High-Risk Pregnancy

Factor v and pregnancy

hi everyone! I'm 7 weeks pregnant with my first and have been previously diagnosed with the blood condition factor v. I know it can be a big issue or slide under the radar, so I'd love to hear if anyone else has any experiences with the disorder. I'm not sure what to expect and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't worried...

Re: Factor v and pregnancy

• Hi! I have Factor v as well, and when I found out I was pregnant knowing I had the blood disorder freaked me out too.. I'm 19 weeks now, and my doctor prescribed me enoxaparin sodium injections once a day everyday up until the last month of pregnancy and then they will switch me to a different blood thinning injection that will happen twice a day. You give yourself the injection in the stomach. I know it sounds scary, but it's not terrible! And you get used to it, I promise. If you get prescribed the shots and you have any questions on them, send me a message on here and I'll tell you what I do to make it easier. Best of luck!
  • Makes me feel better! Not sure about the injections tho so I will totally send a message if that's what they do for me. Thanks for responding :)
  • Loading the player...
  • My sister has Factor V and MTHFR. She had Lovenox injected twice a day until 34 weeks then switched to Heparin injections. I don't believe you can get an epi if on Lovenox and your blood can clot while giving birth. Check with your doctor. She has had 2 healthy pregnancies and babies!
  • I have Factor V and MTHFR as well.  It's not so bad, promise :)  I'm 33 weeks now.  Two lessons I've learned would be looking into getting injections mailed to you (it cut the price in half) and always keep a dose with you.  I've ran out the door in the mornings probably 10 times and forgotten to do my shot so having one with me just in case makes me feel better.  Also, wal-mart has alcohol swabs for $1 and check with your city for proper needle disposal.  I am able to dispose of mine in an empty plastic laundry soap container and that saves on extra expenditures.
  • Thanks for the feedback! I will have to do the injections, but my dr told me to do baby aspirin in the meantime.
  • Hi, I also have factor v and this is my first time being pregnant. When did you all first see your doctor once you had that positive test? The front desk ladies at my doctors don't seem to understand I have a blood clot disorder that makes me high risk and have told me she schedules appointments at 8-10 weeks. I called today to talk to the doctors assistant who said she would talk to the doctor to see when I should come in, but I'm wondering if I need to find a new doctors office. I like my lady, but her office staff is difficult sometimes. I just want to be sure my baby is and will be ok. Any advice would be wonderful.
  • LantryLantry member
    Hi, I don't have favor V but I have had DVT. My doctor wanted me in right away for blood tests and all that, and then I had my first ultrasound at 6 weeks to confirm the pregnancy. She then prescribed me lovenox right away. I would push back or try to find another doctor. 8-10 weeks is way too far along for someone who is high risk.
  • LantryLantry member
    6:17AM
    Hi, I don't have favor V but I have had DVT. My doctor wanted me in right away for blood tests and all that, and then I had my first ultrasound at 6 weeks to confirm the pregnancy. She then prescribed me lovenox right away. I would push back or try to find another doctor. 8-10 weeks is way too far along for someone who is high risk.
  • Thanks @Lantry . After not getting a response I felt comfortable with (or really a response at all) I set up an appointment with a different doctor. I meet with her tomorrow. Fingers crossed!