Cloth Diapering

Week 1- Build your CD stash

This started out from the Feb 2016 birth month group.  We are going to work on building our cloth diaper stash, one week and one diaper at a time.  My focus will be sewing and knitting my cloth diaper stash.  But I'd encourage mama's who are purchasing diapers (either new or used) to show off the diaper they bought this week.  I am going to highlight one diaper style or sewing method or way to upcycle.  So this is do-able even for mamas with no money or budget for cloth diapers.  You CAN make a cloth diaper stash for no money out of pocket!  I hope that each week's thread will have lots of photos and lots of useful links.  All mamas are welcome to join us and post.
Katie ~wife to my beloved, Scott for 25 years
mama to SEVEN +1 wonderful Waggoners
K~ 22yo, C~ 20yo, J~ 18yo, N~ 13yo, G~ 11yo, M~ 7, A~5 and baby due 2/12/2016

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Week 1- Build your CD stash

• wagvanwagvan member
    This week is going to be about explaining the basic terms, types of diapers, materials needed to sew diapers (both purchased and found to upcycle) and to hear what people's favorite types and brands of diapers are.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • You can use old wool sweaters to make wool diaper covers. Super easy if you know how to sew.
  • Loading the player...
  • wagvanwagvan member
    edited June 2015
    I'm planning on that!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • ecmbecmb member
    So what is required to up cycle a thrift store sweater into a wool cover? I think this is where I'll start. I have a sewing machine

Me: 32  Hubby: 31

Married 12/29/12

Started TTC July 2014

Miscarriage August 2014

Emmett born February 2016

Expecting Baby #2 in August 2017

http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/544e80

• ecmbecmb member

ecmb said:

So what is required to up cycle a thrift store sweater into a wool cover? I think this is where I'll start. I have a sewing machine

This is the tutorial I used https://scrimplythrifty.wordpress.com/2011/02/28/diy-wool-diaper-soakers/ I bought a wool sweater at a thrift store. I also used an old sweater of mine to make longies.
    Thanks!!

Married 12/29/12

Started TTC July 2014

Miscarriage August 2014

• Made one! I'd say that it is much smaller than I would have thought - I went with the small size, and I'm really glad I didn't attempt the newborn. (Don't have an outside baby yet to try it on, but EDD was six days ago, so hopefully soon!)

Thanks for the link, @meltwithyou. How did you find the sizing/fit?
  • ecmbecmb member
    Frogger5 said:

Made one! I'd say that it is much smaller than I would have thought - I went with the small size, and I'm really glad I didn't attempt the newborn. (Don't have an outside baby yet to try it on, but EDD was six days ago, so hopefully soon!)

Thanks for the link, @meltwithyou. How did you find the sizing/fit?

This looks great!

Married 12/29/12

Started TTC July 2014

Miscarriage August 2014

• Along the lines of wool covers, has anyone used fleece covers? Do they work?
    How about fleece inserts? Worth making some?

I'm a newbie when it comes to sewing and the whole "fluff" world but that has done nothing to curb my enthusiasm. :D
  • wagvanwagvan member
    Great job, ladies!  I sort of dropped the ball on this.  I have had the flu from hell the last few weeks.  I'll get back on here when I get my house cleaned up.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • wagvanwagvan member

BabyFruit Ticker
  • wagvanwagvan member

I see a lot of questions about all the different kinds fleece used in diaper making. I will list all the fleece, how they work, and how they can be effectively used in diapers. I will also list the kind of fleece to "stay away from" the ones that serves little to no purpose in diaper making

***Repelling Fleece

Blizzard Fleece- This fleece is considered thick. It is repels moisture back into absorbent layers. It is best used as the outer or hidden layers of a diaper. It is commonly used in fleece shorties, longies, and Hybrid diapers. It is sometimes used for Pockets or All-in-ones.

This fleece does pill after several washes.

Anti-Pill fleece- This fleece is considered thick. It repels moisture back into the absorbent layers. It is best used as the outer or hidden layers of a diaper. It is commonly used in fleece shorties, longies, and Hybrid diapers.

Compared to Blizzard fleece, Anti-pill fleece stays newer looking longer and resist pilling.

WindPro Fleece- This fleece is considered thick. It is very good at repelling moisture back into the absorbent layers. It is commonly used in Hybrid diapers. It is sometimes used in Fleece shorties, longies, or All-in-ones.

Windpro fleece is a trademark of Malden Mills textiles. You would have to either order from Mill Direct Textiles, or join a co-op that specifically offers Malden Mills fleeces. Some Wahm commented that Windpro is softer and more breathable.

Wal-Mart Fleece- This fleece is thick. It does not specify on the bolt if it is Anti-pill or Blizzard. This fleece does not repel moisture very well. It pills very badly after a few washes. This fleece should be avoided.

***Wicking/Stay Dry Fleece

MicroFleece- This fleece is thin. It wicks moisture away from baby's skin into the absorbent layers. It is best used as a inner, closest to the baby's skin. It is commonly used in Pockets, All-in twos, All-In-Ones. It is sometimes used in Hybrids.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • wagvanwagvan member

BabyFruit Ticker
  • wagvanwagvan member

BabyFruit Ticker
  • When I was pregnant and lurking on CD boards someone suggested crocheting or knitting your own wool cover.
    Pregnancy #1 DD 08.30.2007
    Pregnancy #2 Natural Miscarriage at 6 weeks 03/2014 Due date 11/9/2014
    Pregnancy #3 DS 02.23.2015
    Pregnancy #4 Missed Miscarriage at 11 weeks 11/2018 Due date 5/22/2019
    Pregnancy #5 Positive test 12/11/2019 Due Date 8/17/2020