Baby Names

James Morrison?

Our last name is Morrison and am leaning towards the name James for our son. However, I'm worried that the name James Morrison will constantly bring about comments about Jim Morrison or The Doors.  What do you all think? My brother is trying to talk me out of naming him James for that reason. 

Thanks for your input!

Re: James Morrison?

• I work with a Steve Miller... the reference will never go away. Don't do it.
  • Loading the player...
  • I wouldn't do it. If he were some fleeting rockstar, it would be different, but he's such a classic image.
  • In my opinion Jim Morrison is a rock star god and your son would be lucky to share his name!

But honestly, I think that James is such a strong, classic name that I don't see anything wrong with it. Now if your last name was Presley and you were thinking Elvis...

imageimage
  • As soon as I read the subject line I thought of Jim Morrison. I would also stay away from using a common first name with a somewhat common last name.

• It immediately made me think of Jim Morrison. I think maybe you should steer clear.
  • Snoflakes4evaSnoflakes4eva member
    edited June 2015

In my opinion Jim Morrison is a rock star god and your son would be lucky to share his name!

But honestly, I think that James is such a strong, classic name that I don't see anything wrong with it. Now if your last name was Presley and you were thinking Elvis...

BOXES

I would not consider anyone lucky to share the name of someone who died of a heroin overdose at 27.

Please consider other names.

• Let me just preface that my husband is a James. He's a 3rd. Now, his last name is brown James brown was evidently a horrible name to grow up with including continuous references to "sex machine" and " I feel good". He still gets it, especially from servers. Hein. James Morrison did not make me think Jim Morrison. Unless you go by Jim which reminds me of a middle age white guy.
  • In my opinion Jim Morrison is a rock star god and your son would be lucky to share his name!

BOXES

I would not consider anyone lucky to share the name of someone who died of a heroin overdose at 27.

Please consider other names.

I was being facetious - although I do love the Doors! :)

imageimage
  • 4N6s4N6s member
    It reminded me of someone famous and I didn't know it was jim and not James. Ha
    Before my time.
  • It's what I thought of too. But I love the doors so I kinda like it

• Coming from somebody whose husbands name is Andy Gibbs I'd say stay away from James. My mil swore 27yrs ago that nobody would even know who Andy Gibb was by the time my husband was older. Boy was she wrong...to this day he still gets made fun of or asked if there's any relation. As long as there are people who know of the doors/jim morrison your child will get asked abouti & possibly made fun of. If it doesn't bother you it's one thing, but you do have to think about how your child will feel years from now. If everyone's initial reaction to the name is Jim Morrison of the doors then you might want to stay away from it.
  • Let me just preface that my husband is a James. He's a 3rd. Now, his last name is brown James brown was evidently a horrible name to grow up with including continuous references to "sex machine" and " I feel good". He still gets it, especially from servers. Hein. James Morrison did not make me think Jim Morrison. Unless you go by Jim which reminds me of a middle age white guy.
    OMG my husband keeps suggesting we name our future son James and we're Browns, too!  He doesn't think anyone would get the reference.  *eye roll*  It's off the table anyway because I can't deal with people calling my kid Jimmy, and I refuse to be that mom who gets pissy about her kid being called a common nickname.