August 2014 Moms

Sleep Training and new Schedule

so i think the time has come when my mom is going to come stay and help me sleep train. She is going to sleep in my LO room and just ket him know she is there but let him cry. It breaks my heart to think about it but he has so many bad habits of waking up 2-4 times a night just for me to rock him back to sleep and we are both exhausted. I hope i can handle this and my LO learns fast. Tomorrow is the big night.

Also i need to change up his schedule a tad. Working on not nursing to sleep. Its hard cause i have to nurse in a quiet space or he is distracted. What does your daily routine/schedule look like, including bottles/nursing/solids and sleep times. I need help and im so overwhelmed.

Thanks!

Re: Sleep Training and new Schedule

• dogperson11dogperson11 member
    edited June 2015
    Clara (10 months) just started refusing to nurse this past week, so our routine is evolving with that change (and fitting my pumping in). She wakes and gets a bottle around 7am, goes down for a nap 60-90 minutes after waking for the day, naps for 60-90 minutes, bottle, around 12/1230 she gets more real food for lunch and another bottle, goes down for afternoon nap around 130, naps for 60 minutes (sometimes 90), then another bottle, a food snack around 330/4, small bottle at 5, real food dinner at 6, bath, bottle, bed at 7.

Any particular reason you think the sleep training will go better with your mom in the room? Seems kind if strange. Every baby is different, but we found that going in to soothe made it worse. Every time she saw us she would get more riled up.
    Married November 2009
    Clara, August 2014 
    Baby Boy due October 2017
  • Basically i was having my mom do it as i would have a sleep trainer. My mom is with my son 5 days a week so she is very familiar with him. Also she is very knowledgable in this area. Going in does esculate it but i just cant take the screaming for an hour plus! And im seriously when i say it will be an hour or more. So i figure if she is just in the room it might help, but im open to suggestions :)
  • Loading the player...
  • We've only had two nights of total sleep through the night, but he normally only wakes once a night and goes back to sleep easy. Bedtime is about 7:00 and we have a pretty set bedtime routine which includes a bottle. He's awake about 6:30 give or take 30 min depending on the day. We have our bottle and about 20 min later breakfast of fruit and yogurt). He's awake 2-2:30 hours then naps for about 2 hours. After nap it's another bottle then lunch between 12-1:00. Nap #2 is usually about 2:00 for 90 minutes. He gets another bottle after nap and sometimes a snack of veggie puffs and cheese. Dinner is about 5:30. I'm not too hard and fast on times. he seems to do pretty well on that...if he isn't teething or something! I hope you are able to find something that works for you! I know you have been struggling with sleep. We let our LO cry for certain habits we were trying to break and it was hard! After about three nights though, he did really well. It took me a while to be okay with that, but once I could distinguish between an "I really need you" cry and a "i just want you" cry it helped!
  • Oh, and I did that a couple nights too, slept in his room. It was while he was teething and I think it helped him to hear me.
  • How did the first night go?
    Married November 2009
    Clara, August 2014 
    Baby Boy due October 2017
  • Clara (10 months) just started refusing to nurse this past week, so our routine is evolving with that change (and fitting my pumping in). She wakes and gets a bottle around 7am, goes down for a nap 60-90 minutes after waking for the day, naps for 60-90 minutes, bottle, around 12/1230 she gets more real food for lunch and another bottle, goes down for afternoon nap around 130, naps for 60 minutes (sometimes 90), then another bottle, a food snack around 330/4, small bottle at 5, real food dinner at 6, bath, bottle, bed at 7. Any particular reason you think the sleep training will go better with your mom in the room? Seems kind if strange. Every baby is different, but we found that going in to soothe made it worse. Every time she saw us she would get more riled up.

This is very much what our schedule looks like. We did sleep training 2 weekends ago and it went MUCH better than I expected. We found that going in to soothe also made it worse for my LO so we just let him CIO. The first night was the worst - he was on and off crying for an hour, then asleep for 30 minutes then on/off crying for 30 more minutes and then finally back to sleep. 2nd night was only about 30 minutes of on/off crying and that's it. And he's been sleeping thru the night ever since (my STN I mean, he may still wake up but doesn't cry or if he fusses it's only for a couple minutes before he puts himself back to sleep).

He's up between 7-7:30 and I nurse when he wakes. Nap around 9:00 (60-90 minutes). Lunch and nurse/bottle around 11:30-12:00. Nap between 1:00-1:30 (60ish minutes). Snack and nurse/bottle around 3:00-3:30. Dinner around 5:00. Bath at 6:30. Nurse and bed. Sometimes he's asleep when I put him in the crib, sometimes he's not. Just depends on the night. If he's not he'll just roll around and play/talk to himself and eventually falls asleep. I think we may think about pushing bathtime back a little to 6:45 or so.

• @dogperson11 it is not going good. He doesnt even want to go into his room now. He cries every time we get close to the door. My husband and my mom were the ones who kept telling me i need to just let him cry a little. Well i let him cry 12 min, i was sitting in the room with him and my husband came in and said he thinks thats enough. Im exhausted, frustrated, emotionally drained and im honestly just over it :( eventually he will sleep through the night.

Thanks to everyone who posted about their schedule. My daily schedule looks very similar. Its just the night times that were a struggle and now they are even worse then before.
  • jdrdnrjdrdnr member
    My lo has back tracked. She was sleeping from 9:30-8 without waking up. We went on vacation and now she is waking up every couple of hours and if I put her back in her bed asleep she wakes up screaming till I pick up back up. She will sleep all night in our bed if I'd let her. Good luck with your lo!
  • Try the book entitled "Baby whisperer" seems to have good, but different advice in relation to helping babies fall asleep and stay asleep.