3rd Trimester

Help! Cat in the crib!

I have the nursery set up just how I want it. Apparently, my cat finds it so comfortable and inviting that she decided to move in. She jumps into the crib and curls up like she owns it. I find her laying on the changing table too! Not only am I concerned about cat hair, but also I don't want her to smother the baby once she arrives.

I did a little researching and found this crib tent to put over the crib so that the cat can't jump in. Then I saw it was recalled, because it can cause injuries or death to the child. I don't want the door to the nursery to constantly be shut.

Any ideas ladies?

Re: Help! Cat in the crib!

• Line the crib with aluminum foil or some other noise-producing thing. When the cat jumps in, it will startle and jump out (hopefully). GL.
    Married July 2009, Rescue dog adopted September 2010, DS born June 2012
    Expecting LO2 in February 2016
    Ghost of MrsMuq
  • I had this problem with my bassinet and my 21 pound cat.  He eventually lost interest.  

Do you have another place for kitty to curl up?  My cats like baskets, boxes and the baby tub that my future SIL gave me.  Perhaps offering an alternative would also be helpful.

Good luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Once you put the baby in there, the cat will want nothing to do with the crib.
  • kristyn831kristyn831 member
    edited June 2015
    I second the aluminum foil. They hate the sound and the feel.

Me: 33, DH: 35
    Married 10/13, TTC since 7/13
    Dx: MFI
    IUI #1 7/14: BFN
    IUI #2 8/14: BFN
    IVF #1 11/14: 20R17M15F
    Transferred 1 three day embryo! 7 frosties!
    BFP!  EDD 7/27/15

• You could try double sided sticky tape on the bed maybe or see about a high enough gate so the cat can't jump over it
  • I'd try the aluminum foil and definitely talk to the cat about the baby coming.  She might want a little extra attention now and after baby comes.  Make sure you have a hat, blanket or something the baby wore to share with the cat before baby comes home (if possible) so she can get used to the new scent.  If you're comfortable with it, maybe a little cat bed in the room so she still feels welcome, but knows her bed is not the crib?  My cat liked the crib with our first and now with the second just goes and lays around the room, but not in the crib.
  • I was really hard on my poor cat when we came home with my first.  I was always scared she was going to do something crazy.  However, once baby came home she wanted nothing to do with her.  She was a little curious, but mostly freaked out about wtf that thing in her house was.  She liked to sleep in the baby's room before she came, but she wanted nothing to do with it once she realized that crying, screaming thing lived there.  You can try the foil method mentioned above, but I would also wait and see how your cat does once the baby comes home.

• Thank you all for the ideas! It's comforting to hear this might only a short term problem!
  • I worry a little about my two cats and the baby once he gets here. I was worried they might smother him, but I think his cries will keep them away. As for the cat hair, I don't even think about it. Barring shaving them and waxing them it is something the little guy is going to have to deal with.
    Missed Miscarriage 3/27 D&C 3/29/2012
  • Let me just say first, that is such a cute photo of your cat in the crib! And secondly, I'm a FTM, but I expect this can be worked out once the baby is here. I'm guessing your cat will keep her distance from the baby anyway, but if for some reason she doesn't, (while not ideal) you can just shut the door. 

I'm guessing my cat will be shut out of the baby's room, too, as he's a bit too curious at times!
  • My older cat loved the crib and change table. We just kept the door closed when DS was in there. Once she snuck in (DS was maybe 8 months) and when I went to get him from his nap, cat was curled up in the crib too. She was very interested in him and protective of him - like she comes to get me if he's crying. As soon as he was able, he wanted to pet her (he's not that gentle) and she just lets him. But she was very interested since day one. She was 11 when he was born.

The other cat, though, terrified of him (still - he's 20 months old). But she's scared of everyone and everything (except me, DH, and MIL who feeds her whenever we're away). She just hides in the closet all day. Or downstairs.
  • Our cat would also come and sit with me during middle of the night feedings and would nudge me if I fell asleep!  Hopefully all will go well and everyone will transition smoothly :-)

• edited June 2015
    amp61470 said:
    I worry a little about my two cats and the baby once he gets here. I was worried they might smother him, but I think his cries will keep them away. As for the cat hair, I don't even think about it. Barring shaving them and waxing them it is something the little guy is going to have to deal with.
    Cats smothering babies is an old wives' tale. There has never been a report of this actually happening. 

Also, being exposed to cat hair is good for the baby. Studies show that babies who are raised with pets have fewer instances of allergies. 
  • We looked at a condo once and the owner had a cat and a small baby. They put a screen door inside the regular door to the nursery. That way they could leave the regular door open and keep the cat out at the same time. I like the idea. But I agree - kitty may have no interest in the crib when baby arrives. Our kitty loves the crib too.
    CafeMom Tickers

• I read about a lady who dealt with this.  Her cat still went into the crib when the baby came home.  They ended up installing a screen door on the nursery.  Good luck. 
  • Exposure to cats is fine but breathing in cat hair as a newborn? I wouldn't like it either lol!! Our cats are scared of sheer curtains (like they won't go through them) so we are putting those in the doorway...this way we can keep door open. Some people use the nice old screen doors, or make high baby gates. My cats would simply wait for the foil to be removed so that wouldn't work for me...
    I may get sh** for this but I also see no problem with using a spray bottle with stubborn cats if its in the name of safety.
  • @MummyMegs I've had my crib up for a few months now and about a week with a spray bottle was all it took to train both of my cats out of it. Just for in case they turn out to be those weird cats who like babies or something. It's super effective and I don't think it's cruel in any way, especially since we did try by only saying "No" initially.

Married 4/13/13

Loss at 6 weeks 5/4/2013

Loss at 9 weeks 12/2013

Healthy baby boy 7/12/15

Due 1/6/18