2nd Trimester
Options

constipated and in pain and im 18 weeks pregnant

kielenariakielenaria member
edited June 2015 in 2nd Trimester
I'm very constipated and it hurts, even when I push. What should I do?

Re: constipated and in pain and im 18 weeks pregnant

• Options
    I had this problem a few weeks back and I was beyond miserable! My doctor had me take miralax and colace. It really helped within a couple of hours. I wouldn't take the colace again though, because it caused stomach cramping the day after and I didn't like that.

I would call your dr and see what they recommend. I thought about trying an enema, before I called my dr, and I'm glad I didn't because they said those aren't recommended during pregnancy.

Be careful straining to have a bowel movement too, because that can cause hemorrhoids.

Good luck!
  • Options
    Give your doctor a call. This is a very common experience when pregnant so they should be able to give you a list of pregnancy safe treatments.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    rue:Drue:D member
    Call your doc and ask. Mine recommended Colace. are you taking any other meds? I had no constipation problems except during the short time I was on Zofran, and that was clearly the problem because I've been pooping normally since I stopped.
  • Options
    I can not recommend prune juice enough! A big glass followed by a glass or two of water. this has saved me throughout this pregnancy and may save you an undesired trip to the doc. Sometimes when I let it get out of hand it took a couple days of drinking to get things moving but for the most part by that night I had sweet relief. Up your water intake as well. Good luck. I feel your pain!
    Married:09/27/14 
    Baby N-Born:10/29/15
    Our Angel: EDD: 05/11/17. MC at 6 weeks
    Baby #2- EDD: 07/18/17

• Options
    My OB recommends colace. She said no to Miralax and other laxatives and no to an enema.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    *Lurker from 1st trimester*

Stretches/yoga when you wake up are a great help to at least alleviate some gas, and drink as much water as you can throughout the day with a stool softener like colace. Don't try to push either, it will backfire in a big way.
  • Options
    Just want to add, KIWI! One a day! Its a natural laxative, and miralax every day! Good luck! I hope things work out soon!

Started TTC in 2006, LOTS of trying, and trying, and 7 rounds of IVF with 13 embryos, 2 perfect little boys and 5 loses....
    All finished with babies, started to make diet changes, Keto, to be MORE for my kids, lost 30 pounds, still going, and 3 months in, I had a natural cycle, and then ovulated... Hubs and I are going to see what happens now... Maybe a natural pregnancy? After everything we have been through? Or just a return to normal hormones? We shall see what the future holds!

Baby Dust To All!!!

• Options
    I had the prenatal fiber+calcium gummies from target. Dosage is 2 per day, but until late 3rd tri I was able to stay regular with just one a day.
  • Options
    Smoothies with greens and berries and plain yogurt, veggie and fruit purrees, loads of fruit, probiotics, a lot of water.... And loads of walking.
  • Options
    Im 16 weeks and I am having pain around my belly button. Just concerned I work in a hospital so I do lifting here and there. I have an appointment tomorrow. So......idk just was wondering if anyone else had the same issue. Not my first child but each one is different.
  • Options
    If you are having gas pains, lay on your left side with a heating pad on the low setting for 3-5 minutes. It should help you burp or pass gas and alleviate some of the pressure in the meantime.

My OB okayed a Fleet enema, simple, saline and small, for relief within a few minutes when desperate.
  • Options
    Yup. I'm a week behind you and in the same boat. 

So i took a stool softener, drank prune juice and ate a ton of yogurt. And what came out was this soft, sticky substance that was still hard to push out. 

I'm not sure what you can do either - but i wanted to tell you you're not alone. 
  • Options
    I was constipated so bad a month ago when i was about 9 weeks along and it was so awful. I took Phillips milk of magnesium (which is really gross) and I took fish oil because it's a natural stool softener and drank so much water and took a fiber capsule and still nothing. The only thing I found that worked was Fleet glycerin suppositories that my sister in law told me about. They're safe and it takes about 15 mins to an hour to work. It's the best thing for constipation.
  • Options
    binpobinpo member
    I have been having same issue since first trim and I already have Hemorrhoid now. I am 17.6 wks and I manage with colace and metamucil as needed. All diet suggestions given above with lot of water and walking are good options as well.
  • Options
    I had this issue and I started drinking half my body weight in ounces of water and it made a HUGE difference. Other than that, juices and getting up and getting active!
  • Options
    I'm 19 weeks and 1 day and arrived in Tenerife 13 days ago and the day after I got here I was suffering really bad constipation as I have from around 8 weeks but I hadn't been to the toilet in 6 days and my boyfriend demanded I go to the hospital over here and get it checked out at the stool was there but couldn't pass as it was too hard and big to get threw. Sorry to be so gross. It was also very dry as iv been suffering bad sickness since 6 weeks I'm sick around 10 times a day and this particular week water was proving difficult to keep down. Anyway fearing our baby girl might be affected as I was in so much agony and frustrated we went to a private hospital over here 1 day into our 2 week holiday and a doctor had to examine how big the mass of stool was and revealed it was around 6 inches in diameter and was far too dry to pass so I had to have an enema and was on my own as my boyfriend wasn't allowed passed reception. As the doctor was Spanish I couldn't understand a thing and a translator was present after around an hour. They checked our girls heartbeat and it was worrying as I couldn't understand a thing. In the end after the enema and 45 mins pushing and squatting around a room. The stool came out. My mum was so worried and almost flew out here. I would advise you go to your doctor as you don't want the stool to build up and not be able to pass. I was hysterical in pain and agony and worrying about our little girl. If I'd of left it I would have had to have surgery they told me in the end. Cut out the fried food and bread and drink 3 litres of water to keep the intestines moving.

Sorry to be gross but never leave constipation. I learnt the hard way but luckily the enema worked for me. At home I used lactulose that I got from the pharmacy as bread was all I could keep down resulting in hard stools but I was stupid to not bring it.

Hope this helps :)