St. Louis Babies
Options

Which doctor and hospital to go with - Mercy or St. Josephs?

Hello all,

I'm having trouble choosing which OB-GYN to work with for my first pregnancy. I've been seen in the past at Mercy for pap smears and the like, always by a nurse practitioner only (who is no longer there). I went today for my first visit and had some experiences that left a bad taste in my mouth. First off, they seem SO busy all the time (the earliest they could get me in to see the doctor, Dr. Marcrander, was August 2nd - and this was when I first scheduled the appointment in early June!). As my mom says, Mercy is "the baby factory" of St. Louis, which she seems to view as a plus, but I don't want to have my baby at a factory - I want a more personalized experience. 

Also, it seems like each visit at Mercy was so split up into various things. My visit today was literally JUST a "pregnancy confirmation" with the nurse practitioner - pee in a cup. They also did a pap smear since I was due for one. Then, next week they want me to come back in for an ultrasound, and said they would later call me with the ultrasound results (I don't even get them right then and there!). They'll also do various bloodwork that same day. Then, in August, when I can FINALLY meet my actual doctor, it will be what they called "an initial OB visit" - educational information, pamphlets, and the like. A little silly for me to have my "initial" OB visit when by then I'll be days away from the second trimester! But I guess it's the earliest the doctor had available, so I have to wait that long. Like I said, Mercy just seems SO BUSY and I feel like, I don't know, just another "number" to them or something.

Anyway, a coworker of mine recommended Dr. Fivecoat, who would deliver for me at St. Joseph. Unfortunately Dr. Fivecoat is on maternity leave and so I would be seeing Dr. Katherine Dewey instead. I've read some reviews online and they all seem pretty good. I was also impressed because when I called today (after my disappointing visit at Mercy) they could get me in as early as July 16th to meet with Dr. Dewey for an ultrasound, educational information, and labwork all in one - instead of having to split it up in between multiple visits like with Mercy. But I have no experience with St. Josephs (the one in St. Charles) - is it a good hospital to deliver at?

My mind is spinning and I'm not sure what to do. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Re: Which doctor and hospital to go with - Mercy or St. Josephs?

• Options
    I just recently moved to STL and all my co-workers and in-laws are saying go to Mercy. Not one mentioned any other hosptial. If you are really unsure why don't you sign up for hospital tours at the 2 hospitals and have them answer any questions you may have? I'm sure the hospital tours are free and it couldn't hurt to do 2 of them. 

I looked into MOBap and Mercy and I personally like Mercy better. Did NOT do a hospital tour yet but I like the fact that Mercy seems to really care about your Birth Plan, they have tubs in 17 of the suites, provides birth balls and balance bars, labor and birth rooms are new and they have a new birthing center if you want more of a home-like birth with a CNM. (https://www.mercy.net/practice/mercy-birthing-center-st-louis)

^ Why is this a big deal for me? Because when I first gave birth in Tampa, FL @ St.Josephs Womens even though they were considered one of the best, they only had 1 tub and you had to request it like a month or two in advance, totally ignored my birth plan, met my doctor for the first time while pushing - realized I had a NP the whole time taking care of my pregnancy...horrible. Gave birth to a large baby and they were surprised. They all told me they didnt expect a large baby to come out and would of recommended a C-Section if they had known. Kind of unprofessional if you ask me. 

I would say STL has offered a lot more than what Tampa did -- and the hospitals seem a lot better and organized. Definitely take a tour