2nd Trimester
Options

Has anyone had a glass of wine?

2»

Re: Has anyone had a glass of wine?

• Options
    I think it's a personal decision. I won't have any alcohol during my pregnancy but I have and will continue to get my hair colored, which I'm sure some people will want to report me to CPS for doing. But the bottom line is, it doesn't matter what anyone on here says about it - the only opinion that matters is yours and your doctors.
  • Options
    I had maybe half of a tiny glass of diluted wine weeks ago (more white grape juice than anything). It's not a popular choice, which is totally understandable. In NO way am I trying to say going on a bender every weekend is okay, but a sip or two here or there will not hurt. Ultimately it's up to you though, if it makes you uncomfortable and like you need to hide it from the world, you probably shouldn't do it. And if you decide it's not worth the risk/judgement, you only have a little while more to wait. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Not going to lie... I went and bought a few bottles earlier this week so I can enjoy a glass here and there later on in my pregnancy. I'm currently 14w5d and wanted to get a few so I don't have to deal with the side eye of going to the liquor store with a belly! And there is no way I am trusting DH to pick out my wine for me! To be fair I made a point of picking out the bottles of my favourite grapes with the lowest alcohol content.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I love wine. I love really good wine. I sell it so I'm around it often. I have been to a few occasions where I felt I would either "cover up" the news early on (bc noticeable if I wasn't drinking) and other times when people did know that I wanted to indulge and feel apart of an occasion (2 weddings this summer) - I have found that "enjoying" the 1/2-1 glass maximum suggested isn't really even that enjoyable. Most banquet or restaurant wines kind of suck. So not even worth it. We did go to a fancy dinner that had some fabulous wines and I had a total of maybe 1 glass of tasting. It was nice but don't really see myself doing it often at all, or drinking beer and certainly not hard alcohol (the smell alone makes me want to vom.) but good luck and don't let people tell you what's right & wrong,
  • Options
    I'm glad you asked this question I'm wondering the same thing. Im 17 weeks now and too scared to drink it. I bought a bottle of my favorite wine but I feel guilty so I just opened the cork and smell it when I get the desire to drink. Lol
  • Options
    I had a small glass the other night with dinner, I'm 27 weeks, it was nice but it hit me after just a couple of sips. I made it last all through the main course and dessert, I have never made a small glass last that long.
  • Options
    I have personally just tasted some wines my husband has had recently had (ie. "Hey, this is really good wine."  "Oh, can I taste?").  Not the end of the world.  Truly, I haven't really wanted a glass of anything, but I wasn't huge into drinking pre-pregnancy.  In reality, a small glass of wine is probably much healthier than all the pop I see women drinking in substitution to alcohol.

TTC #1 10/2014
    Low progesterone
    BFP 05/2015
    Baby boy born 01/2016
    Currently: NTNP

• Options
    Oh thank God I live in a state where wine can be shipped to my front door- lol. Alcohol is dangerous to both mom and fetus and FAS is no joke. I think most of the recommendations to abstain come from the fact that our wine glasses can now hold a half bottle or more. I inherited some 1940's glasses and they are tiny compared to my new plates, but they hold the correct serving size. My Dr. said a few oz. wouldn't hurt, but I suggest measuring the actual ounces - you may be surprised at how much you actually get served. I haven't been able to drink - the smell makes me gag. I had a sip at a wedding and it hit me right away and made me feel drunk and not well. I've had horrible morning sickness, so that's probably just me. I do have a friend who drank wine and her daughter is perfectly normal and very smart.
  • Options
    You're not supposed to fill up the glass to the brim! Not even half way, but servers in the U.S. overfill because they charge ridiculous amounts for 1 glass. Seriously for 8 bucks I can buy a really good wine from the supermarket. 
  • Options
    It's really whatever you're comfortable with. As long as it's in moderation, it's probably fine. I didn't drink before I was pregnant so I can't exactly miss it. But I do miss rare steak haha.
  • Options

It's really whatever you're comfortable with. As long as it's in moderation, it's probably fine. I didn't drink before I was pregnant so I can't exactly miss it. But I do miss rare steak haha.

Not giving that up either.
  • Options
    I imagine the strong taste of wine would make me sick. Everybody is different, talk to your Dr about concerns (if any) and most importantly listen to your body it will let you know what the baby needs/wants.
  • Options
    I've had the teeniest sip - mostly I just smell the wine lol-- but I don't feel comfortable drinking it. I've had friends who had a glass every now and again, but it's not recognized by ACOG or the American Academy of Pediatrics as being safe. 

Do I think you'll cause permanent damage from imbibing a glass of wine? Probably not... but- why risk it?

"Dr. Michael Charness of Harvard Medical School gives just one example: “We’ve been able to show very striking effects of alcohol on the L1 cell adhesion molecule, a critical molecule for development, at concentrations of alcohol that a woman would have in her blood after just one drink.”

Feb '16 Siggy Challenge: Favorite Thing About Fall: Haunted Houses and Scary Movies! 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    No... Alcohol isn't that important to me either.

Ask for your doctor so you feel more comfortable :)
  • Options
    I say, as long as it's on moderation, go for it! They tell you NO alcohol, for the reason of the fear of you possibly abusing it. I had a few bites ofy hubby's frozen Bahama Mama about 4 weeks ago, and my baby os going strong still. Lucky for me, I was NEVER a huge drinker pre pregnancy, so I don't miss it at all. But IF I do, I resort to Non Alcoholic drinks. You can drink them without worries, and sometimes, the seem to taste BETTER! They're also cheaper to make. ;)