3rd Trimester

How do you decide what to do?

I'm 43 and this is our first baby.  I'll be 38 weeks tomorrow.  Was at the doc today.  Cervix is fully closed.  Baby is head down, but she hasn't dropped yet.

Because of my age, my docs want me to deliver by my due date, perhaps even a week early.  Therefore, induction and c-section have been mentioned.

Today, doc mentioned possible c-section again.  He said they'd likely induce me if things don't progress so I deliver by my due date.  He then stated that 40% of inductions result in c-section.  He also said four other factors are considered for traditional vaginal birth: number of previous vaginal births (strike one), size of pelvis (strike two), age (strike three) and, I think, first time moms.  (I can't really remember because my head was kinda spinning by then.)  So, yeah, not a lot of things working in my favor.  He said they don't want to put me through all the labor if it's likely I'll have a c-section anyway, mostly due to my tight pelvis.  Nothing is written in stone though.

I go back on Monday and we'll see if anything's changed, but I'll be needing to make a decision soon, I suppose.  Fiance is not really in favor of c-section, mostly because he is worried about me.  I just don't know what to do.  I hear people say docs suggest c-section because it's more convenient for them.  But I also have heard stories of women in labor for hours on end and pushing for hours only to have a c-section because the baby can't pass.

So, I just don't know what to do.  My initial thought is to trust the docs and go with what they think is best.  (Makes sense, right?)  Anyway, just looking for some feedback from others who might have been in this situation before.

Thanks, ladies.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: How do you decide what to do?

• edited June 2015
    I'm at FTM as well so not much experience. But I think you should forget about what other people say ( stuff like "doctors love to push c-sections for convenience" and all that jazz) and do what feels right for you. In the end your feelings and opinions are the most important. If you feel most comfortable scheduling a c-section instead of getting induced, do it. Either decision you make is totally valid as long as you feel it is what's best for you and your baby.

Good luck mama! Either way I will be sending you T&P for a healthy baby at the end of it all!
    Anniversary 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I agree with PP-don't listen to all the "docs push c-sections" stuff and listen to your gut. I'm having my 5th c-section (6th baby!) Tuesday...I had the option to VbAC with all of mine and chose to listen to my gut and continue with sections, and it was a good thing I did! A few of my births would not have ended as well if I had disregarded my gut and tried a VbAC. Do what you think is best for you and baby, and tell fiancée that c-sections aren't as scary as they sound :)
  • Loading the player...
  • Please find an hour this weekend and watch "The Business of Being Born." I think it'll help you make a decision. 

BabyFruit Ticker

• Like others have said go with what you are comfortable with. I was induced and delivered naturally. Most I know who where induced delivered fine however age was not a factor. Either way induction or c section as long as baby is healthy that's all that matters.

I also heard about the c section is easier and makes more money however all my Dr's and nurses never mentioned a C Section even though it took over a day in the hospital for me to start labor then a few hours after that to deliver. I even asked multiple times (I really did not want a c) and everyone I spoke to said as long as we both where in no danger we where going natural.

Maybe discuss with you dr on how he feels about c sections honestly it seems from the way you stated as if you might be fine delivering natural and it will just save time and possibly a longer labor on you to get a section.
  • mamaloaf said:

Please find an hour this weekend and watch "The Business of Being Born." I think it'll help you make a decision. 

This documentary is heavily one sided and biased toward the creator's agenda. I don't think it will help you do anything except second guess yourself. My opinion, if you go the documentary route look for something more neutral.
    Anniversary 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Having a "tight pelvis" and being 43 are not reasons that OP should have a C-section. It sounds to me like her OB is clearly pushing her into something that she's obviously second guessing. It reminded me of the statistics that they discuss in the documentary regarding C-sections in the United States. I'm not advocating she dump her doc and get a midwife and give birth in a tub at home.

OP, I don't think you asked for opinions on what you should do, but if the reasons you listed above are the only reasons why your doctor wants you to have a C-section, I absolutely would not sign myself up for major surgery without even attempting a vaginal delivery. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

• I would advocate for non-stress tests once you go past 40 weeks (assuming your only high-risk factor is that you're AMA). Induction for a first-time mom does come w a heightened risk of c/s. Drs can't really predict how big your pelvis is, however. I pushed for 4+ hrs and had an unplanned c/s w my first, and then went on to have a VBAC w my second (who was significantly larger). But the other factors your Dr listed do increase risk w induction. But I would ask/push for waiting at least a few days past 40 weeks to see if you go into labor in your own. Good luck!
    DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• Thanks for all the advice and thoughts, ladies.  I really do appreciate each one.  

I really don't believe he was pushing me.  I think he believes it's the best choice.  The hospital where I am delivering has a lower c-section rate than the national average, by almost 3%.  

I think I'm just starting to get ramped up because it's almost time.  I sometimes can be a little bit of a control freak (yeah, yeah, I know, that's gonna have to go away real quick, lol), and I just am worried about making the wrong decision.

I'll talk to the do I'm seeing tomorrow (there are seven in the practice) and see what she thinks.  

Again, thank you all for your posts.

• MrsJG3MrsJG3 member
    You could always make two birth plans. One for a csection and one for a vaginal delivery. That way you still feel like you have control either way.
    DD: 8  DD: 3.5  DS:18M
    Baby #4 Due: 2/4/2016
    Feb16 August Siggy Challenge
    Favorite TV Mom

• I wouldn't in any case go straight for a c-section. I would at least try labor and an induction for recovery purposes. I don't know why a doctor would automatically count your body's ability to birth out without even trying labor first. THAT is what makes me skeptical about this doctor.

That said, your cervix isn't favorable for induction at this point. I would advocate for weekly or bi-weekly non-stress tests, and as long as baby and you look fine, there's no reason you can't continue on to at least 40 weeks.
  • I would like to point out that cervical dilation and pelvic size are NOT the same thing. Only a very very small percentage of women have a clinically small pelvis. Many women whose cervixes are closed go into labor on there own with no problems the very next day.

Personally I wouldn't have an induction or an elective cesarean before at least a week past my due date, unless there was real evidence of fetal distress, growth restriction or GD/PE
    <imageimage Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFetus Ticker>
  • I have very wide hips, and a very small pelvis. We did not know this until I started push. My Dr (who was tiny, with tiny hands), struggled trying to get my baby to descend straight (baby was at an angle). I pushed for several hours and ended up in a C/S. Baby was wedged under my pelvic bone. My Dr is Pro- VBAC and stated that I am NOT a candidate for it. I have an android (male) shaped pelvis, my hips lie.

That being said, I would have tried it again in a heart beat. I know that I at least tried.