my OB if the flow was heavier. When I was concerned about production I called the hospital's lactation consultants (free) and met with La Leche group (free, membership is optional).

Is your babe gaining weight appropriately? Satisfied after BF or crying?

With DD I was EBF however she was using a pacifier and I got AF at 4.5 mo and my cycle was regular from there on out. Although I started to supplement with food at 5.5 mo and formula at 8 mo, I BF until 16 mo.

With DS I spotted at 10w (after vigorous exercise) but otherwise for this pacifier-free babe who nursed frequently, I got AF at 10 mo and my cycle was regular from 12 mo on. I started to supplement with food at 6 mo, didn't use formula, I BF until 19 mo and counting.

Unexplained IF/RPL

TTC#1 2003 BFNs, 2004-2009 imageimageimageimageimage 5 angels above

2010 IVF-PGS-FET#1, DD b. Aug-2011 image

TTC#2 2012 BFNs, 2013 FET#2, DS b. Nov-2013 image

TTC#3 2015 BFNs, FET#3 image (my 6th and last angel above)

Journey Complete.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Great pp. I would add that your boobs getting soft doesnt mean your supply is too low.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    bunnyabunnya member

Great pp. I would add that your boobs getting soft doesnt mean your supply is too low.

Exactly, supply regulates itself after 6 weeks postpartum. Just because you aren't engorged doesn't mean you aren't full.
    Also you can get your period back pretty much anytime regardless of whether you breastfeed or not.
    Me 26 DH 31. Off oral contraception since 1/2012. Actively TTC # 1 since 4/2012. CD3 bloodwork, hsg normal 6/2013. SA performed 7/2013 - low count, low motility. First RE appointment 9/4/2013. Were told SA not good enough for IUI. Repeat SA and additional bloodwork ordered. RE suggests DH see a urologist. http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/3e32d9/thumb.png
  • Options
    I mostly lurk here but had to answer this one

For some women, EBF can postpone when you get your cycles back. But everyone is different. With my first, cycles came back at 4 months (shortly after returning to work and starting to pump).

With my second, it came back at 10 weeks postpartum. I was EBF and still hadn't returned to work.

**siggy warning**

Current Age 35, DH 33

Married 9/2011

BFP 8/2012, Miscarried 9/2012

BFP 9/2012, DS 6/2013

BFP 6/2014, Miscarried 7/2014

BFP 7/2014, DD 4/2015

• Options
    Everyone is different, mine came back at 6 months pp. my supply always dropped for a day or 2 during my period
  • Options
    My cycles have come back around 6 months post partum with my first two kids (EBF), but they were 40 day cycles with light periods. Also with my first LO my bleeding totally stopped by 3 weeks post partum but then came back at 6 weeks. My midwife at my 6 week appointment told me that it's probably just leftover bleeding and not my period. She was right!

My mom EBF all 8 kids but got her normal cycles back at 6 weeks post partum.
    Baby #1 DS born August 2012
    Baby #2 DD Born January 2014
    Baby #3 ?? Due June 5 2015

• Options
    My supply was very stable until I got my period back (3 months postpartum).  I did everything I could to get my supply back, but baby started losing weight, so my doc recommended supplementing with formula.  I was also pumping a bunch trying to get as much as I could out.  At 4 months, baby got a nasty cold, and I wanted desperately to EBF, but I couldn't get more than a few ounces a day.  By 5 months we were using formula exclusively :-(

Long story short, agreed that everyone is different.  For me, my period destroyed my supply.
  • Options
    @blondekates1 so sorry :( but good to know if it happens to us not to freak out. Formula has one big advantage: lots and lots of fatty acids for good brain development. (Mom's milk has some but it varies from woman to woman.) thanks for sharing... 
  • Options
    I got my pp period at 8weeks, 10weeks and 8weeks after my 3 kids. I breastfed all 3 for several months. My supply did not get low or go away etc.