December 2014 Moms

Bad reaction to pears!!

TichristTichrist member
edited June 2015 in December 2014 Moms
my 6 month old lo threw up all over himself about 5 hours after eating pears for the first time. He didn't have a fever but his little face was blotchy. The throw up even went into his poor little eyes...I had mixed an entire clear gerber container into 2 oz of rice cereal. He ate the entire thing...did I give him too much or is he just allergic to pears? I feel so awful!:(

Re: Bad reaction to pears!!

• Woah, way too much food. I have fed my little one a teaspoonful and maybe a tiny bit more from teething crackers( they keep her occupied while we eat). I would try again only just a little bit and see what happens. I don't think they should be eating a whole container of food yet.
  • Oh really?! Oh my god! Thank you! I had no idea....first time mom. So you start with a teaspoon and gradually increase?

I had done the whole container...:(
  • Loading the player...
  • a baby will let you know how much they want to eat.  it could've been the rice cereal or the pears.  Has he ever had either or any food before this?  at 6months, a baby can eat a whole container, but I usually space the food between nursing sessions. 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

• Am I feeding my 6 month old too much? I'm a ftm and based on the above comments I feel I'm over feeding.

I started at 4 months.

By now, she eats 3/4 of a baby food jar for breakfast, another 3/4 for lunch and another 3/4 for dinner. In between and after each solid, we do breastmilk. She eats the food but maybe the last few spoons she whines but I persist til she eats it. I don't even know why I do that. Any opinions are welcome.
  • My girls each eat about 2.5 ounces (give or take) of food at a sitting, followed by 3.5 ounces of milk twice a day. The other four feedings it's just 6!ounces of milk.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • stejjystejjy member
    I don't think I'm over feeding my cherub, he has weetbix mixed with half a jar baby fruit for breakfast, the other half for lunch, and however much he wants from a baby food jar for dinner. He's putting on the right amount of weight and his dr isn't concerned.

It's common for them to spit up some solids, especially when they're new to it. I'd try them again separately, and also check in with your dr.
  • My girl is eating 3-4 tbs of fruit/veg plus rice cereal 3 times a day plus 4-6 milk feeds and is happy, so I'm not worried, but it seems like s lot for such a small girl still under 6kg
  • My lo is 7 months today at eats four 7-8oz bottles a day and eats morning and night about 2 oz of food per serving. I'm uping solids now to 3 times a day and we will see how that goes. Milk is still the main source of nutrition so I don't want to focus too much on feeding her lots of solids. I introduced meat this week so she's getting some iron from that and has tried almost every stage 1-2 veggie & fruit plus yogurt and all types cereals
  • nolanova85nolanova85 member
    edited July 2015
    I disagree with the first response that said it was too much food. Your LO would have indicated if he didn't want to eat anymore. Additionally, I am not a doctor, but I have certainly never heard of getting blotchy simply from eating too much. It was most likely some sort of reaction.

We do the purée pouches that are anywhere from 2.5oz to 4oz. My LO is currently eating about 2.5 pouches a day, in addition to between 27-31oz of formula depending on the day. I actually upped this amount after the 6mos appt at the encouragement of my doc. All babes are different.
    BFP on 4.3.2014
    EDD 12.10.2014
    DS #1 born 12.16.2014 - He's perfect!