Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

What is your best weaning advice or piece of information?

Hello,
My goal was to breastfeed until 12 months. I am now going on 15. My LO never took to bottles, and is still breastfeeding frequently during the day (I have managed to now only feed 1 x a night) and give him solids for lunch and dinner (and snacks) between nursing times. My LO wants to breastfeed for food, thirst, fun, comfort, etc. I can't imagine how to fulfill all of those needs with a sippy cup of milk/water. what did you find most helpful? Because he never took to a bottle, anything else but a boob is pretty unappealing.
Thanks.

Answers

• Does he have a lovey, or stuffed toy that he likes a lot? For the comfort aspect of it, when I decided to wean daughter (right at 1year) I started holding a small taggie right by the boob while she was nursing. For her it worked well, in that she started holding onto taggie while she nursed and then now uses it for a comfort object.
  • I have been my DS' pacifier, but he goes to DCP so did use bottle and now cups. He wasn't drinking much at DC and waiting for me, but then DCP found a straw sippy cup and that's worked well. My DD didn't drink WCM and stopped BF (addicted to a plastic pacifier), so we used dairy products to make up the difference. For DS, I have started pushing a stuffed animal on him which has worked so-so. Tonight in his crib he was chewing on the plastic ring of one of his stuffed animals and I was excited. When he requests BF in the middle of the day, a gentle "no" and distraction usually works, if he's upset I hold him and coddle him (until I can distract him), but if he is inconsolable I have DH hold him and coddle him. As I mentioned, I did not have to wean LO#1 (she stopped at 16 mo), so weaning LO#2 (albeit slowly) is a bit tough for me.

Unexplained IF/RPL

TTC#1 2003 BFNs, 2004-2009 imageimageimageimageimage 5 angels above

2010 IVF-PGS-FET#1, DD b. Aug-2011 image

TTC#2 2012 BFNs, 2013 FET#2, DS b. Nov-2013 image

TTC#3 2015 BFNs, FET#3 image (my 6th and last angel above)

Journey Complete.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker