January 2016 Moms
Options

Constipation pills

I was prescribed constipation pills at my first appt but havent taken them. Do any of you ladies take some? Do you get diarrhea or is it just easier to use the bathroom? I haven't taken them because I don't want diarrhea.

Re: Constipation pills

• Options
    reishiareishia member
    edited June 2015
    I have some i take colace. It just makes it easier to go. I take it twice a day
  • Options
    vidatorr said:

I was prescribed constipation pills at my first appt but havent taken them. Do any of you ladies take some? Do you get diarrhea or is it just easier to use the bathroom? I haven't taken them because I don't want diarrhea.

Stool softener, benefiber, dried fruit, you name it I've tried it. Honestly, moving around and drinking lots of water if you can will make a huge difference. But after constipation you might just be in for a bout of diarrhea no matter what.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I take Metamucil, it doesn't give me the runs just makes it easier to go potty :)

I started taking it because I had sharp gas pains in my abdomen that woke me up and it was really scary. Once I realized it was just gas and started taking the Metamucil I felt MUCH better.
  • Options
    Okay thanks ladies! I'm supposed to also take them twice a day. I'll start tomorrow because I have bad gas pains as well.
  • Options
    I ate a half a bag of dried apricots once and now I'm convinced that's the active ingredient in pills for constipation. Try those?
  • Options
    Oh I misread the post lol. I took them after I have birth and it just softened things up. Definitely drink lots of water with it!
  • Options
    jjodomjjodom member
    I will say i am struggling with this as well. I have tried benefiber and colace with 0 luck. I have turned to taking dulcolax as a last resort. Maybe i should try the dried apricots. I need to talk to my OB about it though. its frustrating and makes me feel terrible :( 
  • Options
    It depends what kind of pills they are! I've had bad constipation in the past pre-pregnancy and have found that not much works and taking laxatives has made it explosively come out from both ends (srynotsry) but I know everybody reacts differently to everything haha

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    aphilli8 said:

I ate a half a bag of dried apricots once and now I'm convinced that's the active ingredient in pills for constipation. Try those?

Oh no...you are supposed to eat one or two!! That sounds like it was a horrifying night.
  • Options
    MamaHollandMamaHolland member
    edited June 2015
    Dried prunes are the most effective for me or colace which is over the counter.
  • Options
    Also for 3 days I ate fresh cherries and drank 3 liters of water a day. I think that worked faster than the colace and Metamucil honestly. I don't like putting to many meds in my body. I'm paranoid enough
  • Options
    Colace hasn't worked for me I need something because my back really hurts! It's been about a week since my last poop
  • Options
    For a serious natural fiber bomb I really suggest chia seeds. Two tablespoons of chia in whatever you like to drink, at least 8 ounces, 16 if you want more watery. Stir with a fork vigorously on and off for 10 minutes or use a shaker bottle. Drink and wait. It'll push anything through. And make sure you're drinking a lot of fluids. Don't do this more than once or twice a day. Start with one.
  • Options
    I take fiber pills and miralax every day, religiously.
  • Options
    Glycerin suppositories.
  • Options
    My husband is frequently constipated - but between this oatmeal https://us.naturespath.com/product/flax-plusr-hot-oatmeal and some FiberOne bars it is like he is a different person.
  • Options
    llmykllmyk member
    Prune juice helps, but I am not a fan of the taste.