Parenting after 35

When/how often to pump to build freezer supply?

I started pumping this week, in hopes of both allowing DH to help with feedings and also to start stockpiling milk so that we have a good supply on hand when needed.  The pumping itself seems to be going ok - I've been trying to pump once per day, and I get 2-3 oz per breast each time I pump, which give me two bottles for the fridge.  However, since DH is helping with feedings, those two bottles generally get used up within 24-48 hours, so I haven't actually been able to store any milk for the future yet.  

For those experienced pumpers out there, do I just need to pump more often, and how will that affect my supply?  What's the best time to pump - before, after, halfway between feedings?  I'm finding it hard to put it all together, since LO's feeding schedule is still so unpredictable, but I'm hoping to try to get myself into a pumping routine to start stockpiling, if possible.  Thanks in advance for any advice!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: When/how often to pump to build freezer supply?

• Pump in the morning, 1 hour after baby's first morning feed during daylight hours. Pump again right before you go to bed. Also, if DH gives a bottle, you have to pump then too, so your supply doesn't drop. Sorry. :-(

Sincerely - someone who had WAY too much milk for both babies, donated over 200oz x2, and still had enough to stop pumping at 11 months and just give DS the rest of the freezer stash

**siggy warning**

Current Age 35, DH 33

Married 9/2011

BFP 8/2012, Miscarried 9/2012

BFP 9/2012, DS 6/2013

BFP 6/2014, Miscarried 7/2014

BFP 7/2014, DD 4/2015

• Thanks for your advice!  I will start trying the twice a day routine - after morning feed (assuming LO lets me put him down long enough to pump...) and before I go to bed.  DH usually gives a bottle during his portion of the overnight shift, when I'm sleeping, so I'm not sure how I feel about giving up my only guaranteed four-hour sleep time to pump...  but if it's going to affect my supply...  fun times!  Thanks again!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I can't tell you how many times I've used a hand pump on one side while holding the baby on my other arm.

As for the sleep thing, that's up to you! I got used to 30 hour hospital shifts during residency, so night feeds are a cakewalk compared to that. But it doesn't last long. Oh, sure, it feels like forever when you're doing it though.

**siggy warning**

Current Age 35, DH 33

Married 9/2011

BFP 8/2012, Miscarried 9/2012

BFP 9/2012, DS 6/2013

BFP 6/2014, Miscarried 7/2014

BFP 7/2014, DD 4/2015