April 2015 Moms

Pyloric stenosis - often misdiagnosed as reflux please read

hi this is my first post and is about my 11 week old baby boy who has just came home after open surgery following a diagnosis of pyloric stenosis.(a condition affecting the stomach stopping food getting through symptoms are similar to reflux. My son had lump in stomach which was referred as suspected hernia but was u fact the stomach muscles poking out)

After 5 doctors failed to spot my sons medical condition over the course of 5 weeks I took him to A&e after 24 hours of continuos projectile vomit (the day after the Dr had prescribed me gaviscon and said the phase will pass) and my son was admitted and treated for severe dehydration before being fit for surgery.

I feel so guilty and my heart hurts for my son when I think of how uncomfortable he was the last few weeks and wondered if anyone else had or knows of a similar experience.
He had to stay in hospital for 5 heart wrenching days and was subjected to many tests and uv fluids leading up to the operation.

How common is it for this to be misdiagnosed? How long is recovery from open surgery when keyhole surgery failed ? I have the medical answers I just wanted some real life opinions or stories as there is not much information or support available.

Thanks for reading xxx

Re: Pyloric stenosis - often misdiagnosed as reflux please read

• Hi my son had pyloric stenosis, if u use the search function u will find my post. We were lucky we caught it when he was just three weeks as he was the same as ur little man, vomiting non-stop and getting dehydrated. He had keyhole surgery and he recovered really well. I know it must be horrible for u but there is no way u could have known, it was up to the doctors to spot it so please don't beat yourself up about that! It is so commonly misdiagnosed as reflux as u said because they even said that to us in the beginning. Another thing is recovery, although it's horrible at least ur little man is not on the move or able to pull out stitches etc. which he might do if he were a bit older so his recovery should go smoothly. And lastly the operation is a great success, u would never know my little man had problems with his stomach (he is 13 weeks now) and he is feeding and growing like a champ and is a smily happy baby so although this is a rough period at the mo it will pass and he will be fine xx Just cherish all those cuddles with him and don't worry because although u will never forget it, he won't remember a thing!! Wishing ur little man a speedy recovery xx
  • Loading the player...
  • I was having the same problem with my 10 week old daughter she was projectile her milk and constantly vomiting the doctor said it was reflux and gave me Zantac for her I also changed her milk to enfamil AR (for spit up) and it seems to work. When I ran out of the Zantac she would throw up a lot like before. The moment I started to give her Zantac again it started to reduce the spit up although my pediatrician thinks the Zantac was not going to help if i continued to use it. Boy was she wrong. My daughter is gaining weight even when she would vomit which is a good sign I hope. Thanks to you ladies I will keep an eye out on the vomiting and projectile. This was really good to know especially for a first time mom like myself.