March 2015 Moms

Inlaws...mostly venting

I honestly hate to say this. I want the biggest fan of my inlaws to begin with. My husband and I weren't supposed to be able to have kids, he had leukemia and as a result the doctors told us - after testing - that he was sterile. Well when we found out his dad's response was 'well THAT wasn't supposed to happen'. Honestly made me feel like he suspected me the whole pregnancy. Now that he's here they never ask to see him - but when they do they make passive aggressive comments about how they don't see him as much as his 'maymay' my mom is French Canadian and goes by memere for grandmother and that's not at ALL how you pronounce it. My mom has a whole bedroom at her house. All the diapers. All the supplies. She's let me stay at her house once a week since he was born to get sleep AND keeps him every Friday for them to have a relationship not for my husband and I. Though. It's been great to have date nights. My husbands parents hardly ever see him. And I'm always here, I'm constantly telling them to come see him whenever. Then when they DO come see him it's like they're way more interested in getting a picture than actually spending time with him. They stay for 15 minutes and go.

My mother in law was here today and stood two feet behind me while I was trying to change a diaper and she kept making comments about 'oh look your mother has it figured out'...HONESTLY. She stood there the whole time I rubbed his eczema cream on him and acted like I was holding out on her. Then after I finally got him dressed she yanks him from me.

She also came over an hour before I told her to - and argues about time constantly. She doesn't h see stand why we won't bend to her schedule. He has a schedule and he has to stick to it or I'M the one who has to deal with him later.

UGH.

Sigh.

Thanks.

Re: Inlaws...mostly venting

• Ugh, that sucks. My personal favorite is when visitors screw up the nap schedule and then LO has a freak out when he's too cranky/exhausted to eat, and too hungry to sleep. Good times...
  • Eww. What's up with all these rude ass in laws?!?
  • Loading the player...
  • Mine screamed bloody murder when she was off schedule and my mil says "wel if they actually fed you the you would be happy." Or if she was in bed at 10pm at night she would be happy too... Seriously I feel your pain. Hang in there... It's tough!
  • soxgurlsoxgurl member
    edited June 2015
    Ha. I'm pretty sure mother in laws mostly suck in general. The last time mine was over She asked to feed the baby. I hate when she does that because she never burps the baby enough. While she was feeding the baby me and my boyfriend were having a conversation. The baby heard our voices and started looking around. She said to my daughter "you hear your mother. Never mind mommy finish your bottle" excuse me!! Don't ever tell my child to never mind me. She drives me nuts!!
  • How annoying. I have my own issues with mine. I know how you feel. I hope it gets better!
  • My inlaws are exactly the same. Constantly telling me how I should be doing things and what I shouldn't be doing for my daughter (as they always know best). I won't take my daughter round to their house, as they smoke in the house and both have a problem with alcohol. They take no precautions in case we swing by for a visit but they always expect me to be making the effort. They spend every Friday, Saturday and Sunday up the pub when they're not working and expect me to take her up there to see them. They don't see my daughter unless they come to her. I've told them this, and I've told them my LO doesn't need to spend every day of the weekend in a pub! My other half seems to think this is acceptable even though I push my concerns onto him.