3rd Trimester
Options

Gestational diabetes after normal test?

So I told my grandma a few weeks ago that my test for gestational diabetes was normal. Except she said to me that I should watch it cause I could still get it? which I mean regular diabetes sure if I'm not careful but gestational diabetes after a normal test?is that at all possible that you could get it even if you had a normal test?

Re: Gestational diabetes after normal test?

• Options
    Yes... I passed mine at 27 weeks and failed a retest at 37 weeks. Although at that point it was pointless because I was going to be induced at 39. But it can happen. If you are really active try your hardest to stay that way and stress can affect your blood sugars too.
  • Options
    My midwife said you can develop gestational diabetes at any point in your pregnancy.
    Elizabeth 5yrs old Jane 3yrs old

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Insulin needs triple during pregnancy. I passed the 3 hr at 16w, and failed the same test at 30w.
    TTC since 10/09 Me-43 DH-44 RE and testing 10/10-11/10, Recommending IVF 1/11 New RE AMA and DOR-DH low motility IVF #1.1 cancelled 3/11 due to poor response IVF #1.2 May 2011, one perfect 8-cell embryo, 3dt-BFN, IVF #2.1 Converted to IUI d/t poor response. New RE 9/2011. IVF 2.2 completed using HGH,EPP,DHEA, Q-10 and accupuncture. Transferred one 8-cell, grade one embryo on 10/19. BFP 10/31/11 Chemical pregancy on 11/2/11. Started stims for IVF #3, our final try, on 12-2-11. ET on 12/18. Transferred 3 Grade A embryos-BFFN Planning DE IVF, late March/early April- Donors ER expected to be 4/2-4/4. PAIF/SAIF welcome
  • Options
    I passed at 22 weeks and failed at 30. So yup.
  • Options
    curious if you passed, why did they retest? (for the ladies who said they took the test twice and failed second time) 
    what factors/sign/symptoms did you have that caused OB to order a retest? 
  • Options
    Oh mine was because of fluid levels that were elevated and seen in an ultrasound.
  • Options
    @celiacmama I was tested early because my mother is diabetic. I wasn't and didn't have any symptoms. My OB just always checks again because GD is more likely to surface after 28 weeks.
  • Options
    My best friend also had this happen. Passed 27 weeks & by about 33 weeks she had a huge growth that made doctors wonder what was up. I suggested getting tested again (I have GD every pregnancy) & sure enough she had full blown GD.
  • Options
    I was tested a 2nd time because of a larger baby with last pg. I was treated as GD, even when test negative. Second test was ordered to confirm diagnosis, and/or so I could stop monitoring sugars 4x/day and so that a treatment plan could be initiated for GD.
    TTC since 10/09 Me-43 DH-44 RE and testing 10/10-11/10, Recommending IVF 1/11 New RE AMA and DOR-DH low motility IVF #1.1 cancelled 3/11 due to poor response IVF #1.2 May 2011, one perfect 8-cell embryo, 3dt-BFN, IVF #2.1 Converted to IUI d/t poor response. New RE 9/2011. IVF 2.2 completed using HGH,EPP,DHEA, Q-10 and accupuncture. Transferred one 8-cell, grade one embryo on 10/19. BFP 10/31/11 Chemical pregancy on 11/2/11. Started stims for IVF #3, our final try, on 12-2-11. ET on 12/18. Transferred 3 Grade A embryos-BFFN Planning DE IVF, late March/early April- Donors ER expected to be 4/2-4/4. PAIF/SAIF welcome