TTC after 35

fert report -- admittedly a bit upset

So we got our fertilization report this afternoon and i have to say i am a bit upset by it. We had 16 retrieved and only 7 fertilized. i don't have a lot of information beyond that. I missed the call from the in-cycle nurse and it was the end of the day. I am sending an email to my dr. tonight. 

A bit of background: For our previous cycle we had 16 mature eggs and 15/16 were fertilized. However, we used ICSI in that cycle because we did the PGS testing. This cycle our RE recommended we do a day 3 fresh transfer because we were doing so well on day 3 in the prior cycle we had 15 embryos and a high percentage were 6-10 cells with good quality). So for this cycle she said we did not need ICSI -- we had no medical reason to use it - we had just done it for the PGS testing which we would not be doing this cycle. It made me anxious to switch another variable given that part had worked so well so i asked several times and she said we would get similar fertilization rates with conventional fertilization. Last time we had a 94% rate and this time it was 44% -- not so similar....    If i had been given any indication that this was a chance i would have paid the extra for ICSI again as assurance. We could have afforded to tack that on, but i can't really afford another cycle. This was going to be our last one. 

My partner is being optimistic and says to focus on the 7 we have (and i know for some that would be a good result), but i am pretty realistic about it and at my age each day 3 embryo has only a 5% chance (and that is assuming a well graded embryo -- so we will have to see how many i have at day 3). We were really counting on quantity given my age -- the fact that i had a high ovarian reserve and that we had such good fertilization and day 3 results last time. If either of those had not been the case, i doubt we would have tried a second cycle.

sorry for the ramble. just frustrated and feeling i should have gone with my reasoning despite the dr's recommendations. 
Me (42) w/ partner for 16+ years
TTC #1: 11/2012 - 9/2013; 6/2014 - present
Follistim + TI (3x): All BFNs
Follistim + IUI (1x): BFN 
IVF #1: 17 retrieved,15 fertilized, Day 3: 15, Day 5/6: 3 biopsied
Result; 1 frozen blast (inconclusive PGS results)
IVF #2; ER: 6/22 16 retrieved, 6/25: 5 transferred (CP), 2 frozen
FET 9/17: BFN
Current FET -- Transferred 2 day-3 embryos - BFN

Re: fert report -- admittedly a bit upset

• Sending you so much love and support right now. I cannot even imagine going through all of these tests and procedures. You must be emotionally exhausted. Sending a huge hug your way and a TON of postivity!!!! Xoxo
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I'm sorry @dolphin012, that totally sucks.  I'd be very frustrated and disappointed too, especially since you asked several times about it.  Big hugs to you...  I'll keep my fingers crossed for your seven embryos!!
    *** Child & current pregnancy mentioned ***
    Me - 41 (PCOS), Hubby - 43 (healthy)
    7/2013 - Sweet baby girl born (Clomid + TI)
    3/2014 - TTC #2, return to RE 7/2014
    12/2015: IVF #1 transferred two great looking embryos - BFP!
    First ultrasound: TWO beautiful little heartbeats!!
    Harmony: negative; level 2: babies look great and are boy/girl! :) 
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm sorry. Positive enegery, thoughts and prayers for you and your 7 embryos!
  • Thanks ladies! -- especially for sending the good thoughts towards our 7 embryos as i am not doing very well with the positive energy for them right now. I sent an email to our RE and hope to hear back from her today. Hopefully, once i hear back i can move on and focus on them. Our transfer is set for Thursday. 

• Best of luck to you, so sorry you didn't get the results you wanted :( but 7 is something, you never know! *creepy Internet hugs*
  • @dolphin012 sending you prayers and happy thoughts
    H: 34 dx Azoospermia due to CBAVD from CF  
    ME: 39 IS FINE!!!  DOR and poor AMH/FSH/LH
    IVF/ICSI/PESA #1 Beta 1 373 Beta 2 1783 BOY/GIRL TWINS!! Born April 2010!!
    Natural FET 5/26/12 2 blasts Beta 1 207 Beta 2 513 Beta 3 1377 U/S 6/28 Pregnancy not viable d & c scheduled :( 
    IVF/ICSI/PESA #2 ER 11/15/12 Nothing to transfer :( 
    IVF/ICSI #3 April 2013 MDLF 3dt of 3 embryos, chemical :(  
    IVF #4/ICSI/MESA/CCS/FET EPP April 2015
    ODWU CCRM with Dr. Sch COMPLETE!!!! Put on acai supplement they are studying for DOR and embryo quality.
    DAY 3 Labs Drawn 2/26 put on vitamin D and calcium supplements
    Regroup and Protocol Reveal 3/04 "Bazooka Protocol" EPP with MDLF "Protocol 6 with patches"
    ER/MESA 4/10 ER 9 eggs retrieved MESA success found live swimmers :)
    Fertilization Report 6 eggs mature and ICSI'd 4 eggs fertilized normally
    Day 6 Report to Blast for CCS 4/16: 2 DAY 5 BLASTS BIOPSIED FOR CCS a 4AB and a 3AB!!!!
    CCS Results BOTH BLASTS CCS NORMAL!!!!!!  call on 4/24
    Regroup call to discuss CCS results and FET call on 5/20
    FET prep: CD 1 6/08 CD 3 Start BCP 6/10, HSG 6/12 Lupron Start 10 iu 6/17 End BCP 6/21 CD 1 6/23!!!
    Start vivelle patches 6/25 change e/o/d reduce Lupron to 5iu 6/25 Blood Draw 7/01, 7/08, 7/15, 7/19
    Increase vivelle patches 7/03 2 change e/o/d and 7/05 change e/o/d 3 and 7/07 4 change e/o/d add vaginal estrace 2x a day
    Lining Check/Blood Draw 7/08 and 7/15 End Lupron 7/18  Start PIO 1ml daily 7/18  Blood  Draw 7/19
    Flight to clinic 7/22
    FET 2 CCS BLASTS :):)  7/23 :):) YES YES both thawed and both fully expanded :):)
    7/26 :):) 3dp5dt PM very very faint positive FRER
    7/27: 4dp5dt Neg Digi AM but very very faint positive FRER PM POSITIVE DIGI CLEARBLUE PREGNANT 1-2 :):) 
    7/31:8dp5dt AM POSITIVE DIGI CLEARBLUE PREGNANT 2-3!!!! :):) 
    Beta 1 8/01= 408!!!!!!!!!! at 9dp5dt FET
    Beta 2 8/03 = 1014!!!!!!!!!! at 11dp5dt FET
    8/05/2015 AM POSITIVE DIGI CLEARBLUE PREGNANT 3+!!!! :):) 
    First Ultrasound: 8/20!!!!!! TWINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Genetics says BOTH BOYS!!!!!!!!!
    Second Ultrasound: 9/03!!!!!!!!!!

• I'm wishing you lots of luck with your embryos. <3
    TTC#1 since Jan 2015
    BFP 2/19/15  •  MMC found at 9 wks  •  D&E at 11 wks (age 36)
    BFP 8/29/15
      •  CP (age 37)
    BFP 11/18/15  •  DD born at 41 weeks <3(age 37/38)

TTC#2 since May 2017
    BFP 10/18/17  •  MMC found at 8 wks  •  Misoprostal at 10.5 wks (age 39)

BFP 2/16/18
      •  CP (age 39)
    BFP 4/13/18
      •  CP (age 39)
    BFP 5/07/18  •  MMC found at 10.5 wks  •  D&E at 11.5 wks 
    •  Testing showed it was a girl with Trisomy 22. (age 39/40)
    9/5/18 Diagnosed with diminished ovarian reserve (4-5 follicles, one ovary had none and was very atrophied)

RE says the low egg count is likely causing my recurrent pregnancy loss. Less eggs results in more aneuploidy.

BFP 9/24/18  • 
    CP (age 40)
    BFP 5/11/19  •  Fraternal twins  •  MMC found at 10w5d (Baby A 6w, Baby B 10w)  •  Misoprostal at 11 weeks (age 41)

• ((((Hugs)))), but fx that you'll get the BFP this cycle
  • I'm so sorry.  My fingers are crossed for you!

And don't beat yourself up about how things should have been done differently.  It's too late to go back in time, and you followed your doc's advice.  Just look forward, now.
    Me- 39 (turning 40 in April), TTC for the first time ever (since Jan 2015), low ovarian reserve
    Married 3/14/14 to my wonderful wife, but her sperm count is rather low
    TTC with frozen donor sperm and science

7 IUIs, 7 BFNs.
    2 IVF attempts, both cancelled and converted to IUI, both BFNs.
    Decided that my tired old ovaries are ready to retire.
    Next step- reciprocal IVF, using my wife's eggs, my uterus!  
    fresh 5 day transfer (2 embryos) 4/17/17- BFP! 
    Identical twins "due" 1/2/17 (but anticipated arrival sometime December)

• I'm sorry for the disappointing results, @dolphin012 I'm spending you all the positive thoughts I can.
  • Good luck with your transfer tomorrow @dolphin012!!
    *** Child & current pregnancy mentioned ***
    Me - 41 (PCOS), Hubby - 43 (healthy)
    7/2013 - Sweet baby girl born (Clomid + TI)
    3/2014 - TTC #2, return to RE 7/2014
    12/2015: IVF #1 transferred two great looking embryos - BFP!
    First ultrasound: TWO beautiful little heartbeats!!
    Harmony: negative; level 2: babies look great and are boy/girl! :) 
  • Thanks everyone, your support means a lot. I didn't have time to comment today as i was busy communicating with my RE and of course trying to work (oh right that...). But i did periodically check from my phone and appreciated your comments. 

Anyway, i won't go into all the details but i had a few email exchanges followed up by a good phone conversation with my RE. There definitely was a lot more information she had to share regarding conventional insemination vs. ICSI. And i definitely would have made the decision to stick with ICSI if she had answered my question with the information she shared after the fact. That part is frustrating, but i appreciated her openness and she seemed humble regarding the miscommunication. 

So trying to move on now and think positively about our transfer tomorrow!! A friend has been encouraging me to relax which i am working on. As a back-up i am required to take a valium prior to the procedure so that should do it :)