Working Moms
Options

suggestions? What do y'all do?

I'd like to get a few opinions from you moms out there that might have some good advice. I'm currently 11 weeks pregnant (woo!). And I work for myself so I have a lot of spare time. I've decided that I want to go ahead and go back to school to start on my masters. But there are soooo many options these days. I currently hold a BS in athletic training. I originally started my masters in an accelerated nurse practioner program, however, after a couple of semesters I realized my heart was not in it. I have a much higher respect for you nurses out there. Some just aren't meant to be. So you mamas out there who have or are getting your masters, give me some advice. What did you choose and why? Do you love your job?

Re: suggestions? What do y'all do?

• Options
    I guess it depends on what you want to do - I came from a really specialized technical background, so I got an MBA to make it a little easier for me to transition to management.  It's a good all over education if you want to do more of the business-y stuff, not so good if you're looking to add/expand into a specialty.
    DD born 6/14/13 MC Nov 2014 BFP on Mother's Day EDD 1/6/16
  • Options
    Alli0322Alli0322 member
    edited July 2015

I'm a nurse with a BSN and I'm going to be going back for my master's as well. I'm going to be getting a Master's in Nursing Education with a certificate in Health Informatics. I got out of floor nursing and now I teach courses on how to use to computerized charting system that the hospitals in my area use - EPIC. I decided to get a MSN in Education so I can possible teach at the college level and have a clinical group, but I wanted that certificate in Health Informatics as to not close any of those doors since computers really are the future of health care.

Do you want to be in the medical field? You could do something like a PA - Physician's Assistant, but if you didn't like the NP program, I'm not sure that would suit you either. 

Like you said, there are a lot of options, but you need to at least narrow down what type of field first to go from there.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I got an MBA with an emphasis in marketing. My undergrad is communications, so I wanted more business experience since I work in financial services. It's kind of generic, but it was actually helpful.
    IVF, acupuncture, meditation and a miracle. 

Our sweet Valentine's Day FET.

• Options
    I feel you need two things-- passion and vocational soundness. So you might have a passion for British war poetry, but a masters won't have vocational soundness. I have a MS in Library and Information Science with an emphasis on youth services and schools and my k-12 teaching certificate. I figured out about halfway through undergrad I wanted to be a children's or school librarian but I didn't want to be a classroom teacher. My undergad was in psychology and creative writing and then I did the three year program to become a school librarian. I knew jobs might be challenging before but I wasn't aware how much and then in grad school the recession hit. At least in my state we seem to have constant cuts to positions in education and libraries and the number of well qualified candidates can be staggering for any position. I always had thought I would get hired out of school in a daycare or as a shelver but it turns out my level of education makes me undesirable for such positions. So I went back to school and started working on requirements for becoming a board certified behavioral analyst or BCBA. I knew there was a need in my area. I am now more than halfway, a Board Certified assistant Behavior Analyst, and am self employed part time at the moment working with kids and adulls with special needs. I did, after four years, get the dream job of school librarian but left my position because of a highly toxic environment. I will be subbing next year in addition to my clients and am focusing on finding a school that I can see myself at long term. I will also finish my special education endorsement this week because I do truly love teaching and that would be the other area I can see myself in. I am also going to get a second Masters in special education to get the full BCBA. It has been a big struggle salary and career wise but I feel good about the direction I small moving in. I knew behavioral therapy would translate to teaching and be an enjoyable summer job.

I would consider looking into that, behavior analysis or maybe something like occupational therapy. Take a look at your strengths and limitations and real life job prospects in your area.
  • Options
    rue:Drue:D member
    edited July 2015
    I just finished my master's in April. But I opted for an MBA with a concentration in HR management. My undergrad is in psychology and I work in finance, so to really move elsewhere in the company I needed the business experience. I chose the concentration because HR interests me.

Consider your job now - what do you do? Do you love it, and maybe just need an extra something to boost your career to the next level? That's basically why I did what I did. Do you have another career passion in mind? Consider pursuing that.