February 2016 Moms

1st Midwife Appt Experience Wanted!

This will be the first time that I have a midwife and so I'm curious what other's experienced on your 1st appointment.

I will be 10+4 weeks.

Thanks!

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFruit Ticker

Re: 1st Midwife Appt Experience Wanted!

• Following! This is my second (well fourth technically- this will hopefully be second baby!) pregnancy but with my first, I didn't switch to a midwife til halfway through. I'm not sure what to expect but am prepared that there will probably be no ultrasound...

I assume pee in a cup and lots of talking/question about pregnancy basics. Maybe a uterus check? I can't remember when you're supposed to be able to feel the uterus but I'm thinking around 8weeks? I bet she'll do a pap if I'm due for one too.

Midwives do everything an OBGYN does (except surgeries obviously) but take a more hands off/ holistic approach instead of seeing pregnancy as a medical condition that needs treatment.
  • We went over my birth history, talked a ton to see if we'd be a good match, discussed diet and concerns I had. I asked about risking out of her care, her transfer process, emergency procedure etc. Then she took a urine sample my weight, blood pressure and we made another appointment.
  • Loading the player...
  • We went over my birth history, talked a ton to see if we'd be a good match, discussed diet and concerns I had. I asked about risking out of her care, her transfer process, emergency procedure etc. Then she took a urine sample my weight, blood pressure and we made another appointment.
    Pretty much this.

KBJ-SEJ married 8.18.2012
    BMJ born 5.27.2014
    MMC 7.2.2015 @ 5w5d
    SMEJ born 6.5.2016
    BFP 6.8.2018 EDD 02.18.2019

• I'm wondering if they will try to hear the HB w/ a doppler.  I'm thinking my OB did this at my 12 week appointment.

I had an u/s and first OB appointment to do my pap, check cervix, etc., so hopefully no internal check will be needed.  But now I'm transitioning to the midwife!

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFruit Ticker
  • You can feel the top of the uterus (fundus) at about twelve weeks, maybe a little earlier with multiples or second pregnancy or depending on size.
    Anyway thanks for posting this! I went to an OB with the first pregnancy and mc at 10 weeks. I am scheduled for my first appointment with a midwife this time at about 9 weeks. It nice to kinda know what to expect