Breastfeeding

Leaking?

I'm 5.5 weeks PP and EBF. I produce a lot of milk (when pumping, I've gotten nearly 5 oz on one side) and the leaking is out of control. I will soak through a shirt at every letdown if I'm not wearing pads. I'm only pumping about 4 times per week to build my freezer stash, and I'm not engorged. Will the leaking ever improve? It's getting a bit frustrating that I can never go braless without the floodgates opening.

Re: Leaking?

• I hear leaking varies a lot among women. I'm 3.5 month pp and still need pads though the leaking is wayyy down.

I find the pads annoying too. I use disposables but may switch to washable ones.
  • Once your supply is well established and your past some of the newborn growth spurts the leaking should get under control. As the PP said it took about 3ish months for me not to leak everywhere and probably another couple weeks to make it unnecessary to pad the side I wasn't nursing on.
  • Loading the player...
  • rae430rae430 member
    Does anyone have recommendations of good reusable breast pads? I'm using disposables right now (Johnson & Johnson) but I find them a little uncomfortable.
  • I use disposable Avent ones and find them comfy enough. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I leak like crazy and soak through about 2-3 breast pads a day. I will have arches of milk that shoot a foot! I like lansinoh breast pads
  • My baby is almost 8 months old...still using nursing pads 24/7 and woke up with a soaked shirt this morning.

A friend of mine cuts her disposable nursing pads in half, says that's enough for her.
  • I'm 10 weeks pp and have been consistently leaking only on my right side and have tried all kinds of nursing pads, disposable and reusable. I really like the lily padz silicone ones. The pressure from it sticking to my breast has really help the leakage significantly.